Drake

JLovely

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

There are more garlanded rappers than Aubrey “Drake” Graham, Canada’s finest hip-hop export since Snow, but two 02 nights tells their own tale and last night’s crowd were as tolerant as they were giddy. Drake had his faults: a horribly cheap set clearly designed for smaller stages (this was his biggest headlining show); a disastrous attempt to sing on the poorly punctuated Marvins Room and, for all his scampering across stage, a lack of actual vocalising.

The longest segment of a set which saw him rattle through more than 25 songs in under 80 minutes was the genial (“I’ve had sex four times this week!” he chirped), nonchalantly charismatic, super-sweary Drake addressing individual audience members including a gyrating Florence Welch. It may have been time-wasting water-treading but it unveiled Drake’s wit: “I accept you can’t see the show,” he teased a sunglasses-wearing man, “but are you enjoying the sounds?”

When Drake and his spring-heeled band did knuckle down, it made you wish they knuckled down more often and for longer. The epic Take Care and Shot For Me were operatic, richly layered hip-hop while Over showed a man more thoughtful about his fame than those more heralded peers.