Back

A Bit Better

My back workouts are sh*t. When I do rows, I feel nothing in my traps. Nothing at all. I'm doing it with 35 and sometimes 40 but it doesn't hurt my traps and I never get aching in the days after.Same when I do shrugs. When doing shrugs, should you go for a round motion or just up and down? How much should I be doing? Atm I'm doing like 28 in each hand.When I do lat pull down I don't feel it in my back although parts of my back do ache like hell in the following days so that's probably doing its job. I also don't feel it when I do the one where you bend over and pull up with one arm (sort of like dumbbell bent over rows).Why can't I feel anything in my upper back? And if you say bad form, please describe good form.

I Dunno mate but feeling ache in the morning after does not necessarly mean that u have done a good work out. I very rarely feel any aches these days, but im in the gym 5 days a week doing alot of things. when i started boxing/weights/running i did have alot of aches all the time but they all stopped after i got used to the routine.i eat a very healthy high protein diet and i sleep 8+ hours every night. i think this helps along with being used to the excercises. the real thing to look out for is this (imo): can you do another set with perfect form, or not? if you can't then call it a day. no point pushing it.for your upper back u need to start doing chin ups/pull ups and prone bridges are also very good. i dont really f*ck with machines at all, infact i dont use any in the gym. all free weights and olympic bar, squat rack and press ups, crunches, bridges, pull ups and chin ups. my back is quite hench imo. sometimes ill use the smith machine tho if the racks/benches are taken.

My back workouts are sh*t. When I do rows, I feel nothing in my traps. Nothing at all. I'm doing it with 35 and sometimes 40 but it doesn't hurt my traps and I never get aching in the days after.Same when I do shrugs. When doing shrugs, should you go for a round motion or just up and down? How much should I be doing? Atm I'm doing like 28 in each hand.When I do lat pull down I don't feel it in my back although parts of my back do ache like hell in the following days so that's probably doing its job. I also don't feel it when I do the one where you bend over and pull up with one arm (sort of like dumbbell bent over rows).Why can't I feel anything in my upper back? And if you say bad form, please describe good form.
rows aren't supposed to work traps.they do help..but trap work is secondary so you shouldnt feel them that much..i dont. when doing shrugs a round motion can hurt you.. its supposed to be just up and down. and ur using 28kgDBs? i thought you play AMfootball?? cos im assuming ur quite big.28kg is what i use to warm up. i then use 45-50kg for 3 sets of 10 shrugs.. so maybe you need to go as heavy as you can. then also do upright rows with a barbell, i put 15kg on each side for mine. for lat pulldowns good form is not bending your back so much and swinging wildly like some people do. just lean back a little bit and arch your back by raising your chest upwards to pull downgood upper back excersizes are pull ups as my #1, then depending on the machines your gym has..there could be some good upper back machines there to use. i also use the cable machine for back.. cable flys (dont use the grips)

Interesting about the rows. Always thought it was all about traps. My form is decent with lat pull downs as I will happily drop the weight down if I lose it. Thanks for the info on shrugs. Been wondering about the up and down thing and particularly the weight for a long time. I could barely feel it but I thought it was probably because I was doing it wrong.I'm not big though... Yet. Gonna go to 35ish KG per hand and see what happens. Also do you keep your arms perfectly straight or ever so slightly bent (so they're just not locked) or quite bent?

keep yoru arms straight..all your doing is raising your shoudlers so no need to bend elbows, tho they may bend slightly if the weight is very heavy. oh and with rows, if you meant upright barbell or ezbar rows..then they are for traps. if you dont feel anything then try heavier weights. tbh i cant remember when i felt pain in my traps either but i know theve grown.

• 2 weeks later...

if u wanna feel it in ur traps more, try doing dumbell rows, but have the bench on a slight incline. Also, doing behind the neck lat pulldowns seems to hit my lats more, but it also increases the chances of injuring yourself, so when i finish my normal lat pulldowns i do a super set of behind the neck ones on a lower weight to hit them properly.

rows work your traps :D man always feels that in mid/lower back, is that normal or am i not doing it right?
I meant upright rows.Did shrugs with 34's today. Still nothing and my hands couldn't hold the f*ck*ng DBs properly. Lol at how f*cked my grip gets mid session.Had a sick session. Shout out to that banana I ate half an hour before the gym. You are the light of my life.

I don't trust my form, have nobody to go with and don't like asking randoms for advice. I will get my deadlift game sorted soon. But let's focus on what I'm doing for now.
JUST STart to DL on 60KG and watch youtube/others in gymjust do a 1x5 at the end/start of ur session for next 2 weeks until ur confident to up the weightu cant f*ck urself up that much on 60kg and if avoid curving ur back and drag itup ur thighs u will be fine

I don't trust my form, have nobody to go with and don't like asking randoms for advice. I will get my deadlift game sorted soon. But let's focus on what I'm doing for now.
JUST STart to DL on 60KG and watch youtube/others in gymjust do a 1x5 at the end/start of ur session for next 2 weeks until ur confident to up the weightu cant f*ck urself up that much on 60kg and if avoid curving ur back and drag itup ur thighs u will be fine
I don't wanna be one of those guys that talks about he can deadlift such and such weight and is actually doing it with such bad form that it means nothing.But fine, I shall work deadlifts in somehow. 60 it is.

if you see a guy that is well built and looks like he knows what he's doing.. you're at a loss if you dont ask questions tbh. he can show you what to do much better than anyone here or on youtube cos he's there with you.if he wears tight pink lycra..ok we understand your hesistance. part from that... you may suffer in silence

I don't wanna be one of those guys that talks about he can deadlift such and such weight and is actually doing it with such bad form that it means nothing.But fine, I shall work deadlifts in somehow. 60 it is.
well ucan squat and i found squat form harder 2 learn than DL formdl just about bar placement and not bending ur backstart light finish heavyi reckon 3 months itll take to get ur DL up if u got gym experience

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

i need to work on my traps, what exerciese apart from shrugs can i do?my upper back is pretty sick atm, across the back of my shoulders i am very defiened and have good shape, ive been attacking my lats the past couple of weeks too and they are coming along nicely, going round the side joining up with my abs.lower back is good too, but dont deadllift much, i start my new gym tomorrow, and will check my form is good with the overly frendly hench jamanan guy

i need to work on my traps, what exerciese apart from shrugs can i do?my upper back is pretty sick atm, across the back of my shoulders i am very defiened and have good shape, ive been attacking my lats the past couple of weeks too and they are coming along nicely, going round the side joining up with my abs.lower back is good too, but dont deadllift much, i start my new gym tomorrow, and will check my form is good with the overly frendly hench jamanan guy
Deads is the best for traps IMO