Sign in to follow this  
Sleepz

Postioning Monitors

Couple of questions, friend of mine has his horizontal, and i also noticed it on LaidBacks setupWhat differences does it make?Also im not sure how far and high i should position them, head height i would assume? i cant get that though atm, so what would be better higher or lowerfinally what are MoPads?

I've been told there should be a triangle with you and the two speakers being the corners. Height shouldn't matter as long as they are leaning downwards towards your head from where they are.

Position them facing your head in a triangle like Dubby said, obviously with your screen in the middle. Dont put them wherever they fit the room like you would hi-fi speakers, make space for them

Couple of questions, friend of mine has his horizontal, and i also noticed it on LaidBacks setupWhat differences does it make?Also im not sure how far and high i should position them, head height i would assume? i cant get that though atm, so what would be better higher or lowerfinally what are MoPads?
You cant position them horizontally without affecting the stereo field. Those horizontal ones are designed to be placed like that.

You cant position them horizontally without affecting the stereo field. Those horizontal ones are designed to be placed like that.
Why do pro studios do this? ive seen them done alot with the KRK PK

The dispersion of the sound vertically is different to horizontal. So by putting the speakers horizontally when theyre designed for maximum dispersion horizontally, will create a much smaller sweet spot. Studios may do it for space reasons but also if they are placed much higher than ear level which they often are, then the dispersion will be wider when horizontal which is why in studios then may position them that way.

record white noise from ur speakers in a couple of different places, use a sectrum analyser on them and the one that has the best overall response is the place u wanna be sitting in.