Adebayor: 'Arsenal have the best fans in the league'

New Manchester City recruit Emmanuel Adebayor has blamed his decision to leave Arsenal on his poor relationship with the club's fans.ade-275.jpgGettyImagesAdebayor has never been fully committed to the club.The Togo international was booed by sections of the Gunners faithful last term after a summer which saw him strongly linked with a move from the Emirates Stadium. AC Milan were favourites then but no move materialised.Instead, Adebayor claims the supporters' reaction to the rumours merely ensured he would leave this year, with City on hand with a reported £25m transfer fee.Adebayor said: ''The way the fans behaved towards me was not nice at all. I can't understand why they were after me. I did my best for them and I was very happy there.''I scored 30 goals in a season - it's not my fault that Milan, Barcelona or Real Madrid wanted to sign me. In any summer, Barcelona try to sign Cesc Fabregas. But the fans never turned on him"I know a lot of people will say 'He's gone for the money'. But I would like to see one Arsenal fan who worked somewhere for £10 and was offered work elsewhere for £30 to say they would refuse."Yes, they offered me a very fine contract and I have signed it. Now it's about what I can achieve as a footballer."I come from a very poor city and country. I have a lot of ambition. I've had a career, but I only ever think about going up."Adebayor claims it was manager Arsene Wenger's decision to accept City's bid, although he has denied the relationship between the pair has now been fractured."When I came back from holiday, I landed on July 13 and my agent told me I was going to speak with the club," he told The Sun. "When I did he told me they had come to an agreement with another club."It was a difficult decision to make. But I went away and thought now is the time for another challenge. It took about a week to sort everything out."[Wenger] didn't really say why they wanted to sell me, but I found out that they needed the money and someone had to leave - that was me."Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger put me where I am today but he cannot stand up and say last summer I told him I wanted to leave. I told him I wanted to stay. I don't think our relationship is broken. I think they need the money and need to sell someone."They chose me and they got their money. I hope they spend it quite well and go forward. I sent them my regards."Now I have left Arsenal that is all behind me. It's finished. I was very happy there, they made me what I am today. But I am a Manchester City player and I have to focus on what I can do at this club."
Personally, I reckon he only went for the money as I refuse to believe he could actually hear the Arsenal fans. (LOL YES I SEE THE IRONY RYAN CHILL)

I think there's more to selling Adebayor than meets the eye.
Bentley, Upson, Pennant etc... Hard to have fringe players on the verge of first team when the first teamers are around the same age.Part of the reason Henry left from Wenger's POV was Adebayor HAD to play first team football that season. I reckon it's the same with Bendtner this year.Which brings me to my next point. I'd be PISSED if we sold Bendtner. Beg Milan f*ck off. Safe.If players are crap or play crap they get sold, if you can get someone better in they get sold on, even if they played decent (Eboue wasn't exactly crap @ RB was he? Sagna?)Players leaving and loyalty shouldn't even be mentioned anymore with the amount of money being offered. As well as football, this is WORK for these guys. And someone coming from some poor African country where his parents caught fish with their bare hands and kicked around lettuce bare foot to practice ain't turning down £150,000k a week.
Sick guy

Like I said previously this is an excuse to leave really.Home fans were mixed, some cheered him, some booed him.Away fans fully backed him (at least at games anyway)Swear I sung an Adebayor song more than any other song last season.I remember after one northern away game last season, one of the other's teams fan was like "I thought you lot didn't like Adebayor?!"

He still actually believes that he hasn't done anything wrong.Most football fans really only want loyalty, dedication and effort from thier players and hope a good performance comes with that. Adebayor hasn't showed any of these things since the end of 07/08 season and to top it all off he got a better contract while doing it. Guy is seriously deluded if he can't see why the fans 'turned on him'. Interviews like this just make me happier he has gone.Lol @ him comparing his situation to cesc.

Pretty sure the first half of that article is old quotes. I remember seeing an interview with him about 3 months ago where he said exactly that.And he defo went for the money, what the f*ck does he care for? He's Togolese.Just imagine if you were playing for Lagos City and Lagos Town offered you double your wages and a massive signing on fee. You'd go in an instant.

He got sold without putting in a transfer request which surely means that Arsenal wanted to sell him?
Because he wanted his loyalty bonus or someshit (apparently), but it was obvious he wanted to go and i doubt Wenger wanted to keep him knowing that

lol@blaming the fans. Footballers have no people skills.
they r dumb, they let there agents run there life nd agents r bigger money grabbers than any footballer cos thats there jobor they come and have no understanding of culturethe typical working class fan (i no theres dying at arsenal) will not relate to someone like adebayor sayin i come from a poor countrythen saying i want to be on the same money as henrythen puttin himself about town in some flash motor with his number nd name ebroided in the seatswhether hes right or wrong to do it the fans aint gonna respect thatunless u have the ability of a henry

Like I stated, this is about wages, not new challenges, but wages. Man City will go places eventually. But if it was about challenges and football he'd have stayed at Arsenal, or demanded to go Milan last season.Robinho, Santa Cruz, Tevez (maybe ahead of him). Adebayor, Bellamy. How much money is that in transfers? He's just proven he's happy to play 50% of the time for £150,000k a week. They're not in the Champions League yet, which means they'll have to sacrifice most other cups for the league.5 excellent strikers (9 in all) competing for 2 places with a HALF DECENT midfield and defense. Lol @ this side coming 4th this year.Back on topic tho, loyalty means nothing. We slate them when they play crap and demand they're dropped. If they continue to play crap we demand they're sold, if there's someone better we demand they replace whoever is in their position. Players are told all the time they're surplus to requirments and go find another club. Sameway managers can get rid of them, I think players should be allowed to move on if they want. Adebayor just went about things the wrong way and gassed all the fans and in the end (start of last season) no one bought it. He brought it on himself...