IT COULD BE YOU.

Goddaz

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/8001796.stm
Lottery organisers have warned people to guard their tickets after a couple who found a £30,000 winning ticket and cashed it in were sentenced for fraud.Amanda Stacey, 34, from Swindon, Wiltshire, reportedly found the prize ticket on the floor of her local Co-op. She and her husband Michael reportedly spent some money on clearing debts. The Staceys admitted charges of making a false representation, and Amanda Stacey also admitted theft. They were given 11-month suspended sentences. Police were brought in after Dorothy McDonagh proved to lottery firm Camelot that the ticket was hers, The Sun newspaper reported. Police reportedly froze the remaining £15,000 and brought charges against the couple. The pair admitted charges of making a false representation and Amanda Stacey also admitted theft. On Tuesday, a judge at Swindon Crown Court said the pair had acted out of financial need, not greed, The Sun said. We are reminding players to keep their tickets safe and fill out their names and addresses on the back Camelot spokesman A court hearing in July will decide if Ms McDonagh, 61, will get the remaining £15,000. On Wednesday a Camelot spokesman said: "The dispute is now between the two parties involved. "We are reminding players to keep their tickets safe and fill out their names and addresses on the back. That way there can be no dispute. "We have a clear lost-and-found policy, so if a member of the public finds the ticket they should send it to our prize payout department, setting out in writing the circumstances of the find and the steps they took [if any] to reunite the ticket with its rightful owner. "If no corresponding prize claim or lost ticket notice has been received, the prize may be paid to the finder at Camelot's discretion after the expiry of the 180-day claim deadline."

I'm not sure tbh but I'm guessing CCTV of her buying the ticket, they zoomed in & the numbers could be seen, maybe she marks the same numbers moretime. orWhen the couple that falsely claimed the ticket couldn't prove how/when/where they bought the ticket but the real winners could. Maybe they weren't even near where the ticket was bought.*Shrugs*

"If no corresponding prize claim or lost ticket notice has been received, the prize may be paid to the finder at Camelot's discretion after the expiry of the 180-day claim deadline."
The real ticket holder must have put in a lost ticket claim so Camelot did what they had to do.

Wait a minit....THEFT?!?BOY....they must have a sh*t lawyer, coz I'm sure that aint theft - they found it.Example: My girlfriend left her phone on the counter in a shop, and later that day realised it was gone. Long story cut short, when she spoke to the police they said that it wasnt theft because nobody had stolen it - it had been FOUND.If you walk in a public place, and pick up something you see on the floor, you've stolen it? Thats bullshit.These people are not criminals.

Guest WAVESURFER
Wait a minit....THEFT?!?BOY....they must have a sh*t lawyer, coz I'm sure that aint theft - they found it.Example: My girlfriend left her phone on the counter in a shop, and later that day realised it was gone. Long story cut short, when she spoke to the police they said that it wasnt theft because nobody had stolen it - it had been FOUND.If you walk in a public place, and pick up something you see on the floor, you've stolen it? Thats bullshit.These people are not criminals.
Not theft, fraud.

Im baffled, if I find a ticket with winning numbers I understand that the tickets gotta go to the rightful owner but I cant get a finders fee? Fark orf, Id burn the ticket tbh
If I lost my winning ticket, but received a phone call telling me a Mr. Gandalf had found it and handed it in and I was getting £15 mil, I'd chuck you a little 30 grand or something

Guest WAVESURFER
Wait a minit....THEFT?!?..............These people are not criminals.
Not theft, fraud.
Now I re-read, they were charged with fraud, but the woman admitted theft? wtf.
Oh yeah, just noticed that part.Dunno about the theft thing then.

Im baffled, if I find a ticket with winning numbers I understand that the tickets gotta go to the rightful owner but I cant get a finders fee? Fark orf, Id burn the ticket tbh
If I lost my winning ticket, but received a phone call telling me a Mr. Gandalf had found it and handed it in and I was getting £15 mil, I'd chuck you a little 30 grand or something
30 grand?!?I'd at least buy him a yard and set him more than 30k on top of that.

Not theft, fraud.
how is it fraud? do lottery tickets have personal details on them? i thoguth they just have numbers..and anyone who finds them can claim them.

Guest LucaPiano
how is it fraud? do lottery tickets have personal details on them?
Yo Kamal"In the broadest sense, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual."

how is it fraud? do lottery tickets have personal details on them?
Yo Kamal"In the broadest sense, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual."
deception does not come into play here i dont see how it does anyway. unless there were personal details involved that were impersonated. i mean i find a lottery ticket..what law says i must hand it in? i blame their sh*t duty solicitor