The First Black Person To Head a FTSE 100 company

neeko

Tidjane Thiam_45586356_183406-1.jpgTidjane Thiam's appointment as chief executive of Prudential is, we believe, a watershed moment for British business and should be widely celebrated.From my experience, you cannot underestimate the importance of an inspirational leader and the impact of an advocate at board level.I hope that Tidjane Thiam's achievements will inspire ethnic minority teenagers, entry-level workers and current employees to stand-up and be counted in the race for leadership.However, it should be remembered that Tidjane Thiam was born and educated outside of the United Kingdom.His success should not be claimed as a success for the promotion of ethnic minorities from classroom to boardroom in the United Kingdom.Urgent needEthnic minorities in management remain shockingly underrepresented in our workforce and, as has been demonstrated by research undertaken by Race for Opportunity, without concerted effort from business and government this situation will not change. Although I believe some progress is being made to achieve racial diversity in our workforce, there is an urgent need to address the overwhelming lack of ethnic minorities on UK company boards.If no action is taken now then the problem will not just remain, it will get worse and ethnic minorities in management will never be in line with their representation in the overall population.The stark reality is that 33 years since the passing of the landmark Race Relations Act there is still a colour bar to jobs in the UK. It is vital that the UK has boardrooms with a cultural mix that mirrors both the marketplace and the communities in which the businesses operates. To achieve this, businesses need to unlock the wealth of leadership talent we have in the UK.If we ever want to reflect the multicultural society in which we live, it will mean shattering the last glass ceiling and having male and females from ethnic minorities as prime ministers and on the boards of FTSE 100 firms.Inspirational examplesBut without admitting that we have a problem, how can we work towards a solution?Ten years since Macpherson published his devastating report about the failings of the Metropolitan police in the wake of the Stephen Lawrence murder, the term institutional racism has been officially laid to rest.However, both Race for Opportunity research results and recent findings from the Runnymede Trust contradict this. In fact, if we take our eye off the ball, fair representation for ethnic minorities in our workforce will slip even further out of reach.There are some inspirational examples that should be shared - well done to Prudential for creating a culture that encourages the best talent to rightly progress to the top.While Tidjane Thiam's success gives me hope that the UK is starting to reflect the diverse image we aspire to, I urge business and government to acknowledge the crucial steps that must be taken to achieve a diverse workforce we can be proud of. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7955282.stm

Guest Triple XXX
good look.in america these kind of boss moves are standard. lets hope those white people in corporate UK will take a leaf out of their books again.
yea but Black Americans have about 400 years of history rooted deep into American Society, most blacks here are like 3/4 generation of immigrants topsnot to mention theres a higher ratio of blacks to whites in the US than the UK, swear UK blacks make less than a few percent (was it 3 or 4?)theres more i could say but tbh i just cant be bothered at this point

good look.in america these kind of boss moves are standard. lets hope those white people in corporate UK will take a leaf out of their books again.
yea but Black Americans have about 400 years of history rooted deep into American Society, most blacks here are like 3/4 generation of immigrants topsnot to mention theres a higher ratio of blacks to whites in the US than the UK, swear UK blacks make less than a few percent (was it 3 or 4?)theres more i could say but tbh i just cant be bothered at this point
the only thing to point out there is the numbers thing, in comparison to the US. black people have been in UK longer than 400 yrs

Your correct, which is why I'm saying I hope UK bosses take a leaf from the U.S books.

the only thing to point out there is the numbers thing, in comparison to the US. black people have been in UK longer than 400 yrs
no where near on the same level. u know that
i dont agree. they have been on higher levels than in the US. thats what i was laughing about when i came back and saw the hypocrisy here over the obama thing. the main difference with the US to the UK is that integration has been a constant battle, with the majority side acknowledging there is a problem and taking ACTION. in the UK they just talk about it, acknowledge it and nothing changes, or something changes every 100yrs instead of much faster. in the 50's when black people in america coudlnt event vote, black people here could. black people could walk the streets without fear of being lynched. there was racism but not like the US. of course this appointment is a step in a good direction, but going by the changes that have happened so slowly in UK, its something well over due.

until i confirm that his wife isnt white.. i wont c/s this
His wife is white and they have 3 mixed race children together. pissed. He also plays golf and goes down the pub.
Oh no, just diminished his achievement, no1 can be proud of him now. He has let the whole black race down!..Anyways, they have affirmative action in America of course there is gonna be more African-American faces in higher positions then in England. Yet African-Americans still largely take a big L, whilst black immigrants out perform them on a high high scale..

u are the biggest idiot on this forum... by farreal talk i feel sorry for yur father, becuz i'm sure yur an earth shattering disappointment to him yur gay/bisexual yet yur racist and anti-semitic :confused:yur such a failure i dn't even feel like laughing

Guest Triple XXX
no where near on the same level. u know that
i dont agree. they have been on higher levels than in the US. thats what i was laughing about when i came back and saw the hypocrisy here over the obama thing. the main difference with the US to the UK is that integration has been a constant battle, with the majority side acknowledging there is a problem and taking ACTION. in the UK they just talk about it, acknowledge it and nothing changes, or something changes every 100yrs instead of much faster. in the 50's when black people in america coudlnt event vote, black people here could. black people could walk the streets without fear of being lynched. there was racism but not like the US. of course this appointment is a step in a good direction, but going by the changes that have happened so slowly in UK, its something well over due.
thats another pointUK is more conservative, or as id call it lazier, heads would talk talk talk n nothin will happenwhen Obama won the election there was all this talk of "cn we have a UK Obama?" yet theres prob more black people cleaning the political offices than there are in politicsUK is that guy u had in school that always had the latest gadgets, but for some reason wen u asked to go to his yard to see them there was some redic story about how u couldntbut TBH i dnt care how many black people are running things, all i care about is the mentality if someone of the same interlect as me gets ahead i wanna watch that giv a f*ck what a next coon does

His wife is white and they have 3 mixed race children together. pissed. He also plays golf and goes down the pub.
Oh no, just diminished his achievement, no1 can be proud of him now. He has let the whole black race down!..Anyways, they have affirmative action in America of course there is gonna be more African-American faces in higher positions then in England. Yet African-Americans still largely take a big L, whilst black immigrants out perform them on a high high scale..
I think the immigrants who outperform them do so in %age not in overall numbers. david i hear wht ur saying. its cool to say you will do well regardless, but dont mistaken questioning the status quo as being negative cos its those who question that make changes or force change