MMA Megathread - UFC / Strikeforce / Bellator

Tyler Durden

Guest Medic

Hmm Florian wasnt looking too good when he took them power shots. Dont think he will chance much of a chance with Aldo's superior striking skills. Good win for him though. / Main event time!

Well done Dos Santos, him vs Cain will be a good fight, but I reckon aslong as Cain gets fully fit after the injury he'll have too much for him. The right man won considering Cigano was given the tittle shot but chose to fight Brock and then when that fell through fought Carwin, Rashad could learn alot from him, Now over to Strikeforce,

Guest Medic

No it wasnt televised, I'm going to try and find it online. Not surprised if he lost to a dodgy judges decision. Think I read to he's signed a 4 fight deal with the UFC, so we can still expect to see more of him.

Who do you fancy for next Saturday brah? Can Barnett even fight, with all the legal issues?
they#re saying Barnett will be kl to fight, but knowing Strikeforce anything can happen. Werdum Vs Reem will be one to watch, aslong as Overeem doesn't get sloppy, he should win, i Have never really rated Werdum even though he's probably the best Heaveyweight ground fighterand Barnetts wrestling should deal with Rogers but my mans got KO power so who knows

No it wasnt televised, I'm going to try and find it online. Not surprised if he lost to a dodgy judges decision. Think I read to he's signed a 4 fight deal with the UFC, so we can still expect to see more of him.
heard that's exactly what happened...was a good fight apparantly

Guest Medic
Who do you fancy for next Saturday brah? Can Barnett even fight, with all the legal issues?
they#re saying Barnett will be kl to fight, but knowing Strikeforce anything can happen. Werdum Vs Reem will be one to watch, aslong as Overeem doesn't get sloppy, he should win, i Have never really rated Werdum even though he's probably the best Heaveyweight ground fighterand Barnetts wrestling should deal with Rogers but my mans got KO power so who knows
Hoping Alistair has learnt from the Werdum-Fedor fight not to follow Werdum down should he drop him. He's already been submitted by him once back in Pride days. I got Rogers first round KO./Marquardt vs Rick Story next week Saturday, should be a good one. Marquardt welterweight debut, vs Story whos on a nice winning streak.

Marquardt could be a problem at Welterweight if he can sort himself out mentally, ive always felt that one of the big things holding him back is the mental thing. saying that though he trains with Gsp so will he even want a tittle shot, or does this mean after Gsp Grinds out a win against Diaz he'll move up to get beat by Anderson Silva, if Rogers beats Barnett it'll be oneof the biggest shocks in my oppinion despite the punchers chance thing

Guest Medic
Marquardt could be a problem at Welterweight if he can sort himself out mentally, ive always felt that one of the big things holding him back is the mental thing. saying that though he trains with Gsp so will he even want a tittle shot, or does this mean after Gsp Grinds out a win against Diaz he'll move up to get beat by Anderson Silva, if Rogers beats Barnett it'll be oneof the biggest shocks in my oppinion despite the punchers chance thing
GSP blessed him coming down to 170, so I can only imagine he intends to move up to middleweight.

interesting articlehttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tim_marchman/06/15/overeem/index.html?sct=mma_t12_a1Alistair Overeem, who owns about as many heavyweight titles he never defends as he does wins over impressive opponents, is a fraud. At those moments when you are tempted to think that fighting is, for all its bright promise, about the most thoroughly debased sport one can follow, think of this thick rope of Dutch muscle and despair.This Saturday in Dallas, Overeem will take the first really serious fight he's had in four years, a quarterfinal bout in the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix. If he beats Fabricio Werdum, it will be, speaking generously, the fourth impressive win in a long career, and the first since 2006. That such things can be said of a man widely, if inexplicably, held to be one of the best heavyweights in the world makes him a fine example of what you might call the B.J. Penn Fallacy.The Penn Fallacy occurs when a fighter is thought of as top rank despite there being no evidence that he is. It holds theory above practice and style above achievement, and lends support to all promoters who seek to carefully manicure the images of fighters who look or talk a part they can't actually play. It negates the very point of fighting, which is that it is a sport in which a man is wholly accountable for, and judged by, what actually happens in his fights. It is bad, and ought to be done away with.B.J. Penn deserves to have the fallacy named after him because he is widely thought of as a top welterweight contender despite not having won an important fight in that division since January of 2004, and thought of by many as the uncrowned lightweight champion even though he was thrashed twice by Frankie Edgar, his obvious better, last year. No amount of evidence that Penn is not actually a great fighter will ever convince some large part of the public that he isn't one, because he looks like one, has the physical skills of one, and occasionally does things that a great fighter might do, such as lick an opponent's blood off his gloves. The mere invocation of his name creates a quantum phenomenon, where failures are evidence of superiority and results don't matter.Similarly, even though there is no real reason to think that Overeem is a top fighter, he is commonly thought of as one. You don't have to ask too many hardcore fans to find one who thinks he ought to get the next shot at the UFC title. You don't have to ask too many more to find someone who thinks he's the best heavyweight alive.Why is this so? He knocks people out, he has been successful in another sport, he has title belts to wear, and his freakish muscles have muscles of their own to flex. All of this makes him seem like the sort of person who ought to swan around as a great heavyweight. That none of this counts for anything -- that physique doesn't rate in fighting, that a title belt you won by beating a bum and don't defend may as well have been bought on Craigslist, and so on -- doesn't quite seem to matter.This is bewildering. Overeem has fought 46 times, and has had every opportunity to establish himself as the man. His most impressive wins are a submission of and a decision over Vitor Belfort (himself a great beneficiary of the Penn Fallacy) and a knockout of Sergei Kharitonov. That's it. He spent the majority of his career as a guy good enough to face, but not good enough to beat, real top fighters like Chuck Liddell, Mauricio Rua and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. What made Overeem's reputation coming into the Grand Prix is a win in a K-1 tournament, which is only slightly more relevant than what he might do in a pickup game on a YMCA court, and a string of wins in the last four years against such has-beens as Mark Hunt, Gary Goodridge and Kaz Fuijita and dubious prospects as Brett Rogers and Todd Duffee. In perhaps his toughest test, a fight against a corpse-like Mirko Filopovic in 2008, he distinguished himself mainly by repeatedly striking his opponent in the groin. Imagine a pro basketball player dunking on fossils at old-timer's games for four years and then beating his chest over it while a cheering section proclaims him the best hoopster alive, and you have the last several years of Overeem's career.All of this has somehow made him the heavy betting favorite over Werdum, a man who for whatever his flaws has already beaten Overeem, in addition to Fedor Emelianenko, Antonio Silva and Gabriel Gonzaga, among others.You have to like style in fighting. It would be wonderful if B.J. Penn were some multidisciplinary dynamo capable of holding down titles in multiple weight classes at once, if Vitor Belfort were a uniquely dangerous tactician equally capable of knocking a man out with championship-caliber boxing or tapping him with deadly secrets learned while taking in the inner mysteries of Gracie jiu-jitsu, and if Alistair Overeem were in fact some deadly Dutch cyborg capable of decapitating championship-level heavyweights at will. All of it might be true; there is no reason to think any of it is. Overeem could well win Saturday. If he does, it would be the first time in years he's given the public a reason to take him seriously.Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tim_marchman/06/15/overeem/index.html#ixzz1PSc4HglO

Guest Medic

Hmm that article is harsh, and I cant help but think the writer is very bitter. "Similarly, even though there is no real reason to think that Overeem is a top fighter, he is commonly thought of as one. You don't have to ask too many hardcore fans to find one who thinks he ought to get the next shot at the UFC title. You don't have to ask too many more to find someone who thinks he's the best heavyweight alive."I dont think any MMA fan thinks Overeem is a top 10 fighter in the HW division. He wasnt at the highest level at 205, and thats where most of his losses have come. The loss to Chuck, which this guy wants to take a sh*t on him, when he was only 23. I dont think its fair.Also how the hell can he say that a K1 GP win is irrelevant? That makes no sense to me. Overeem wins an elite kickboxing tournament beating out some of the best guys out there and it means nothing. I bet if Cain Velasquez won an olympic medal in wrestling, praises would be sung till the morning dawn. The attack on BJ Penn is silly to say the least. Really, some of these MMA journalists are truly the worst.

lol.however if Werdum taps out Overeem, this guy will be lorded as a visionary who foretold it all, lolthe article actually makes me want Overeem to win even more now,and tbh i definitly put him in the top 10 at heaveyweight the question is is he in the top 5

Guest Medic

Yeah think I was too far with top 10 lol.I think the guy has valid points (about Overeem not BJ), just the way he has written the article in such a condescending and negative tone removes any credibilty.

Guest Medic

Damnnn that fight was brutal. KJ Noons got left looking like Hominick, good sh*t by Masvidal. Possible title shot vs Melendez could be his next fight.Barnett vs Rogers up next! Sticking with my prediction, first round KO Rogers.

Guest Medic

Well I was wrong lolBarnett wins by arm triangle in the 2nd round. Controlled Rogers in both round with superior wrestling.Barnett takes the mic WWE style drama, that showtime suit got sonned :lol:Loads of empty seats in the arena...