JDC

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Malcolm Tucker

Im not premium and I got 2 invites left.

hmm i aint got any on my account :-s

If you got to spotify.com and log in there and click 'share spotify' does anything come up?

just says no invites left.

A songwriters' association has criticised the Spotify streaming service over 'tiny' payments to musicians

An association of songwriters has hit out at Spotify, casting fresh doubt on the streaming service's capacity to generate income for musicians.

The British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors (Basca), which represents 2,000 songwriters, claimed yesterday that the payments generated are "tiny" and called for the company to be more transparent about the nature of its business.

At the moment, Spotify does not disclose details of its deals with labels and publishers, and Basca chairman Patrick Rackow says this is leading to a climate of fear and distrust.

He told the BBC: "At the moment, the amounts of money that are actually being received are tiny. That might be because there is no money there. But there is no clear trail that can be established so that the songwriter can trace back what they ought to have got. These things are behind a blanket of secrecy, and that is extremely worrying.

"The danger is that these deals all become so secret that the mist that descends creates uncertainty, creates fear. That allied to the fact that the sums being paid through are very small creates a climate of suspicion. I think it harms Spotify, it harms the writers' perception of Spotify and this is a service they want to support."

The Swedish-owned company has been hailed in some quarters as a saviour of the music industry, offering users free streaming of a huge catalogue of music punctuated by short adverts. A monthly premium of £9.99 gets users uninterrupted access to the catalogue.

But last year it was claimed that over a five-month period, 1m plays of Lady Gaga's hit Poker Face – one of the most popular songs on the site – earned her just $167.

With record labels themselves owning a stake in Spotify, Rackow reckons that returns are "unlikely to filter down into payments to the artists". He continued: "It is pretty tough for the average successful songwriter to make a living. It is hard to say that anyone has a right to make a living out of writing songs but if you write songs that people actually want to hear then I think that does give you a right to get some renumeration back."

Spotify would not comment on the Basca claims, but has continued to insist that as more subscribers sign up and advertising revenue increases then that money will trickle down to the people who make the music.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
Guest 11 Bills

I dont use it bt i guess some of you do

Spotify launches Apple iTunes 'rival'New application will synch tracks from computers to iPods, iPhones and Androids and allow users to buy MP3 bundles

If you hate using Apple's iTunes to synchronise songs on your iPod or iPhone, the music streaming service Spotify would like your attention. It is rolling out a new version of its desktop and mobile application for all of its users, including the ad-supported "free" users, which will synchronise tracks from their computer to iPods, iPhones and Android phones.

It is also introducing its own music store, which will allow users to buy "bundles" to pay for MP3-encoded songs from the catalogue, in which buying a bigger bundle effectively gives a discount on the songs. Thus a "bundle" of 10 tracks costs £7.99, effectively costing 80p each, while a bundle of 100 costs £50.

The company says the synchronisation – which also works over Wi-Fi, something iTunes doesn't do – has been the top most requested feature from its users for a considerable time. It has taken more than a year of programming to implement it, and led to other projects being put on hold while the engineers figured out the plumbing of the iPod to ensure seamless functioning.

wnt copy the whole thing

sauce

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/may/04/spotify-apple-itunes-mp3

Thats Extra ordinary bruh..

The old version was bless. I was one of the lucky ones that got the free subscription when it first launched.

But a few months back they sliced things to 10hrs play a month or something. It used to get me through my days at work.

I heard they were actually closing down before. But this is some positive news.

I think it should do well.