Eduardo to be charged with diving by UEFA

Guest Cipher

Guest Cipher
_46275240_eduardo_boruc_282b_sns.jpgUefa has charged Arsenal's Eduardo for "deceiving the referee" after he appeared to dive to win a penalty in the Champions League win over Celtic.European football's governing body could ban the Croatian striker for up to two games when its disciplinary body examines the case on 1 September.After Eduardo converted the resulting spot kick, the Gunners went on to win 3-1 at the Emirates Stadium.They won 5-1 on aggregate to secure a spot in the group stages.If Eduardo is suspended he would miss Standard Liege away on 16 September and the home match with Olympiacos on 29 September.Scottish FA chief executive Gordon Smith has called for the Brazil-born Eduardo to be banned over Wednesday's penalty incident at the Emirates. 606: DEBATEIt doesn't look like a penalty, neither does it look like a dive to meGunner_For_Real"Eduardo showed disrespect to the game by his actions," he said."We have shown courage to use retrospective punishment when it comes to simulation. I'd urge Uefa to do so."There appeared to be no contact between Eduardo and Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc but referee Manuel Gonzalez still gave a penalty midway through the first half.Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger admitted afterwards the penalty award was dubious, although he said it was not clear his player had dived.Celtic midfielder Massimo Donati, however, suggested Eduardo should be banned for two matches.And in a strongly-worded statement Smith said: "Since I came into post I have raised the issue of simulation time and time again - both here in Scotland and with Fifa and Uefa."I don't think that I have received enough support in my efforts to eradicate what I believe to be one of the most serious threats to the integrity of football."Last night showed exactly why we must take this issue seriously."Everything that can be done to stamp it out must be done. Starting right now."Uefa president Michel Platini believes additional assistant referees behind each goal line would combat diving.He said: "One day players will give up simulating because refs will see them. I am convinced that you have referees nearby, then you will stop this."Celtic had travelled to the Emirates 2-0 down from the first leg in Glasgow, when Arsenal had been the better side but had scored with a deflection and an own goal.The first goal in London, then, was likely to be crucial and Boruc was incensed when Gonzalez pointed to the spot."I see no reason why we cannot use technology to assist referees," said Smith."We need a serious debate on these issues. Everyone in football has a responsibility to set the right example to our youngsters."We can talk all we want about Fair Play campaigns, but taking action would be a much more powerful deterrent and would send the right message to players everywhere."Donati is another who is keen to see Uefa use video evidence."If it is clear on TV, then Uefa must act and ban him," said Donati."I think he should get a two-match ban because it wasn't a penalty. I told him that and everyone in the Celtic team told him that."Donati believes Eduardo should be treated the same way as Lithuania striker Saulius Mikoliunas, who was punished for diving against Scotland at Hampden Park in September 2007.After that occasion Uefa used video evidence before giving Mikoliunas a two-match ban.
So, now that this has happened, will UEFA put their foot down and try to come down hard on divers, or will they simply make an example of this one player and forget it all again for a couple of years like they did in 2007? Obvs it is hate for England coming to the fore yet again.Though I disagree with diving (mostly) I can't say its fair to ban him, not because other players do it and not because I beleive it was a penalty (because it wasn't) but at the time he dived, the in-match penalty for simulation / unsporting behaviour is a Yellow Card.Surely logically you cannot issue a ban to someone for something that is, by the rules, only a yellow card offense at best. Laughable.This is clumsy attempt at regulating is like trying to kill an ant with a sledgehammer imo.Maybe'll have a positive outcome though.Personally as much as everyone hates it, diving/hamming it up is a part of football. Always has been and always will be, they just need to instruct referee's to BOOK individuals for diving when they see it.But then this causes an issue of, is there a line between diving, and going down a bit easy? Will fines, bans and cards be issues for these aswell?Should a player have to fall down to get a free-kick?What happens when a player rolls around on the floor holding his leg as if it has just had a bullet pass through it?What happens when a player goes down holding his face from a challenge that barely grazed his cheek?If they are to use video evidence to review things, will unjust cards be revoked?etc

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a dive.But why start focusing on dives now? Especially as the likes of Ashley Young and Gerrard do it every game and never get punished.
Its UEFA not FA, Young has never played in the champions league.Plus bare players dive we know this, but nobody truly makes that big of a deal out of it.

there not gnna start focussing on divesi think every player needs to see and learn to NOT dive against scottish opposition the only other player to get banned was for diving against scotland so its bait the SFA be snitching, so UEFA got to do something about itbut NO WAY will they do something about a dive unless a footballing association makes a direct complaint

there not gnna start focussing on divesi think every player needs to see and learn to NOT dive against scottish opposition the only other player to get banned was for diving against scotland so its bait the SFA be snitching, so UEFA got to do something about itbut NO WAY will they do something about a dive unless a footballing association makes a direct complaint

It was a dive.But why start focusing on dives now? Especially as the likes of Ashley Young and Gerrard do it every game and never get punished.
the same reason you chose to say Young & Gerrard instead of the hundreds of foreigners that have been doing it for years, they have a complex.Dumb decision by UEFA, the barefaced no bally hatred they show towards England is funny though.

the same reason you chose to say Young & Gerrard instead of the hundreds of foreigners that have been doing it for years, they have a complex.
I think he talking about the media focusing on it, which in turn caused UEFA too. English players diving is overlooked by the English media.

Guest Tulse Hill

Wenger's press confernce was too much,He said he's going to pick up every incident in Uefa Champions League and challenge uefaA bad door has been opened"How can you complain about video evidence not being used yet you use it to punish a player " wengerThis bloke could f*ck*ng make mohammaed, ramadam, jesus, god, look silly

HOW can you even decieve a referee??????Referees aren't meant to give ANY foul unless they have seen it. Clearly as there was no foul the referee isn't doing his job properly and maybe HE should be punished!Referees need to stop giving fouls just because they think it might have been if they haven't ACTUALLY DEFINITELY seen it!

Guest Cipher

Lol, I wouldn't agree, how can a dive be worse than another? They are both going down without any contact from the opposing player.Just because one may look better to you it doesn't make it any less unsportsmanlike and its still a player cheating a team out of a chance to win.

Guest Tulse Hill

i feel to re-open the getwellsooneduardo blog,start a campagin for people to gather together evidence of dives last year and i'll write an email to uefa with the evidence