The Official Liverpool FC Thread

The Infamous

Season has been shambolic in so many ways, I just hope lessons have been learned.

I think Kenny's main mistake was changing too much too quickly, the team that showed lots of potential when he first took over was broken up and replaced with players lacking the ability and mentality to play for the club.

A certain someone used to bang on about mentality so much and up until this season it never hit home to me how important it is, some players just aren't built to play for clubs with high expectations. On top of that Kenny has kept faith in some of these players when they aren't even putting in the required level of effort never mind performance.

If Kenny stays I want to see this ruthless streak so many of the elders have been telling me about makes an appearance.

c/s

The attack of Meireles, Suarez, Kuyt and maxi worked well for us and i'm still baffled why we abandoned that game plan so rapidly. Instead of using that as a base and making signings that built upon that we sold one of them and basically shunned two of the others for inferior signings. We should have signed players that complimented that playstyle and rotated the new wingers with Maxi and Kuyt, Meireles is a strange one, i still feel he would have stayed had we kept to the agreement (even with the change in ownership) but even with him leaving, we should have already had that covered with Aquilani being retained as an attacking option. Instead we let both go bringing in no real like for like replacement for either, brought in Downing forcing Maxi out of the side and put way too much faith in him on that left hand side and used Henderson on the right way too much when he should have been used primarily in the centre from the start.

Personally, i want Downing sold. From what i've seen the guys f*ck*ng cowardly, shuns any challenge and plays like a timid child in a room full of shouting adults. Sick to death of seeing him one on one with a fullback, only to bottle it and turn around to pass it to someone else then just stand and watch. Not many seem to pinpoint it but his game intellegence seems pathetic to me, he makes the shittest laziest runs and rarely ever occupies the dangerous positions Kuyt and Maxi do. Can't believe with the pace he has he runs at his man so little. Granted some of his crosses this season have been brililant and he can't blamed for others missing chances presented to them on a silver platter but that seems to be all he does, a few great crosses every so often then he coasts. I'd love to see him come but he just looked shook for too much of the season.

The excuses made for players like Downing getting endless starts while much better players warm the bench have been pathetic and i find it nuts so many think instead of convincing Maxi and Kuyt to stay while simultaneously improving our results we were right to 'bed in' Downing ready for next season and just resign ourselves to the fact Maxi and Kuyt will leave, ignoring the fact they want to leave because of that same lack of starts.

Carroll has been much improved (especially since the newcastle game), still has alot to improve on but atleast he repaying Kennys faith and working his arse off for the team.

Some of Kennys decisions this season worry me for next season, granted every manager is stubborn, but some of the stuff Kenny sticks to relentlessly just baffles me. Maxi and Kuyts omission, Downings repeated sh*t performances being tolerated, the insistence on using Henderson on the right, Carragher starting over Coates many times, The overuse of Enrique when he clearly needed a rest, The persistent use of Gerrard at CM and bringing Shelvey back from Blackpool only to sit him on the bench for however many games before finally using him and seeing him thrive.

This kind of sh*t needs to change, we suffered from it countless times and its like we wait till we suffer bad results from it too much before finally changing things.

Summer was incredibly costly, not even just the signings but ignoring the massive gaps in the side aswell, couldn't believe we never brought in a back up DM and another striker and it inevitably cost us numerous times throughout the season.

I like Kenny but he needs to either go back to the plan that worked so well when he first took over from Hodgson or make adjustments to what seems to be his current plan and stop accomodating these below par players and performances.

I'm liking our reported transfer targets as they seem like what we should have gone for in the first place but knowing us we'll just be linked then not actually make a decent enough effort to secure them.

I was gonna go in on downing in my last post but he's not worth the bandwidth of 2 lines. Biggest shithouse I've seen on a pitch thus far, it's disgusting.

Couldn't agree more on the point about Meireles, Suarez, Maxi and Kuyt, last season our movement off the ball was clearly a key factor in our improvement but for whatever reason we bought players in key positions that are too static.

Carroll is definitely improving, at one point he didn't seem like his heart was in it but in the past few months he's begun to look more like the player we saw at Newcastle. for me he needs to be less involved in the buildup simply because he isn't mobile enough to then follow up and take up a good position in the box.

On too many occasions when he comes deep and gets involved he's nowhere to be seen when the ball gets played into the areas he's most dangerous. He needs to work on his movement off the ball as well but there have been a lot of encouraging signs of late.

I like what I've been hearing about our summer targets as well, less emphasis on where they are born and more on how good they are.

Season has been shambolic in so many ways, I just hope lessons have been learned.

I think Kenny's main mistake was changing too much too quickly, the team that showed lots of potential when he first took over was broken up and replaced with players lacking the ability and mentality to play for the club.

A certain someone used to bang on about mentality so much and up until this season it never hit home to me how important it is, some players just aren't built to play for clubs with high expectations. On top of that Kenny has kept faith in some of these players when they aren't even putting in the required level of effort never mind performance.

If Kenny stays I want to see this ruthless streak so many of the elders have been telling me about makes an appearance.

c/s

The attack of Meireles, Suarez, Kuyt and maxi worked well for us and i'm still baffled why we abandoned that game plan so rapidly. Instead of using that as a base and making signings that built upon that we sold one of them and basically shunned two of the others for inferior signings. We should have signed players that complimented that playstyle and rotated the new wingers with Maxi and Kuyt, Meireles is a strange one, i still feel he would have stayed had we kept to the agreement (even with the change in ownership) but even with him leaving, we should have already had that covered with Aquilani being retained as an attacking option. Instead we let both go bringing in no real like for like replacement for either, brought in Downing forcing Maxi out of the side and put way too much faith in him on that left hand side and used Henderson on the right way too much when he should have been used primarily in the centre from the start.

Personally, i want Downing sold. From what i've seen the guys f*ck*ng cowardly, shuns any challenge and plays like a timid child in a room full of shouting adults. Sick to death of seeing him one on one with a fullback, only to bottle it and turn around to pass it to someone else then just stand and watch. Not many seem to pinpoint it but his game intellegence seems pathetic to me, he makes the shittest laziest runs and rarely ever occupies the dangerous positions Kuyt and Maxi do. Can't believe with the pace he has he runs at his man so little. Granted some of his crosses this season have been brililant and he can't blamed for others missing chances presented to them on a silver platter but that seems to be all he does, a few great crosses every so often then he coasts. I'd love to see him come but he just looked shook for too much of the season.

The excuses made for players like Downing getting endless starts while much better players warm the bench have been pathetic and i find it nuts so many think instead of convincing Maxi and Kuyt to stay while simultaneously improving our results we were right to 'bed in' Downing ready for next season and just resign ourselves to the fact Maxi and Kuyt will leave, ignoring the fact they want to leave because of that same lack of starts.

Carroll has been much improved (especially since the newcastle game), still has alot to improve on but atleast he repaying Kennys faith and working his arse off for the team.

Some of Kennys decisions this season worry me for next season, granted every manager is stubborn, but some of the stuff Kenny sticks to relentlessly just baffles me. Maxi and Kuyts omission, Downings repeated sh*t performances being tolerated, the insistence on using Henderson on the right, Carragher starting over Coates many times, The overuse of Enrique when he clearly needed a rest, The persistent use of Gerrard at CM and bringing Shelvey back from Blackpool only to sit him on the bench for however many games before finally using him and seeing him thrive.

This kind of sh*t needs to change, we suffered from it countless times and its like we wait till we suffer bad results from it too much before finally changing things.

Summer was incredibly costly, not even just the signings but ignoring the massive gaps in the side aswell, couldn't believe we never brought in a back up DM and another striker and it inevitably cost us numerous times throughout the season.

I like Kenny but he needs to either go back to the plan that worked so well when he first took over from Hodgson or make adjustments to what seems to be his current plan and stop accomodating these below par players and performances.

I'm liking our reported transfer targets as they seem like what we should have gone for in the first place but knowing us we'll just be linked then not actually make a decent enough effort to secure them.

I was gonna go in on downing in my last post but he's not worth the bandwidth of 2 lines. Biggest shithouse I've seen on a pitch thus far, it's disgusting.

Couldn't agree more on the point about Meireles, Suarez, Maxi and Kuyt, last season our movement off the ball was clearly a key factor in our improvement but for whatever reason we bought players in key positions that are too static.

Carroll is definitely improving, at one point he didn't seem like his heart was in it but in the past few months he's begun to look more like the player we saw at Newcastle. for me he needs to be less involved in the buildup simply because he isn't mobile enough to then follow up and take up a good position in the box.

On too many occasions when he comes deep and gets involved he's nowhere to be seen when the ball gets played into the areas he's most dangerous. He needs to work on his movement off the ball as well but there have been a lot of encouraging signs of late.

I like what I've been hearing about our summer targets as well, less emphasis on where they are born and more on how good they are.

Guy pisses me off more than any player we've had in a long long time. Some of the players we've had have been weakkkk, but atleast they f*ck*ng tried and gave 100% and we're respectful in that they did what they could. Needs a f*ck*ng wake up call.

Yeah the replacements just don't seem to have the same intellegence and reading of the game, we seemed determined to ship out all the players who like to play pass and move. Need to rectify that ASAP.

Agree on Carroll, that Newcastle game was a big turning point for him, its been happening gradually but the improvement seems to have accelerated since that game. Before he was miscontrolling it everywhere, falling over, making terrible runs and now he's bringing down high passes holding off a couple of men and even throwing out dummies to take players on. He's not as clumsy and lumbering as people like to make out imo. Seems like another crouch issue where he's instantly seen as a big target so we must fire a high pass his way, when in reality he uses his feet well and works better with passes that are hung up into the space ahead of him for him to go and meet. His two best examples have been against Terry, the goal in the final and the nutmeg in the 4-1 game. Obviously his height must be utilised, he's strong in the air and wins alot of headers but i hate the way people pigeonhole as if all he can do is win a few headers and he can't play in a side that passes and moves with a quick tempo. Agree he should play higher up when we are on the attack, its definately a combination between his movement and his mobility.

We can do more to benefit his game aswell, watching the Bilbao games and the way the widemen help llorente was just an annoying reminder of how many times carrolls pulled down a difficult high pass and held off his man only for someone like downing to be standing watching instead of bursting into the space in behind for a lay off. We need to use his flick ons more aswell, sick of seeing him win a header with a flick on only for Suarez to be struggling to get on the end of it because he doesn't have that raw pace necessary to benefit from them. Its always needing to be him trying to get on the end of them because no-one else seems to. We've got some good goals from those moves e.g. Kuyts against man u, but we need more intellegent wingers who will anticipate the flick on and be already making that run in anticipation rather than moving while carrolls meeting the ball in the air.

I think Kenneth can turn it around, I hope he does, I admire his love of Liverpool and love his interviews..

How many players do you lot need in the summer?

Personally i think we need to look at more than just signings.

We still have Aquilani, Cole, Pacheco and others on the books. I'd keep Aquilani and Pacheco and probably sell Cole. I like him but question whether he's got the legs to play wide for us.

We need a back-up DM, Lucas absence was a massive wake up call and showed that Spearing isn't a DM. He's done well this season but not as well as necessary and i feel its because he simply isn't a DM, he can partner one, he was great alongside Lucas last season as the link between the midfield and the attack.

The wings depend on Maxi and Kuyt. If we managed to keep both we wouldn't need too much for the wings imo. With Them 2, Bellamy, Pacheco being back, Suarez out wide, and sterling getting increased game time we would just need someone who offers something different. None of those options excluding Bellamy (taking into account his knee problems) really offers that real flat out pace, we don't have enough pace in our side. I can't name a front four that can really break away in a counter with a lot of pace. If they left i'd bring in 2 new wingers one for each side

AM, I would use Aquilani and Gerrard, We have others who can play there but with Gerrard constant injury concerns Aquilani is the next best thing we have imo. Theres a few AM's out there i'd love us to sign but it all depends on Kennys formation choice at the end of the day. We haven't really used an AM this season for the most part which has been disappointing

Upfront, we needed another striker this season and obviously still do. Someone like De Jong would be perfect, still young and developing well, could come into the side and get goals and link up with players we already have.

The defence is fine but we NEED to bring back Xavi Valero, Pepe hasn't been the same since he went and this seasons been his worst by a distance.

Then there's the issue of carragher, i don't think he's good enough anymore but i've got way too much to say on the matter. Going into a season with Agger and Skrtel as first choice then Carra next in the pecking order leaves me uneasy. Coates i have alot of faith in, he's been a great signing so far but he doesn't get enough game time.

Could argue we could do with another LB to prevent another Insua situation emerging (this time concerning robinson) should something happen to Enrique but we have many others who can fill in there.

• Upvote 1

cant edit my post but meant to add in...

ST... Eccleston has impressed this season in the reserve side and i think he deserves a chance, hopefully he'll be included pre season.

CB... We still have Wilson but i haven't seen enough of him to say whether he's ready or not and more to the point whether he's good enough full stop. There's a couple of youngsters in the same boat (Wisdom and Sama), good and impress often but are they ready/good enough ?

LB... Still feel letting Mavinga go was a mistake

There's a number of reserves that are pushing for first team places and training with the first team but again its a are they good enough and are they ready scenario.

Sterling is the standout. He's more than ready and got his reward for his performances with some first team games. Fully expect him to get more of them next season.

Suso is technically brilliant and has improved so fast. He works alot harder now and knows how to pressure intellegently, still has some flaws he can work on but overall he's impressing alot. Looks much better at RM than where he started (AM).

Teixeira is apparently at a very high level (only seen him play twice myself in the sporting NG games) but he's been injured all season.

I don't personally buy into the Coady hype but he's rated well within the club apparently.

Adorjan is the dark horse of our reserve side and not many outside our fans seem to know about him, alongside Sterling and Suso i think he's what the first team need most but he will have a hard time breaking through at the moment, i'd like to see him go out on loan, would suit the Eredivisie

• Upvote 1

Splash this team with abit of flair and you might be on to a winner.

Gerard looks so immobile, definitely on the decline. Needs to adjust his game now accordingly imo

Shelvey looks a player but that Spearing/Sneijder fella isn't cutting it

Splash this team with abit of flair and you might be on to a winner.

Gerard looks so immobile, definitely on the decline. Needs to adjust his game now accordingly imo

Shelvey looks a player but that Spearing/Sneijder fella isn't cutting it

That's a big problem, we got rid of a lot of the flair from the side, other than Suarez i can't think of many who will do something out of the ordinary.

Gerrard shouldn't EVER be at CM. Why he is still used there is beyond me, put him at AM every game he plays and his performances will be better. Another one of my gripes with Kenny, i have no idea what he sees when Gerrard plays CM.

Shelvey's quality and should have payed more. Spearing is still a good player but if we bring in at least one CM either him or Adam are the ones i would sell first to make space.

Its annoying the two signings that have disappointed me most this season are the ones that seem to be the ones we are least likely to sell. Adam and Downing

This summer was already a big one for us but it's just quadrupled in significance.

FSG have got to make the right appointment here because they've got rid of the only man who was capable of uniting the fan base and somebody who is Liverpool FC to a lot of people.

the next man in charge is going to be under pressure to hit the ground running, they can't f*ck this up.

Sometimes you gotta take 1 step back to take 5 forward

Right move

I'm not sure man, alot depends on who is brought in to replace him. I fear this could be another from rafa to roy scenario, obviously not exactly the same and im not saying Kenny and Rafa are the same but you get the idea.

I'd LOVE to see us bring back Rafa, with the kind of backing Kenny had from FSG in the last window Rafa would bring in some sick signings IMO. I'd love to see us go back to bringing in the kind of big money signings he made. The only 2 people ever are able to draw for as a criticism 1 was not even his signing and the other played sick for us whenever he had the opportunity to play, his main issue was the injuries.

I'm not on this chop and change managers every season sh*t. Again a lot depends on who they intend to bring in but they're still relatively new to football, i'm praying they aren't looking at this as 'this team plays good football and their manager has them overachieving with a lot less money than we would allow him to spend'.

Personally, i'm not sure who's available at the moment and who would come to us from their current club but the replacement needs to be sick or they're gonna be regretting it for a long long time. The club took a massive hit when Rafa was sacked and its still funny how alot of his work is now being realised by so many but they fail to give him credit. I personally am disappointed and the way its rumoured to be headed we are shooting ourselves in the foot multiple times, but i'll wait to see how it pans out before condemning them entirely

The owners may not realise it but the next manager is under IMMENSE pressure, he's got to come in and make significant moves (in AND out) in the transfer window around an international tournament (2 if your counting the players from sides participating in the olympics), get his own system in place and set-up his own strategies getting the players used to them and have it implemented rapidly enough that we don't fall further off the pace. We have more to lose this season than we did the one just gone, and we have more games being in an extra competition. Their appointment needs to be spot on