OFFICIAL CAR/DRIVING TOPIC

Frank White

It's weird, I'm actually looking forward to shotting my car in January. The way I could be saving money if I didn't have it is nuts. And certain times stuck in traffic and trying to find parking in some places makes me wish I had taking public transport instead.
Nah but Car > Bus, long for taking shopping on the bus, or paying for cabCar with A/C > Sweaty BusCar with your music > Youngers playing music thru their fones on the BusCar > Getting on the bus with an oyster with not enough monies on it, end up paying £2, £2 you know, I remember when it was 25p
Yeah, which highlights the main point of a car. Convenience.However, in my opinion, unless you are making enough where a car can be maintained on chicken scraps of your salary...Saving money>>>>Having a car.
Car is NEEDED, no two ways about it
Not in everyone's situation. There's plenty of places you can go on public transport that you don't need a car for. Like I said, with a car, you are paying convenience, not necessity more times than not.And public transport is bloody good value for money if you compare it to maintaining a car.
Lol that's just not true.
Okay, not bloody good value, but the same amount spent on a public transport would take you further than a car would.That is not debatable.And who actually in this topic has said public transport is better than a car?

in my experience i have no life without a car - i literally dont come out of my house
samethose days between when my car got crushed by a lorry (fcuk trafford park and their stupid lorrys )and the courtesy car arriving, i felt lost, relying on people for lifts was weird. The courtesy car is a pisstake though, some wide peugot, how can say they are sendin me somethin similar to a polo, peugot is chunkified.hope the insurance companys gets back at me quick once they send someone to examine the damage of it, its a total write off though considerin the roof had to be cut off. cant hack this hoff of a peugot, and its 4 doors, i HATE four doors with a passion.

Guest Lemons

I've had a car for like 18 months now. Rarely use it, once a fortnight at best. However, it really is going to come in handy this summer (going to Cornwall twice and Reading). Only other times I use it is for ferrying my brother to and from uni (Nottingham). Waste of money, but being able to go wherever you want on your own terms when you need to is quite nice.

Guest Lemons
Did you guys get a lot of knocks when you first started?I'ma take my pratical about june/july and the parents were saying not to get a new car cause I'll smash it to pieces with it being my first carWhat's your experience?
f*cked up a wing mirror in a car park once (only 'accident' I've had so far). Was absolutely gutted.I'd say definitely get something with a couple of little marks on it, so if you do get a little dent/scratch, it doesn't break your heart.

Only got one dent in my car. Not particularly big. Was kinda my fault, but aside from that no other damage to my car. I think it's a thing of experience and if not that, just being extra careful. That one moment in time I wasn't careful enough and then dent is homage to it.In fact, how much does it cost to suck out a dent and will it scratch up the paint?

Yeah, my plan was to get something like an '05 Astra and keep it until my mid 20's rather than going through a number of cars (I figured if I bought a decent car now and used it for long it'd cost me less money/hassle in the long run than 2-3 cars overall)but my parents don't like that idea and want me to have my Dad's banger for a year

Yeah, my plan was to get something like an '05 Astra and keep it until my mid 20's rather than going through a number of cars (I figured if I bought a decent car now and used it for long it'd cost me less money/hassle in the long run than 2-3 cars overall)but my parents don't like that idea and want me to have my Dad's banger for a year
Depends on your priorities.Do you want something nice looking or do you just want a form of transportation and convenience? If it's the latter and you are gettting your dad's car for free do that. That way all you need is money for insurance and petrol and other forms of maintenance rather than all of that on top of a couple grand.And boy, I personally think the Astra would be a better choice after getting your 1 years no claim on your dad's banger. You will save more money. If I remember correctly, you live in Harrow or something so insurance shouldn't be too bad.

Yeah i was going to get a banger but i thought might as well get me a car that would last me a few yearsDad wouldn't even let me get a banger but its bait he wanted a newish car so he could drive it himself :lol:Got thisKO08DVY.jpg