The Most Important Thing The Presidents Done!

Hernandez Balcazar

Obama urges 'new black mindset'US President Barack Obama has told America's oldest civil rights organisation that African Americans should take charge of their own lives.He told the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) there were "no excuses" for minority children not to succeed.Mr Obama's comments came in a speech at a dinner marking the 100th anniversary of the NAACP.It is his first speech focussing on race since he became US president.The BBC's Jon Donnison in Washington says the tone of the speech was passionate, even preacher-like."Make no mistake: The pain of discrimination is still felt in America," Mr Obama told the NAACP members gathered for the anniversary dinner in New York.He said discrimination was still felt by minorities in the US, including African Americans, Latinos, Muslim Americans and gay people.But he told the NAACP members they had to take responsibility for their lives and their communities. "Government programmes alone won't get our children to the promised land - we need a new mindset, a new set of attitudes," he said.The president said African American communities had "internalised a set of limitations" and "come to expect so little from the world and from ourselves".But he said African American children should instead aspire to be scientists, engineers, Supreme Court judges and presidents."We have to say to our children: 'Yes, if you're African-American, the odds of growing up amid crime and gangs are higher. Yes, if you live in a poor neighbourhood, you will face challenges that someone in a wealthy suburb does not.'"But that's not a reason to get bad grades, that's not a reason to cut class, that's not a reason to give up on your education and drop out of school," he said."No one has written your destiny for you - your destiny is in your hands. You cannot forget that, that's what we have to teach our children."Mr Obama also said he wanted to see a return to strong parenting and adults taking responsibility for the discipline of all children in their community.He drew on his own experiences of growing up with a single mother, praising her for giving him "the chance to make the most of life".
No one has written your destiny for you - your destiny is in your handsBarack Obamahttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8155077.stm

that was a speech a white man could have said. f*ck obama. what is his govt doing to prevent african american children from growing up in gangs and crime and poverty?why do black people have to grow up in such conditions and are still magically expected to do very well? him ramping about his life is waste. his mother was a middle class white woman so he didnt grow up in gangs and crime areas

that was a speech a white man could have said. f*ck obama. what is his govt doing to prevent african american children from growing up in gangs and crime and poverty?why do black people have to grow up in such conditions and are still magically expected to do very well? him ramping about his life is waste. his mother was a middle class white woman so he didnt grow up in gangs and crime areas
even so, perhaps the people he is trying to speak to are more willing to listen to him saying it than some old white guy saying it. The peoples perception of the speaker has a lot to do with how it will be received.

what i was thinkinbut then tbh he jus basically gave that speech that most black parents give to their children'as a black child, u have to work 10 times harder than ur white counterpart to get anywhere'our destiny may not be written for us, but our beginnings sure do seem to be

I thought the exact same thing when I heard it on the news this morning. Watch how on shows like Question Time or them forum type debate programs come on, this is going to be fuel for the white people.I dont care if its Obama who said it, while I agree with his sentiments I dislike the way he said it/way its reported. I will withold further judgement until I see the video, but as of now I'm not really a fan of that talk.Its inspirational talk delivered/will be used as factual.EDIT After reading it again my minds changed. Its true that they need a different mind set, because the Government can only do so much but something doesnt sit right.

I thought the exact same thing when I heard it on the news this morning. Watch how on shows like Question Time or them forum type debate programs come on, this is going to be fuel for the white people.I dont care if its Obama who said it, while I agree with his sentiments I dislike the way he said it/way its reported. I will withold further judgement until I see the video, but as of now I'm not really a fan of that talk.Its inspirational talk delivered/will be used as factual.
c/s thisObama seems very genuine though

I thought the exact same thing when I heard it on the news this morning. Watch how on shows like Question Time or them forum type debate programs come on, this is going to be fuel for the white people.I dont care if its Obama who said it, while I agree with his sentiments I dislike the way he said it/way its reported. I will withold further judgement until I see the video, but as of now I'm not really a fan of that talk.Its inspirational talk delivered/will be used as factual.
A lot of the excuses for getting into gangs and sh*t from personal experience are bullshit. I lived in the same ends, went to the same schools but I came with a different mindset. I wasn't looking to impress next man or chicks with antics, I kept it moving.I don't think people of any race or class in this country are held back. I'm a working class through and through but you'll never see me blame my environment for anything.

A lot of the excuses for getting into gangs and sh*t from personal experience are bullshit. I lived in the same ends, went to the same schools but I came with a different mindset. I wasn't looking to impress next man or chicks with antics, I kept it moving.I don't think people of any race or class in this country are held back. I'm a working class through and through but you'll never see me blame my environment for anything.
if you didnt experience it then you were not in danger of it. some of u neeks need to know that cos u share the same post code as said mandem doesnt mean you share the same experiences.

if you didnt experience it then you were not in danger of it. some of u neeks need to know that cos u share the same post code as said mandem doesnt mean you share the same experiences.
Bullshit. I'm talking about guys I've been around with since I primary days. We all came from the same place, similar upbringing but some kept their heads screwed on and some didn't. About tryna call me a neek. I bet you don't even know what it is to be poor.

Bullshit. I'm talking about guys I've been around with since I primary days. We all came from the same place, similar upbringing but some kept their heads screwed on and some didn't. About tryna call me a neek. I bet you don't even know what it is to be poor.
if youve grown up around and with certain man and seen things u dont wanna be apart of and choose to make a difference to ur OWN life this makes u neeky.ok

if youve grown up around and with certain man and seen things u dont wanna be apart of and choose to make a difference to ur OWN life this makes u neeky.ok
So because I didn't want to be out teefing peds and acting dumb with others I'm neeky? Seen. Are you 14? Serious question.

nobody has the same family background. no two families are the same. you got through your situation but that doesnt mean that others have totheir situation is different wether u beleive it or not.he makes some sense but allow going to a black event and talking like tony blair the c*nt did when he said black people need to sort out gun crime in THEIR community.why is he acting like hes not black? (obama) ok we understand you cant show blackness during the campaign but now that you won why still act like ur shook. say it as it is "black people should NOT have to work 2x as hard anymore in 2009".

So because I didn't want to be out teefing peds and acting dumb with others I'm neeky? Seen. Are you 14? Serious question.
:confused: :confused: who are you talking to bruv?

nobody has the same family background. no two families are the same. you got through your situation but that doesnt mean that others have totheir situation is different wether u beleive it or not.he makes some sense but allow going to a black event and talking like tony blair the c*nt did when he said black people need to sort out gun crime in THEIR community.why is he acting like hes not black? (obama) ok we understand you cant show blackness during the campaign but now that you won why still act like ur shook. say it as it is "black people should NOT have to work 2x as hard anymore in 2009".
f*ck the man tbh listen to the message

im commenting on the message :/

im commenting on the message :/
alright den

its not even possible to make drastic changes in 7 months of power, unless ur some despot or dictator
I cant see any changes he has made to better the people even if it is only 7 monthsHe is just like Bush tbh just a better swagger
true to an extentat least we have a more presentable/respectable looking and sounding person representing the western world