The Premier League - 90s vs 21st century

TF S4DK

Obviously the levels have risen in the 21st century, thats not even debatable, but I was just thinking of the amount of characters the league had in the 90s - Cantona, Ian Wright, Ruddock, Julian d*cks (no homo), Keegan, Schmeichel, Collymore, Ginola, Asprilla, Dean Holdsworth, Bruce Grobbelaar, Dennis Wise, Robbie Fowler, Duncan Ferguson, Vinny Jones, these are just off the top of my head but there is bare other icon figures from that era. Some weren't even good ballers but they still made the league sick.Now the game just seems all about money, and no fun. Don't get me wrong its always been about money & the 90s probably created the "top 4" anyway.I dunno maybe I was just younger but the league seemed more enjoyable, or should I say entertaining.Lol at when a club would sign two foreigners from one country & there stadium would become like a mini-shrine to that country, for example Middlesborough & the Brazilians (Juninho & Emerson), Tottenham & the Romanians (Popescu & Dumistrescu)

Not really sure about the topic in general but regarding the characters aspect the intense pressure/rivalry doesn't allow there to be any characters anymore. Before you could appreciate players from others clubs but nowadays everybody is a pedo, racist, fag, d*ckhead etc. I remember telling another Chelsea fan a long time ago that Henry is the greatest Premier League player ever and he was looking at me like I done something wrong and started chatting about Zola etc. Now I love Zola but that just showed me most football supporters can’t admire/respect other players and the reason why I don’t waste time chatting about football with a lot of guys.

Yeah because we adopted Romania as our 2nd home?!The f*ck...Anyway one of those said Romanians ended your sh*t team back in the mid 90's.
How many Premier Leagues you won? Pshhhhh.Don't act like you dont remember. Like say your fans didnt consider bringing in German flags for idol Klinsmann, then thinking better of it...Always one d*ckhead that tries to take the topic elsewhere.

My bredrin was saying this to me @ The Emirates cup *wonders if TF was sitting near by*No real characters these days, where's the hard men, the funny men, the playboys, the alcoholics? etc It's all very professional & serious now.
Didnt go Emirates Cup yesterday, nor am I today.

You can't get away with drinking 20 a day and still comfortably be the best player in the league anymore.The way the Champions League and the top 4 places are set up it's much easier to stay on top now a days than it was 10-15 years ago. Everything favours the top clubs - if you were a top club in 2002 then you pretty much had your future confirmed. And those that did try and close the gap by taking risks (Newcastle and Leeds) fell short and we know what happened to them.It wont even go a tenth of the way to making the league more open but one idea is to give the 4th European Cup spot to the side that wins the FA Cup. It would make the cup more competitive and on the very rare occasion a non top 4 wins the cup it would open the league up a little more.

You can't get away with drinking 20 a day and still comfortably be the best player in the league anymore.The way the Champions League and the top 4 places are set up it's much easier to stay on top now a days than it was 10-15 years ago. Everything favours the top clubs - if you were a top club in 2002 then you pretty much had your future confirmed. And those that did try and close the gap by taking risks (Newcastle and Leeds) fell short and we know what happened to them.It wont even go a tenth of the way to making the league more open but one idea is to give the 4th European Cup spot to the side that wins the FA Cup. It would make the cup more competitive and on the very rare occasion a non top 4 wins the cup it would open the league up a little more.
I really really don't get this idea of giving a CL place to the winners of a cup competition.Using Leeds as an example is misleading as well seen as they were CL semi finalists and would have been able to maintain their status as one of the top clubs had they not gone crazy in the transfer market.Newcastle are another bad example, they were up there and f*cked it up cos they made a bad managerial decision.But in response to the TF the characters of football are dead because it's blatantly obvious the players are given bare media training, post match interviews for players are pointless these days because I know what they're gonna say to every question. One of the reasons I liked Fowler so much was because his personality came through on the pitch, I'll never forget the way he boyed Le Saux.I can't really think of one upcoming player who's personality comes through on the pitch like that.

Players too shook to piss off sponsors and dont speak their mind.
This is one of the main reasons Roy Keane was one if the last Real characters and look what happened to him.Even people like Fergie who people still seem to think takes no sh*t from no one and does what he wants has succumbed to this bullshit i love the guy but his comments before and then after the Glazer takeover sums it up.
Not really sure about the topic in general but regarding the characters aspect the intense pressure/rivalry doesn't allow there to be any characters anymore. Before you could appreciate players from others clubs but nowadays everybody is a pedo, racist, fag, d*ckhead etc. I remember telling another Chelsea fan a long time ago that Henry is the greatest Premier League player ever and he was looking at me like I done something wrong and started chatting about Zola etc. Now I love Zola but that just showed me most football supporters can’t admire/respect other players and the reason why I don’t waste time chatting about football with a lot of guys.
Manchester United have been getting this ridiculous ammount of hate since forever so it breeds a siege mentality among the fansthe more successful Chelsea become the more you'll be hated and you'll start to see your fellow supporters being unable tio give any other teams/players creditI BLAME SKY SPORTS FOR EVERYTHING WRONG WITH WHAT WAS OUR GAME i want to reclaim Old Trafford and run round the pitch with the heads of Glazer and Murdoch on a stick (i have this dream on a weekly basis)

To be honest a Chelsea fan who thinks Zola was better than Henry, is just a c*nt. Nothing to do with siege mentality or hate or Sky, they are just an utter c*nt.Its like when I ask certain Man Utd fans... Cantona or Henry? They say Henry. Ok I say...Then I flip it and say Henry or Ronaldo? They say Ronaldo. Even better I say...Then I f*ck with their mind and say Ronaldo or Cantona? They say Cantona.Lol. Definition of a bias c*nt.Lets not even go into the Keane or Vieira debate.

Always have and always will love football.I dont think I have ever thought one period was better then another if im honest (or if I did its because I only remember the beat things from partricular seasons ie Liverpool 4-3 Newcasgle). Money, Sky, League formats, Media training, fans who dont even make a sound at the stadium...none of this could make me dislike football even in the slightest. None.

Depends on what kinda fan your asking because despite all the gesturing and what not alot of United fans today either dont remember Cantona or wern't United fans when he was about so when you ask em Ronaldo or Henry they are giving there oppinion and when you ask them Cantona or Ronaldo they are saying what they feel they have to

Always have and always will love football.I dont think I have ever thought one period was better then another if im honest (or if I did its because I only remember the beat things from partricular seasons ie Liverpool 4-3 Newcasgle). Money, Sky, League formats, Media training, fans who dont even make a sound at the stadium...none of this could make me dislike football even in the slightest. None.
Probably because ppl our age have no real reference to how things were before so we dont notice the big change or know what we're missing

True.Everyone older that I speak to (40 plus) usually tell me that pre 92 was the best. Obv I wouldnt have a clue seeing as I was born in 89 but still..Football>>>>>..
always.. but football did seem to be more fun back when i was at school and before the bitterness of life as a spurs fan killed any optimism I had in me.

Yeah because we adopted Romania as our 2nd home?!The f*ck...Anyway one of those said Romanians ended your sh*t team back in the mid 90's.
How many Premier Leagues you won? Pshhhhh.Don't act like you dont remember. Like say your fans didnt consider bringing in German flags for idol Klinsmann, then thinking better of it...Always one d*ckhead that tries to take the topic elsewhere.
Klinsmann>>>>>>>And no i have never seen German flags at WHL or this "talk" of our fans considering it, (well i have but thats some Kraut c*nt who supports us and Bayern and comes to the lane once a season) so along with your Romanian story, once again you are chatting sh*t.Not trying to take the topic anywhere, just asking you to stop lieing.As for the question, 90's hands down, nothing beats going to your teams ground when you were first getting into football and understanding it, when you were a kid everything seemed so much simpler and better, in a naive way of course. Nowadays, i still love football but that magic has gone. Whether its down to growing up or the actual English game dieing (so tp speak) i dont know...

I think they were, 4 different title winners in the 90's - we came second twice, Newcastle came second twice, Liverpool came second bare times. Norwich came third.Then you had sh*t like us in 1998, top after 23 games or something, we'd have probably been a lot closer had we had a decent manager.Arsenal going from bottom half to title winners in 3 seasons. That wouldn't happen now (unless you spend £350m) - this decade only 7 teams I think (Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, Chelsea, Everton) have occupied the top 4 positions in the league.

Guest Tulse Hill

Well someones gotta win it! and the best teams wins it regardless of money, money can improve your chances/team but it does not garantee victory that comes with managers and determination.Manchester United have always relied on bringing through their youth players whilst other clubs have sold theirs and what might of been the story if they had kept them i.e Everton - Rooney? you could argue would they be in this position today with him or not but still remains he is one of the best in the world and they let him go.Anyone can break the top 4 today with a decent team and it doesnt even have to cost much if you got the right guys coming through and thats whats happend in previous eras - teams have periods of success through a spurt of talented youths the hard part is sustaining the success with the attraction of bigger names.Anythings possible you must believe this.Does a 30 million pound player have 30 million percent chance of putting away a 1-on-1 than a youth product? NOPE.HAVE FAITH!

You've got a point sometimes its just down to the mindset and attitude of the players playing for clubs outside the top 4they dont seem to believe that they can break through the invisible screen and that the top 4 are set in stone and so they end up settling for a uefa cup place and are happy with that.Everton went from finishing 1 point above the relegation zone to qualifying for the CL in one season without spending an amazing fortune good manager and players willing to fight for the cause = Relative success and the ability to break the top 4 look at Sunderland and Ipswich got promoted and took the league by storm.and plus this defence 1st strategy employed by a lot of clubs stifles their ambitions