FAO those that cut hair...

King Jammy

Just bought clippers today and wanna start cutting my own hair.Usually get a point 5 when I go barbers but how do you set it to that on the clippers?It comes with all the comb guides or whatever but they start from 1. It's got some taper lever on the side with 5 levels so I dunno which one to set it to and it don't say in the manual.Safety in advance

Make sure you cut against the grain all the time. Get two mirrors so you can see the crevace of your head (the swirly fred flinstone bit at the back where the hair spirals different directions. Maybe get somebody to do that bit for you. Otherwise you head will most probably be left pitch patch.

Make sure you cut against the grain all the time. Get two mirrors so you can see the crevace of your head (the swirly fred flinstone bit at the back where the hair spirals different directions. Maybe get somebody to do that bit for you. Otherwise you head will most probably be left pitch patch.
Whats the benefit of cutting against the grain?Any easy tips or tricks for fading and shaping up??

Whats the benefit of cutting against the grain?Any easy tips or tricks for fading and shaping up??
Cutting against the grain ensures an even cut. If you do a 0.5 forwards instead of backwards, it will come out at just under a 1 (on afro hair). But it will come out slicker than a 1 would. I usually do a 'forward' cut.. Half a grade up from the length of the cut, whilst continually brushing, and it starts getting slick & wavey n sh*t. Then add dax & it's a wrap! P Diddy ting. If they take care of their hair.A tip for fading... If you aint done it much before. Is start high and work your way down. I wouldnt do what the barbers to and mark a line then fade it out.A tip for shaping up... put your thumbnail at a point on your hairline which the clipper MUST NOT cross. Keep it there while you cut with the other hand. cut with the clippers up to your nail. That way... No mistakes. Thats what i do when cutting kids cos them cunts fidget nuff. Also use a thin amount of talcolm powder on your harline... The talc will remove itself from any part the clipper touches. And the line it leaves is mroe visible than with just hair. It just helps you see your hairline better. I dont know how it works but it helps. ^^ this goes to the clipper shaving mandem also

I could never be brave enough to shape my own hair. The back is what worries me. Rather get my barber to hook it up for me.Buying my own clippers is one of the best bits of money I have spent. The amount I have saved on haircuts is sick.Never knew that's how you get a 0.5 by pushing down the lever. Makes sense though.

So how would u do a shape up
:/ Well i just place the clips on the scalp where it should cut. And pull in away from the main body of hair whilst they stil touching the skin to remove the stragglers like any barber. To do the arch you lift one side of the blades off the head and use one corner of the clipper like a pencil. Same with patterns but you have to angle it so that the direction of the blades are always facing the direction your pushing/pulling it (dpending on which side you use). Always brush and cut again brush and cut again till the line looks SHARP. Always stand back and look at the head from a far and dont keep your face in the haircut. Thats how some potentially good barbers still do wonky shape ups.