Argentine Meltdown..

Hmmm

The start of the football season in Argentina has been delayed indefinitely because many of the clubs involved are heavily in debt.The season had been due to kick off on 14 August, but the Argentine Football Association (AFA) said some clubs did not have enough money to pay players.AFA President Julio Grondona said the situation was "very difficult".Last week, clubs in the second division had the start of their season postponed for similar reasons."The executive committee of the AFA resolved unanimously tonight that the championships in all categories should not start on the scheduled dates," said a statement posted on the AFA website late on Tuesday.The organisation said it was continuing to look for "a substantive solution" to the financial problems facing the clubs and that their decision "will not affect intelligent and dignified meetings to seek a solution satisfactory to both parties".But the AFA said Argentina's involvement in the Copa Sudamericana, the regional South Americas tournament, would not be affected.A friendly between Argentina and Russia on 12 August will also go ahead.Argentine officials say the global economic crisis has had a big impact on clubs in the country, because they depend heavily on rich European teams buying their players.Mr Grondona said an increase in revenue from television rights could help to ease the AFA's problems but had so far not been secured."The available resources cannot meet expenses. The situation is very difficult," he said.
dont know much else about argentine football/players that play there but surely the dude in my avi has to be worth a punt from someone?!?!

I know theres never been alot of money in south American football in general which is why alot of players are owned by separate sports companies, MSi etcSuppose the whole economic crisis was bound to hit them hard, swear though i dunno why Brazilian and Argentinian football is slept on so hard via sporting channelsESPN your time

I think most places don't see it worth picking up the rights in terms of people viewing them.There was a channel on SKY last year which showed Brazilian football, I watched a few games but the standard isn't all that yet we do show Scottish football, I know I know.Is a shame what's going down in Argentina but when people don't earn enough and tickets are so cheap it will cause problems in the money side of things, some teams don't pay players for months.Riquelme I'd be amazed if he come back to Europe, from what I've heard he hasn't been that good (lately, putting that aside I've always been a fan, he seems to the last in a dying breed of player makers 10.) and for what he is earning it does cause friction.