Postioning Monitors

Sleepz

Couple of questions, friend of mine has his horizontal, and i also noticed it on LaidBacks setupWhat differences does it make?Also im not sure how far and high i should position them, head height i would assume? i cant get that though atm, so what would be better higher or lowerfinally what are MoPads?

• 3 weeks later...
Couple of questions, friend of mine has his horizontal, and i also noticed it on LaidBacks setupWhat differences does it make?Also im not sure how far and high i should position them, head height i would assume? i cant get that though atm, so what would be better higher or lowerfinally what are MoPads?
You cant position them horizontally without affecting the stereo field. Those horizontal ones are designed to be placed like that.

You cant position them horizontally without affecting the stereo field. Those horizontal ones are designed to be placed like that.
Why do pro studios do this? ive seen them done alot with the KRK PK

The dispersion of the sound vertically is different to horizontal. So by putting the speakers horizontally when theyre designed for maximum dispersion horizontally, will create a much smaller sweet spot. Studios may do it for space reasons but also if they are placed much higher than ear level which they often are, then the dispersion will be wider when horizontal which is why in studios then may position them that way.