The Gym Topic

Flojo

I'm weakkkkk!

Went back to the gym in July after years out with a slipped disc which has been causing me endless problems. Finally at a stage where I can hit the gym and strengthen, looking to put on a bit of weight and gain some muscle but firstly strength.

I'm 6'2, 160 lbs.

Was gymming through July and this is where I was at, at the end of July.

Squat - 85kg

Bench - 80 kg

Deadlift - 100kg

Barbell Rows - 60kg

Overhead Press - 50kg

Then I took a month off for Ramadhan.

Went back yesterday and I've dropped 10-15 kg on each exercise.

But now I've got 11 months to increase my strength, muscles and cut a bit of body fat but I'm cautious since I blew my back out cos it took me so long to recover.

Any tips or motivation for me? Although I like to think I'm quite motivated I feel quite weak. I've got more upper body strength than lower body strengh so I'm working on lower body a lot more, but my lats are weak cos I can't do pull ups for shit.

My tris and shoulders need some work as well cos I feel my tris give out first when benching and the Overhead press is the exercise I probably hate the most cos I cant lift much and my shoulders feel weak but I continue to do it, otherwise I won't get stronger.

Some people say I'm mad for squatting and deadlifting after my back has caused me so many problems but I've been working hard to get my form as near perfect as possible to minimise any risk of injury. In all honesty the strengthening is needed and I've seen a significant difference with my back getting better and better the more I train.

Anyway, Ideally for my height and weight what would you say about what the weights I'm doing and where should I be say in 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and then by start of next Ramadhan?

your squat is the same as my girlfriends, not saying that to be a c*nt especially as your coming back from injury but it is what it is.

basically you need to gain weight. increase your calories, your lifts should improve dramatically

i used to hate overhead press as well, nowadays its one of my favourites because i just carried on grinding away at it until i was decent. do it standing, clean the weight from the floor, try using a thumbless grip as well.

to improve your triceps and your bench trade extensions and pull downs for rack lockouts/pin presses and close-grip bench. Also floor presses

focus on the movements you've listed. look into ghr's, back raises/extensions, and cable pull thrus to help strengthen ur posterior chain. also regular heavy (as in weight not volume) ab work really does wonders for developing ur squat and DL and preventing you from getting crushed.

also keep grinding at the pull ups until u can bang them out

anyway props for continuing to squat and DL. many guys who post here, havent had the misfortune of getting hurt like u, still dont have the minerals to put a bar on their back.

eat more is my main advice to u tbh.

• Upvote 1

Went with my friend to the gym on Saturday. I have evidently never done legs properly because I am struggling to walk upa nd down stairs, bend my legs and such. On a positive note, having someone to spot you and keep you motivated helps alot. Lifted more than I actually thought I was initially capable of lifting and squatting. Also need to find a better gym because the one I go to is complete and utter garbage.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question people.

Is it normal for your triceps to be significantly weaker than your biceps? I ask because fair enough I have only been going gym properly for a month (where I have very strict routines and times to attend unlike in the past), but I'm seeing some strength gains, but the gains are quicker for other parts of my body but not my triceps. I feel like it is a lot slower. I have to lift weights a lot lighter and feel like an increase in strength takes ages. Make no mistake, there is a increase, but just not much.

Am I on my own here and do I need to just push even harder than I am, or is it a normal thing?

triceps are normally stronger than ur biceps, they get much bigger as well, maybe ur triceps are already developed so u feel like they're not growing as quick but really it's ur biceps playing catch up? what exercises do you do with them and how much do u lift?

Nah, my triceps are definitely not as strong as my biceps.

I do tricep dips, skull crushers 20kg I think (not sure how much the ez curl bar weighs in my gym) and today I felt like I didn't do them properly but it was at the end of my set and my arms were knackered by then, tricep pulldowns 18kg and when I try to do tricep extension with one arm I can only seem to do 8kg and with that reaching 10 reps for 3 sets is tough.

Been off gym for a while and lost a lot of weight so feel like I'm starting from ground up again seeing as I have to lift really light with them.

Think I'm going to do tricep extensions behind the head with both hands instead of the one arm dumbell extension. Really, that's the only one that feels like it is lacking and reading a random thread on it it seems it also becomes a balancing act rather than just about strength.

• 4 weeks later...

my right arm has suddenly exploded in size and strength compared to my left (i'm left handed as well) all of a sudden it's got noticeably stronger and it's also got so much bigger that i've got a massive stretch mark down the middle of it, dunno wtf is going on. there's no stretch marks on my left, gonna have to concentrate on working my left one extra hard now to catch up

my right arm has suddenly exploded in size and strength compared to my left (i'm left handed as well) all of a sudden it's got noticeably stronger and it's also got so much bigger that i've got a massive stretch mark down the middle of it, dunno wtf is going on. there's no stretch marks on my left, gonna have to concentrate on working my left one extra hard now to catch up

Stop wanking with your right hand.

Stop wanking with your right hand.

lol, i'm left handed mate, and no i'm not doing that "wank with the other hand so it feels like someone else is doing it" thing either.