PS3 > Other Blu-ray Players.

Faisal

A couple of days ago, I noted on the Digital Foundry Twitter feed that enterprising coders had found a way to make the PlayStation 3 significantly outperform the Blu-ray spec by enabling video playback of 1080p material at 60 frames per second. The average Blu-ray movie runs at 24FPS while the system's 1080i conformity gives it a notional top-end of 30FPS. But PlayStation 3 goes way beyond that, seemingly without breaking a sweat.The story kicks off with the release of the Sanyo HD2000 camera. Capable of recording 1080p60 video directly into MP4 files, enterprising souls on the Doom9 video forum set about getting clips from this camera to play on standalone BD players, despite the fact there was little hope of it actually working. However, for a while now hackers have been working on reverse-engineering the AVCHD format – the consumer-level sibling to full Blu-ray used by a multitude of HD video cameras. Coder "DeanK", author of the MultiAVCHD authoring tool found that with some effort, clips from the Sanyo camera would work within his tool when played back on PS3.Seeing as my company creates a 1080p60 capable capture system, this proved to be intriguing for me, especially seeing as we can produce this exquisite level of video, but have no consumer-level platform on which to play it! The PS3 XMB held some promise, but despite some efforts at 1080p60 encodes to promote WipEout HD, actual picture quality was distinctly mediocre and higher-end encoding would cause plenty of hiccups. Using DeanK's tools, I found that the PS3's Blu-ray/AVCHD decoder had a clear performance edge over the XMB, allowing for smoother playback of more ambitious files.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalf...pecs-blog-entry
With DivX adopting the Matroska (MKV) file format for its HD files, realistically it's only a matter of time before PS3 offers native support, making the console invaluable for playing just about any kind of media thrown its way.

what is the reason behind loads of major releases on ps3 bein 720 while the same games on sexbox are 1080???iv always wondered this
?I don't have a 1080p screen no more but i've played Elder Scrolls, R&C, GTA4, Ninja Gaiden, GT5P, Virtua Tennis etc and countless PSN games through 1080p.It's the other way round tbh.

what is the reason behind loads of major releases on ps3 bein 720 while the same games on sexbox are 1080???iv always wondered this
?I don't have a 1080p screen no more but i've played Elder Scrolls, R&C, GTA4, Ninja Gaiden, GT5P, Virtua Tennis etc and countless PSN games through 1080p.It's the other way round tbh.
The majority of 360 games aren't native 1080p. They're just upscaled.I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the ps3 upscales SOME games but the 360 upscales them all.You could always force it to just play 1080p but alot of games will look sh*tsafe for the link faiizow dling now