The Official Liverpool FC Thread

The Infamous

jheeeze good news that

:Y: on the avi

/

reina would be a huge loss. I want Neur from Schalke. Only other world class potential out there and he is young he will be around for a few years before he f*cks off.

pepe has been a hero since he signed and the day he leaves would be a sad day...if he went to united however i would disown him like I did El Ninny. Infact he would be worse much much much worse. Utd would have arguably the best keeper in the world and honestly he would get the plaudits he deserves at a club like the scum. i have respect for him though i hope he f*cks off to spain or something.

Guest THEREALTULSE

Something beauitful about Dalgliesh at Liverpool, his cheeky smile and character is so infectious and definatly has the team back together.

If I had to choose to play for a club it would either be Liverpool or West Ham, proper families.

Steve Clarke is having a magnificent impact!

On Sunday, Manchester United are at Anfield. Against the Red Devils, face to face with Liverpool’s demons, Raul Meireles will need his dragon.

He knows it, too. His eyes are wide, his tone disbelieving, when he discusses the intensity, the sheer, relentless physicality which pervades the Premier League. “The kicks here,” he exclaims. “Ooph. The game never stops. Everything is a battle.”

Never more so than against United; never more so than when United must be defeated if Liverpool are to have any hope at all of remaining even the joint most titled club in England. Reason to be afraid? Reason to think he has no taste for a third encounter with Sir Alex Ferguson’s side this season? No. A laugh. “It is very good. I like it. This is England. It is unbelievable.”

It is a word that crops up often in 45 minutes in Meireles’s company on a sunny spring afternoon at Melwood, Liverpool’s tranquil training complex. He is relaxed, engaging, his English fluent enough to showcase his rapid-fire wit. His sentences are short, staccato. He receives an idea, releases a retort. He is as economical with words as he is with possession. And he is positive. Always, breathlessly positive.

The Porto team where he made his name? “Lucho Gonzalez, Lisandro Lopez. Unbelievable.” Andre Villas-Boas, the coach at the club he departed last summer for Anfield for £11.7 million? “I only worked one month with him. Unbelievable. He is like Steve Clarke, since he came here. Wow.”

His delight is not restricted to his former club. Rui Bento, his hero, was unbelievable. Steven Gerrard, his captain, likewise. Kenny Dalglish’s return, too, to replace Roy Hodgson. “The fans had stopped believing in the team. Now, with Kenny, they sing his song 10 times every game.” Believable? No. “Unbelievable.”

So too the goal that first catapulted him into the country’s consciousness, that volley at Molineux. “After the game, I went home, straight on to the internet and watched it 20 times. But it was a lucky goal.”

Another recurring theme. “I am a lucky guy,” he says, when discussing team-mates past and present. “I played with Vitor Baia at Porto. He won more titles than any player in history.” He will not, though, be drawn on who is the best he has played alongside. “Too difficult. Sorry. Lucho. Cristiano Ronaldo. Lisandro. But I like Stevie [Gerrard].”

Conscious of his own good fortune, capable of drawing pleasure from all he has achieved. Meireles is a reservoir of positivity. His first few months in England, though, must nearly have drained it.

His transfer, he freely admits, was “a dream”. “I always dreamed of playing in the Premier League,” he says. “But for a top club. Maybe a middle club. To play in Liverpool, it is fantastic.

The supporters. Wow. I want to win every game because they deserve it.”

Especially after what they, and he, went through earlier this season. By October, Meireles, pursued for the last three years by Internazionale, Sevilla and Marseille, found himself in a side sitting 18th in the league.

He is adamant Liverpool’s ostracism from the Champions League did not negatively impact his view of the club. “When Liverpool make you an offer, there is only one answer,” he insists. “When my agent told me it was a possibility, I said I go now. Now.”

Nor, more surprisingly, did the relegation battle he found himself embroiled in. There are no regrets.

“Did I expect it? No. Never in my life. Never,” he says. “But I enjoy things more now. In Portugal, at my first club Boavista, I had to fight and fight to be in a good position. Then at Porto, we played so well, we had the best players in the best team. I won 10 titles. Then I came here, and we had this season.”

Meireles, playing out of his homeland for the first time, might have found his expectations confounded, his ambitions realigned to fit Liverpool’s new reality, but while his surrounds were unfamiliar, his club’s plight was less strange.

His ability to connect with a dropping ball would not suggest it, but perhaps Meireles does not have the greatest sense of timing. A boyhood fan of their great rivals Boavista – “I hated Porto” – he crossed the Douro in 2004. The summer after Jose Mourinho won the Champions League, left for Chelsea and took a raft of players with him.

“It is hard to lose a figure like him,” he says. “That year, my first at Porto, we won nothing. We had three coaches. But that is normal when you have had two fantastic years, winning everything. It is difficult to build a new team. But the second year was perfect.

“It is like Liverpool. This is a difficult year. New coach, new players. But I think next year we will have more chance to fight for better places. It takes time to be perfect.”

Hodgson, summarily dismissed by Fenway Sports Group, the club’s owners, in January was never afforded that time. Meireles will not speak ill of him – “He brought me here. I like him. I need to thank him” – but will acknowledge that Dalglish’s more aesthetic style suits him better.

That is hardly a surprise. Meireles, muscular but slight, is not built for combat, but for grace. “In Portugal, we say it is better to be small and good, than big and bad,” he says. United should not expect him to shrink away from challenges today. “Sometimes you need to tackle. “But it is more how you read the game.”

And it helps when you have a dragon on your shoulder. Offering protection.

Special shout out needs to be given to Glen Johnson, notable improvement in his defensive play since Clarke has arrived, and played LB without fuss.

Suarez looks like he is gonna be SPECIAL! Determination, skill, agility. Ahh hope him and Carroll can link up well.

Kuyt = top CF play today, winning fouls, 3 poachers goals. :Y:

Guest THEREALTULSE

Something beauitful about Dalgliesh at Liverpool, his cheeky smile and character is so infectious and definatly has the team back together.

If I had to choose to play for a club it would either be Liverpool or West Ham, proper families.

Safe KARMA.

Love it.

ta the big fella upstairs.

I did not expect that today from Kuyt, when i heard the lineup i was worried about Kuyt up top with Suarez off him however he proved me wrong with 3 goals today.

We bossed most of the game today, Lucas and Gerrard played very good, Suarez was magical, Glen made no mistakes.

Were on the up :Y:

Full credit to Kuyt, he's actually played very well upfront recently. Compared to how he usually drops back tonnes when he's upfront and ends up being behind the ball when we counter, he looks so different upfront now. Kennys got him playing well up there. The anticipation and reaction for the third goal was class, he's always the first to react when our freekicks are saved

Lucas and Gerrard were both sick today, Gerrard played alot more disciplined than usual and still attacked well. Meireles made some great attacking runs and the clearances off the line are becoming crucial.

Suraez... immense performance, his turns are so quick and he's great at keeping the ball in tough situations. Great at drawing players in then shifting the ball past them before they can nick it away. Was good to see a few times today he just made the player commit then knocked it past and ran round the other side. 4 games, 1 goal & 3? assists. Hilarious watching back Merson talking about how Suarvez as he calls him, wouldnt be good enough to have a big impact if he started and carroll didnt.

Great to see Carroll make his debut today aswell. Hopefully he can get his first start against Braga on thursday.

Pissed for Aurelio, cant seem to get any luck and steer clear of injuries. Started the game brightly aswell, hope his injury is a minor one, we need him with Kelly already out injured really

shame we conceded but didnt mean much in the end tbh.

If the Premier League had started on New Year's Day, Liverpool would be 3rd, two pts behind Man Utd & one behind Arsenal. Augmented.

How many more stats do we need to show that Hodgson wasted a whole summer and 4 months being our f*ck*ng manager.

*disclaimer: this isn't to mean I think we could've won the league if Kenny was manager from day dot, just a lot of people who said Hodgson was left with an utterly piss poor team were full of media hype. And their comments about Kenny being Keegan-esque utterly laughable*

• Upvote 2

If the Premier League had started on New Year's Day, Liverpool would be 3rd, two pts behind Man Utd & one behind Arsenal. Augmented.

How many more stats do we need to show that Hodgson wasted a whole summer and 4 months being our f*ck*ng manager.

*disclaimer: this isn't to mean I think we could've won the league if Kenny was manager from day dot, just a lot of people who said Hodgson was left with an utterly piss poor team were full of media hype. And their comments about Kenny being Keegan-esque utterly laughable*

i've given up with the people who tried claiming hodgson did all he could with the players he had

he made excuse after excuse and so much of his tactics were absolute shite. Meireles on the right wing :/ no Agger :/ and so much more.

lol I saw an article about Hodgson today and couldn't help but laugh at how delusional he is.

He was basically saying that we were unlucky whilst he was in charge and that he's happy we're now getting that bit of luck under Kenny.

Guys a fool, his interviews have me face-palming the whole way through. about unlucky smh

funny how this 'luck' has magically coincided with us actually keeping the ball on the floor, having a good tactical set-up, the best players being played together and people being played in positions that suit them best.

Hate the way alot of the media seem to pin Lucas good form to roy aswell asif he suddenly made his mark under roy and roy changed him somehow. Being doing the same thing for some time now and has been gradually improving well. Frustrating to think what may have been if we never employed roy as manager.

It's clear to see (more now) Roy took the job just to have LFC on his CV. He was on a high, the Fulham thing had him gassed to the point he thought he could handle our club.

No the fact that Liverpool weren't doing too well, and he was offered the job made him think he could handle it.

not really a job he could say no to is it.

• Upvote 1

tumblr_lhnm3xv6DI1qesurd.gif

191002_133516233385176_129509713785828_194379_3077703_o.jpg

Hola a tod@s,

Gran victoria contra el Man Utd!!! Me alegro mucho por mi amigo Dirk y por los aficionados que un dia mas han estado de 10!!

Gracias a todos por vuestro apoyo.

Hi to all!

Great win against Man Utd! I'm happy for my friend Dirk and the fans that again have been perfect supporting the team!!!!

Thank you all for your support.

Hope our owners buy big in the summer and he stays!

• Upvote 1