THE SMARTPHONE THREAD

Lenny

I'm more interested in this

meegologogm.jpg

MeeGo: Nokia and Intel merge Maemo and Moblin

Well this one is a... doozy? Today Nokia announced a rather bizarre partnership with Intel. Namely, the two companies are merging their odd, half-finished, Linux-based OSs into one crazy little package called... MeeGo. No, really. Intel is mixing its peanut butter Moblin with Nokia's chocolatey Maemo to create a "software platform that will support multiple hardware architectures across the broadest range of device segments, including pocketable mobile computers, netbooks, tablets, mediaphones, connected TVs and in-vehicle infotainment systems." That broad enough for you? According to the company's press release, the new platform will begin baring fruit (AKA devices) later this year, though the specific types of devices weren't touched upon. Nokia's CEO, Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo claims that the union will "create an ecosystem that is second to none" through openness, though at this point it's largely bluster. Why the two monoliths have decided to pair up on these decidedly niche platforms rather than focusing energies on their front and center products is anyone's guess, but luckily you can attempt to decipher more detail in the PR, included for your convenience after the break!

• Global leaders Intel Corporation and Nokia merge Moblin and Maemo to create MeeGo*, a Linux-based software platform that will support multiple hardware architectures across the broadest range of device segments, including pocketable mobile computers, netbooks, tablets, mediaphones, connected TVs and in-vehicle infotainment systems.

• MeeGo offers the Qt application development environment, and builds on the Moblin core operating system and reference user experiences. Using Qt, developers can write once to create applications for a variety of devices and platforms, and market them through Nokia's Ovi Store and Intel AppUpSM Center.

• MeeGo will be hosted by the Linux Foundation and governed using the best practices of the open source development model. The first release of MeeGo is expected in the second quarter of 2010 with devices launching later in the year.

• Nokia and Intel expect MeeGo to be adopted widely by global device manufacturers, network operators, semiconductor companies, software vendors and developers.

i think someone mentioned maemo going obsolete in a thread, think it was this one...

hopefully they'll release Meego for the N900, to be honest, it's linux and open so it will get done easily i'm guessing

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/meego-nokia-and-intel-merge-maemo-and-moblin/?s=t5

Windows Mobile 7 >

MS went in, theres video footage on engadget if you guys want to see the OS

It was only a matter of time before MS intergrated Zune & Xbox live into there mobile phone platform. Looks very impressive tbh. A proper alternative to the iphone this could be

• 2 weeks later...

putting pokemon, fire emblem, etc. on my phone now

BOOYAH!

n900 is fully ridiculous, it is faster than the computer i'm currently using

i'm probably still in the honeymoon period but

n900>>>>>>>hd2>>>>>iphone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>________

Just copped this. Do you know where I can download apps/games etc from?