Sign in to follow this  
Goddaz

Gerrard agrees new Liverpool deal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7982283.stmRB interview
Rafa Benitez spoke to radio journalists as part of the build-up to today's Barclays Premier League clash with Fulham at Craven Cottage. Here is what he had to say in full. Journalist: Steven Gerrard has agreed a two-year extension to his contract, how much of a boost is that to the club? I think it's great news for all the fans and people connected with the club. If the captain decides to stay for four more years, maybe until the end of his career, it is fantastic. He has shown great commitment to the club. Journalist: Some people are calling him the best player in the world at the moment. First of all, do you agree with that and, secondly, can he get better? I think he is one of the best. To say that he is the best is difficult because there are a lot of good players around the world, but he is one of them and that is a fact. I think he can improve, he is a player who is keen to learn in every training session, he is more mature and, for me, he can get even better. Journalist: It's important you get a bit of stability from your players and especially from your captain, who has taken the lead and signed an extension to his contract... Yeah. We have been talking with a lot of players about new contracts so I think this sends out the right message to them. Journalist: And with you signing your new contract it shows there is a lot of stability at the club... I think so. In football it is important if you know who the manager is and which players will be in the squad in the future, so we are now going forward in the right direction. Journalist: The manager has signed a new contract, the captain has signed a new contract and you can go top of the league on Saturday. The momentum and the good mood is with Liverpool now isn't it? My idea is we have to win and afterwards it will be easier to talk about positives. We have to approach the game properly and remember they won against United, so it will be really tough, but we have confidence in ourselves that we can do our job.
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N...090404-0724.htm