Robin van Persie signs new long-term contract

TF S4DK

Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that Robin van Persie has signed a new long-term contract with the Club. Van Persie (25), who joined the Gunners from home town club Feyenoord in 2004, was Arsenal’s leading goalscorer last season with 20 goals from his 44 overall appearances. In his five seasons with Arsenal, Van Persie, who is capable of turning a match at any time with a flourish of his left foot, has made 177 appearances for the Gunners, scoring a total of 63 goals in all competitions. The Dutch international striker, is also a regular with his national team and has scored 13 goals from his 37 appearances, already helping the Netherlands qualify for the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa. Van Persie, who was an FA Cup winner with the Club in 2005, played an integral part in Arsenal’s run to the UEFA Champions League and FA Cup semi-finals last season. As well as his 11 Premier League goals, Robin scored five times in the Champions League and four in the FA Cup. Throughout the season, Robin produced many important and match winning performances, most notably scoring both goals in the 2-1 league win at Chelsea last November. Arsène Wenger said: “It’s fantastic news that Robin van Persie has committed his long term future to Arsenal Football Club, we’re all delighted. Robin is a hugely gifted player and has the talent and goalscoring ability to win matches at the very top level. We have already seen many times what Robin is capable of on a football pitch, but at only 25, there is still much more to come from him. Robin has the potential to become a true Arsenal great.” Robin van Persie added: “I’m so happy to have signed a new long term contract. I’ve been at the Club for five years now and there really is a great feeling here at Arsenal. We have a top class manager, a squad full of superb young players, a world class stadium and brilliant supporters. Arsenal Football Club has a very bright future and I want to be part of it. "My heart is with Arsenal and I just can’t picture myself in a different shirt. I just can’t see it now because I love this Club so much. If you look at the last five years, look at the steps I have made every season, if you look at the support the Boss and the whole Club gave me, the fans gave me, my team mates gave me – this is the right decision." Everyone at Arsenal Football Club is looking forward to Robin’s continued contribution in the forthcoming years.

Apparently turned down Chelski, Juve, Inter and City

Arsenal striker Robin van Persie reportedly turned down the chance to join Chelsea, Inter, Juventus and Manchester City in order to stay a Gunner.The Dutchman ended much speculation over his future by recently signing a new four-year deal at Arsenal.However, according to the Sunday Mirror, the 25-year-old did have offers from elsewhere, including Chelsea, but decided to resist and remain at the Emirates.Speaking to the British tabloid, the striker revealed how he had made his decision to stay in north London.“I made a list. I wrote on one side what I had. And I wrote down what was lacking,” he revealed.“At Arsenal, Arsene Wenger values my contribution to the team, my fellow players show the same appreciation and everyone who works in the club is wonderful and so warm to me.“Apart from all that I have a great connection with the supporters. I find it fascinating how they show their love for me as a player.“My heart says that I cannot play in the shirt of another club for the next four years.”The forward also insisted that he was hopeful he could win more trophies at Arsenal and that he was determined to help the Gunners claim silverware once more.“The desire to win trophies is even bigger now,” he added.“It would have been easy to say 'We had no chance again to win a trophy, I quit and will sign for another club'.“But that's not me. I am not a quitter.”The Dutch ace also insisted that money was never an issue."Now the club have shown their appreciation. But it is not the money-side why I signed a new deal,” he said."All I want to feel is a bit of respect and a good relationship with everyone at the club.“And that's what I have here."