The basic level of English spelling amongst youths is a joke

streets.

I'm a lazy speller, and when writing informally (e.g. VIP2) I make many mistakes. However, when writing application forms or filling out something "professional" I always make sure my spelling is on point and if I'm unsure about a word, theres always Word or Google.I'm currently going through application forms for a youth project (age range 15-25) and the basic level of English is APPALLING. I'm talking about 22 year olds writing "found out about this threw word ov mouth" and 18 year olds writing "nefing I can"These application forms are for a SERIOUS job involving SERIOUS money so how can it be that the basic level of English is so bad? I'm shocked.What is being taught in UK class rooms at the moment?!The basic level of English spelling amongst youths is a joke.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

where i work, practically everyone is a graduate, essay writing type degreesthis one woman, sendin all these team emails, EVERY SINGLE ONE has spellin an grammar mistakes, she makes up a lot of words, she writes documents and its the same sh*ti dnt get it, like she didnt go over it one time before she presses sendmy brother was tellin me about one woman at his work, got the job through a friend, same story sh*t spellin sh*t grammar in all her global emailsjus wanned to add that, people in general dont care about writing properly

where i work, practically everyone is a graduate, essay writing type degreesthis one woman, sendin all these team emails, EVERY SINGLE ONE has spellin an grammar mistakes, she makes up a lot of words, she writes documents and its the same sh*ti dnt get it, like she didnt go over it one time before she presses sendmy brother was tellin me about one woman at his work, got the job through a friend, same story sh*t spellin sh*t grammar in all her global emailsjus wanned to add that, people in general dont care about writing properly
The amount of times I have to correct the P.O.S at work post printing is a joke. Some of the grammar & spellings are embarrassing. Grads as well

I also have seen senior people make spelling mistakes and use "lol" slang in their emails. The difference is, these people are already in good jobs and have assistants to correct their mistakes. I'm pretty sure that back in 1991 when they were filling out their application forms they made sure their spelling was correct.It's not only the spelling thats bad, its the grammar as well. If it was 1 or 2 out of every 10 then I wouldn't have thought much of it. But I've done about 100 and at least 75 have had major spelling errors throughout.The closing date has passed for this thing unfortunately.

Guest Lemons

I get emails from senior clients at Diageo who type things like 'c u then' and 'r u there', 'lol' and 'u gt dat peng fam?' It's life. That's how people type now.

i dont blame them tho. anyone over 22 had a better grounding of education than these youngaz, at the age when its best to grasp grammar and spelling i had no wikipedia,no msn,no txting, no hi5, facepicbookspacetwitand its only going to get worse.

i dont blame them tho. anyone over 22 had a better grounding of education than these youngaz, at the age when its best to grasp grammar and spelling i had no wikipedia,no msn,no txting, no hi5, facepicbookspacetwitand its only going to get worse.
There's always been people who can't spell mate.It's not a 21st century phenomenon.

Guest Lemons
That reminds me the other day one girl got angry at me for writing "structured" telling me I was trying too hard to be smart and I should type lyk dis and use patios.I got majorly vexxed.
patio1.jpg