I knew England weren't "the best"....

streets.

...but when it's put like this, it does make you think

England have not done as well at world cups as Germany & Italy because they have not been anywhere near as good.Since 'winning' in 1966, England have reached ONE semi final (after che@ting their way past a far superior Cameroon).That feat puts England on the same level as Uruguay, Belgium, Sweden, Bulgaria, Croatia, S Korea, Portugal and Turkey.Behind the likes of Poland, France and Netherlands.Well behind Argentina and light years behind Brazil, Italy and Germany.In knockout games since 1966 England have won against Paraguay, Belgium, Cameroon, Denmark and Ecuador.Italy have beaten Mexico, Germany (3 times), Argentina, Brazil, Poland, Uruguay, Ireland, England, Nigeria, Spain, Bulgaria, Norway, Australia, Ukraine and France.Germany have beaten USSR, England (2), Holland (2), France (2), Morocco, Mexico (2), Czechoslovakia, Argentina (2), Belgium, Paraguay, USA, S Korea, Sweden, Portugal.

Too many foreigners in the first division.Before that there were too many Irish and Scots.And before that there were too many Scousers.Back in the day when someone would be hung, drawn and quartered if they were from London and supported a team in another part of the country they've never been to.Good times.

lol^I think the majority of it is down to a lack of strength in depth (and bad luck).WC90 the length of Gazza's studs away from being in the final and face a very poor Argentina team. With conditions and a time zone that favoured us. Then we end up going out on the lottery that is penalties.Euro 96 home tournament, bettered Germany for large periods and again late decent chances misses and another penalty exit.WC2002 we'd have had a bloody good chance of winning it had we got past Brazil. 1-1, games pretty even (take into account we were already missing Neville, Gerrard, Murphy and Beckham wasn't fit) and a freak goal and a keeping error combine to win it. We've got nothing on the bench to switch it up and whimper out.We were more than capable of winning Euro 2004, infact we should have. Rooney gets injured after us dominating, no strength in depth so Vassell and Owen upfront - even still Sol Campbell has a perfectly good goal late in stoppage time ruled out and we end up going out on pens.WC2006 - Neville injured. Beckham getting injured. Rooney getting sent off. Owen getting injured and leaving us with 2 strikers (and Walcott). And another penalty defeat. Win that and we're in the semi's. We were no worse than France or Italy that tournament - we just didn't have the strength in depth.

lol^I think the majority of it is down to a lack of strength in depth (and bad luck).WC90 the length of Gazza's studs away from being in the final and face a very poor Argentina team. With conditions and a time zone that favoured us. Then we end up going out on the lottery that is penalties.Euro 96 home tournament, bettered Germany for large periods and again late decent chances misses and another penalty exit.WC2002 we'd have had a bloody good chance of winning it had we got past Brazil. 1-1, games pretty even (take into account we were already missing Neville, Gerrard, Murphy and Beckham wasn't fit) and a freak goal and a keeping error combine to win it. We've got nothing on the bench to switch it up and whimper out.We were more than capable of winning Euro 2004, infact we should have. Rooney gets injured after us dominating, no strength in depth so Vassell and Owen upfront - even still Sol Campbell has a perfectly good goal late in stoppage time ruled out and we end up going out on pens.WC2006 - Neville injured. Beckham getting injured. Rooney getting sent off. Owen getting injured and leaving us with 2 strikers (and Walcott). And another penalty defeat. Win that and we're in the semi's. We were no worse than France or Italy that tournament - we just didn't have the strength in depth.
remember this, as sol was making his was up the pitch, way before the ball even came in i said to my mate and his whole family, sol is going to score here. i just had some crazy feeling about it. when nuts when it went in and then got deflated when it was disallowedtbh im not expecting much from england this time round,

Our problem at present is we don't play a balanced team. Trying to fit in players because they individually may be better. We should play on our strengths. England have some pretty quick players so if I where in charge id play a solid defence pacey wingers (no bentleys) play our centre mids deep, two quick strikers and counter attack like mofos. Because we cleary can't pass the ball about nicely like Argentina. :P

England are any Tottenham
Tottenham win trophies.
What's the international equivalent of the Carling Cup where everyone sends out their reserves and no one cares?
the home nations tournament lolwhich england did used to win all the time when they played it

England under El Tel & Hoddle >>>They could propa keep the ball and everythingSicknote should be our next manager, hes talking great stuff here

But Terry [Venables, England manager in 1996] believed in passing the ball. I played wing-back with Steve McMananan on the other side and it was so enjoyable, such a good team to play in."Between 1994 and 2001 Anderton won 30 England caps and here's some trivia gold: the last five caps were conferred by five different managers, latterly Sven Goran Eriksson. "It frustrated me watching England under Sven," he adds. "I felt we were far too direct at times, with Michael Owen playing on the defender's shoulder wanting the ball over the top. We had people like Becks and Stevie G who could hit those balls but I felt we overdid it. Capello's different again. He's building a winning team and it doesn't matter too much how they win. Once we get to a tournament I think we'll be hard to beat."I invite Anderton to play hypotheticals. Which of the current England team does he think would have won a place in the Euro 96 team?A pause, and a quick peak at the telly, as if looking for inspiration. "That's a tough one. Gerrard would always be in my team, but there aren't many others I'd swap. I'd always have Teddy [sheringham] and Shearer up front, and in midfield Gazza and Incey were perfect foils for each other. I suppose Terry and Ferdinand might just get in ahead of Adams and Southgate."