A Thespian's Dilemma...

Michel Kane

For those who don't know already, I've been trying out a part-time acting class & at the end of the course, we have a play (or a medley of plays) at the end, now...The class has 24 people in, and we've been split up into a group of 3 each, and each group have to do a play.The plays are directed by student directors, not professionals, which is cool, but MY director has also decided to use a script of his own, as opposed to what the other directors are doing & using established scripts.This is the problem. The script is ABSOLUTE SHITE. It's a generic romantic comedy; the dialogue is pants & for some unknown reason, he's looking to incorporate SALSA DANCING into it. :/ Now, 2 weeks to go. Every rehearsal, there's always some sort of conflict. One of the actresses' is ready to drop out, the other isn't feeling it but still willing to go through with it, my director is ignorant to the fact he's created this garbage. I'M very close to dropping out myself. This is my 1st performance ever, and I can't come out of the gate like this. Do you lot think I should drop out, or go through with it, bearing in mind, if I drop out, it'll mess up one of the other actress' because she won't be able to perform?I'm pissed, because it seems the course leaders didn't have a look at the script to check if it was of a reasonable standard & now, we're basically f*cked. I'm not sure, because on one hand, I don't want to be unprofessional & on another, going through it, will not only be embarassing, but I KNOW it will only end up in total failure i.e. Medellin, but worse.Any advice?

boy thats a sh*t situation. either way you're gonna look bad!If you're planning on dropping out try and convince the other gyal to do the same. At least that shows you're all in agreement that the piece is sh*t and that you're not just being a prima-donna and/or abrasive nyuggah.But I say go through with it to the best of your ability.If it flops but you perform to a decent standard, the director will have to take the fall, after all you could only do what was put in-front of you.

boy thats a sh*t situation. either way you're gonna look bad!If you're planning on dropping out try and convince the other gyal to do the same. At least that shows you're all in agreement that the piece is sh*t and that you're not just being a prima-donna and/or abrasive nyuggah.But I say go through with it to the best of your ability.If it flops but you perform to a decent standard, the director will have to take the fall, after all you could only do what was put in-front of you.
That's the thing, she's a cool girl, and if I drop out, she'd have wasted her time for nothing.However, the OTHER girl, who just so happens to play my opposite aka my love interest, is NOT ON IT whatsoever. Every opportunity she gets, she kicks up a fuss, and I don't know who here has an interest in acting/theatre/film but when an actor isn't ON it, then it messes with the dynamic & it SHOWS, especially onstage.f*cked.

That's the thing, she's a cool girl, and if I drop out, she'd have wasted her time for nothing.However, the OTHER girl, who just so happens to play my opposite aka my love interest, is NOT ON IT whatsoever. Every opportunity she gets, she kicks up a fuss, and I don't know who here has an interest in acting/theatre/film but when an actor isn't ON it, then it messes with the dynamic & it SHOWS, especially onstage.f*cked.
Sounds to me like you're both going to end up wasting each others time for nothing. If it's not going to work there's nothing you can do about that. If I were you I'd take her to one side and explain that you know the situation dropping out puts her in but you're really not feeling the script at all.

use your romantic prowess to seduce the course leader and anyother said females in the acting schoolthen get them to gang up on the director and tell him his script is sh*tget him expelled from the schoolwithin a short time you will be top dog just like you are on vip2

You've only got yourself to blame! You should have stepped up and said something right at the beginning instead of letting it all go through. I don't understand what the problem is with a forumlated opinion, it could have all been avoided with a few constructive arguments. Now if I was in your position I would just go through with it like a man because you've had your chance for dissaproval.

You've only got yourself to blame! You should have stepped up and said something right at the beginning instead of letting it all go through. I don't understand what the problem is with a forumlated opinion, it could have all been avoided with a few constructive arguments. Now if I was in your position I would just go through with it like a man because you've had your chance for dissaproval.
Yeah, I've come to terms with it on that level, but after constant reviewal, it's only now it's really registered how bad it is...I'm leaning towards taking the L here, being professional & whatnot. It's something to put on an acting CV after all...

Guest Cipher

There are no sh*t scripts. Only sh*t actors.The guy is doing the same thing you are doing, try to help man with the script collectively (well you should have at the start, it may be too late now)What you want to do by going behind his back is the equivalent of HIM emailing the people in charge and asking to have you removed from the group because your acting is sh*t, its a learning curve for everyone so try not to piss all over someone else's workTry suggesting ways to switch up the dialogue/script etc without getting his back up and making him defensive and thus making it impossible - not to mention if you go behind his back you will just seem like a total c*nt & it won't put you in good stead with the course leadersIf you act your part well you will come through it well, even if the script is swag - i've seen tons of things like this, you see some boog play but there will be a few standout actors that held their own, the course leaders will recognise whatever ability you have even if the script doesn't give you the maximum liscence to show it.+I feel you are being typically melodramatic about this

Rah, typically over-dramatic? Lol...Nah, the script is that bad, I'll show it to you if you want...You are right though, if I do go to the course leaders, it's mad snakey & TBH, that, along with the other reasons, is why I've not done it yet because it is a learning experience for all parties involved.We have reviewed the script, over & over again, that's my point. It's so bad, it's got to the point where we might aswell do a whole 'nother play.Know what, PM your email address, I'll send it to you & tell me what you think.

TBH its not that snakey to go behind his back cos at the end of the day his job is director, not script writer.Either all 3 of you tell him to use a different script, or reherse something with the actresses in your own time and perform that instead.