Asher Roth

Mr. Gayle

never heard of the bre till I see this thread, meh, he's alright, voice sounds like a mix of eminem and travis.that "college" tune...is annoying me cos I swear the beat sounds familiar I just can't remember where I heard it!?!*edit* I remember now... "say it ain't so"-weezerJust hip-hopped it up

I Love College is flippin sick. Love the concept and execution. I also like The LoungeThis interview kinda helped me appreciate him. Seems like a bit of a deeper guy than just some stupid white boy doing neeky Star Trek rap

To mark the release of `I Love College` (6th April) and `Asleep in the Bread Aisle` (20th April), PyroRadio.com caught up with Asher Roth to find out why he hopes to go head-to-head with Eminem, if he`s just a white guy trying to exploit black music and why he isn`t a rapper.
These bits in particular
PyroRadio.com: How would you describe your character when you were in school? Asher Roth: I wouldn’t say I was the class clown, but I always got needs improvement grades on speaking at inappropriate times. I kept it light-hearted and fun. Teachers either loved me or absolutely hated me. I was a smart kid. I was a pretty good student but only when I wanted to be. I was stubborn in a sense where if I didn’t like a teacher, I just wouldn’t learn.I have a lot of problems with the educational system as far as what they are teaching us. I feel like we are totally programmed for the cubicle and they almost discourage us from thinking outside of the box and asking why and why not, and if we ask why and why not they just reply “‘cos”. It’s a little strange.I was always impacted by the teachers who closed the book and talked to us on how we wanted to learn. Kids learn visually, audibly - it’s all different. I feel it is like radio. Teachers get into it for the passion of teaching, and radio DJ’s are passionate about music, but then they are just told what to do and they can‘t go outside of that or they‘ll get into trouble.
PyroRadio.com: Eminem’s long-awaited return album is scheduled to be released near yours. Do you see it as a hindrance?Asher Roth: It’s going to be interesting. It might be the best possible thing that happens. If Em’ drops the same time as me he’ll probably sell much more than me. It’s Eminem, look at ‘Crack a Bottle’ it went straight to number 1. He’ll probably sell more records than me, but it will drastically change the perspective because people will be like “they’re two totally different artists. Listen to Em’s album [then] listen to Asher’s album. There’s really no resemblance.” That’s what I always thought was interesting.Of course growing up being 15/16 and rapping, you are emulating what you are hearing whatever you think is cool at the time. Everybody was listening to Em and I’m a white kid so Em was like our hero. At the same tip, I couldn’t relate to what Em was talking about. Lyrically he was a demon, the problems with his wife, his mother, the fact he had a child; I couldn’t relate to any of that.Yes, we’re both white but the content is totally different human beings. If Em drops at the same time it’ll bring clarity to the situation, so I hope it happens. I know the label will be mad because they live by numbers, but I don’t live my life by numbers. I was meditating one time and numbers were running through my head like the matrix and the message was clear that I should stop living by bank account numbers, dates and times, and just live. I feel bad for the label. Concentrate on the message and the movement rather than how many records we’re selling.
PyroRadio.com: How did you come to naming your album ‘Asleep In The Bread Aisle’?Asher Roth: I was sitting there talking to my friend Alalki.com, he’s a dope painter, and we were talking about some drunken stories. He was telling me about his buddy who woke up real hung-over at 10 o’clock in the morning, and was like “Man, I really need to get some Gatorade and some food”. He’s in the grocery store and they are running around getting whatever and they can’t find their boy, they’re like where is he? And he’s asleep in the bread aisle.It was so contusive to what I was doing because the bread aisle, essentially, is money and money makes people do really ridiculous things like sell-out. We’ve seen it with people like Vanilla Ice to whoever. It makes them put on a character to sell records. With me, rather than trying to conform I try to respond by not showering wearing basketball shorts and just chilling.‘I Love College’ is my world, I was there for like 2 and a half years, but for me that song was written in retrospect. I wish I could go to college for the rest of my life, but I’m gone from it now. Now my whole battle is everybody thinks I’m a frat boy rapper. I wasn’t in a frat, I’m out of college. My battle now is really introducing myself.
http://www.pyroradio.com/index.cfm/act/int..._details/id/101Cant be arsed to copy the whole thing.

Corny rebore eminem exact same voice and same lol seeking lyrics coupled off with the fact he is a middle class jewish kid from wisconsin or suttin what will his subject matter gonna be about?Unlike Lupe he doesnt take his music seriously and unlike Fiasco there is no maturity in his music him and that sonic and pink shirt wearing guy from brooklyn whos name I forgot are everything thats wrong with hiphop.The two worst sides that need to be killed off are the Souljah Boys of this world and star trek neek rappers like this guy and Kool Kids.Also I dont want to hear some stupid about Hiphop evolved and it isn't about busting gats and sh*t because there has always been mellower rappers people like Qtip,Afu rah etc have done it before.From time guy is a rebore Eminem when he turnt sh*t I dont give him ratingsThats my view on this