car heads......

Kim

if it screeches for 3 seconds and goes, its most prob ur timing belt. get it changed. dont pay a mechanic more than 130 for parts n labour. oh and do it asap, cos if the belt snaps it'll f*ck ur engine, valves etc and ur screwed..major job then!!

if it screeches for 3 seconds and goes, its most prob ur timing belt. get it changed. dont pay a mechanic more than 130 for parts n labour. oh and do it asap, cos if the belt snaps it'll f*ck ur engine, valves etc and ur screwed..major job then!!
Cambelt dont make noises. and its not the fanbelt it's the starter motor. What model GTI do you have is it the 1.8 2.0 or the 1.8T?

Cambelt dont make noises. and its not the fanbelt it's the starter motor. What model GTI do you have is it the 1.8 2.0 or the 1.8T?
are u sure belts dont make noises? im pretty sure they do.. my previous car had a weak alternator, and whenever i had the heater and lights on, and i pressed the gas a lil bit, the belts would make a slight screech. in the rain the screeching lasted a good 10 seconds or more.

are u sure belts dont make noises? im pretty sure they do.. my previous car had a weak alternator, and whenever i had the heater and lights on, and i pressed the gas a lil bit, the belts would make a slight screech. in the rain the screeching lasted a good 10 seconds or more.
OP is referring to a screeching noise when starting the engine. not during driving.but like gage said, it could be anything. you should get it checked by your local mechanic.im pretty sure its the starter tho.