Sign in to follow this  
Kim

car heads......

say u start up the car and it makes a funny noise like its gonna die but its screeching for like 3 seconds....( best way to discribe it)whats this mean?do i need a new starter motor......

The noise is probably caused by the starter trying to engage into the flywheel, there may be some teeth on the flywheel ring gear damaged that won't let the starter engage, the best solution would be to replace the both the starter and the flywheel.

oh its been doin 4 a while just been serviced n moted

how much would tht cost, sorry i dont no any mechanics gage

same problem on my golf gti. its the starter motor. not expensive at all.it could be a dust that has built up on your starter motor remove ur starter motor and give it a good clean to remove any dust worked for me. failing that get a replacement S.motor.

if it screeches for 3 seconds and goes, its most prob ur timing belt. get it changed. dont pay a mechanic more than 130 for parts n labour. oh and do it asap, cos if the belt snaps it'll f*ck ur engine, valves etc and ur screwed..major job then!!

if it screeches for 3 seconds and goes, its most prob ur timing belt. get it changed. dont pay a mechanic more than 130 for parts n labour. oh and do it asap, cos if the belt snaps it'll f*ck ur engine, valves etc and ur screwed..major job then!!
Cambelt dont make noises. and its not the fanbelt it's the starter motor. What model GTI do you have is it the 1.8 2.0 or the 1.8T?

Cambelt dont make noises. and its not the fanbelt it's the starter motor. What model GTI do you have is it the 1.8 2.0 or the 1.8T?
are u sure belts dont make noises? im pretty sure they do.. my previous car had a weak alternator, and whenever i had the heater and lights on, and i pressed the gas a lil bit, the belts would make a slight screech. in the rain the screeching lasted a good 10 seconds or more.

Im sure belts make noises but not the cambelt. then only way you'll hear a cambelt noise is a loud bang followed by ur pistons busting through your engine. Im pretty certain its the starter motor.

are u sure belts dont make noises? im pretty sure they do.. my previous car had a weak alternator, and whenever i had the heater and lights on, and i pressed the gas a lil bit, the belts would make a slight screech. in the rain the screeching lasted a good 10 seconds or more.
OP is referring to a screeching noise when starting the engine. not during driving.but like gage said, it could be anything. you should get it checked by your local mechanic.im pretty sure its the starter tho.

OFF TOPICHow long does DVLA normally take to send you the logbook of a car which you just bought?
upto 6 weeks max. anything longer you'll need to contact them.

sounds like a sticky starter motorIve got one on my skylineits a minor really just ignore it
Lol yea, any dodgy noises, just put ur stereo up..

depends on what car. on my golf i got the cambelt and water pump labour charge 250 quid. excluding parts.if u havent already or if ur car is gettin on a bit get then cambelt done as well.