Almunia, Van Persie, Denilson miss Liege trip

Francis Coquelin

Vito Mannone or Wojciech Szczesny will make their Champions League debut on Wednesday night after Manuel Almunia was ruled out of Arsenal's clash with Standard Liege.The Spanish goalkeeper is suffering from a chest infection and has not travelled to Belgium. Neither have Robin van Persie and Denilson, both of whom sustained injuries during Saturday's 4-2 defeat at Manchester City. However they have a chance of returning for this weekend's Premier League clash with Wigan."Manuel Almunia is sick so he will not be with us," revealed Wenger before flying out with his 18-man squad."From Saturday we lost Robin van Persie with a knee problem but it is a question of days for him [until he is fit]. As for Denilson, I took him off on Saturday for a back problem. It is a question of days again for him."Theo Walcott will not return for the group stage opener but Sanchez Watt has been named in the squad. The 18-year-old forward impressed at the Emirates Cup in August and could make his competitive debut on Wednesday.Arsenal are still without Samir Nasri (leg), Andrey Arshavin (groin), Lukasz Fabianski, Johan Djourou (both knee) and Carlos Vela (ankle).Arsenal squad:Vito MannoneWojciech SzczesnyBacary SagnaGael ClichyWilliam GallasThomas VermaelenMikael SilvestreKieran GibbsEmmanuel EboueAlex SongCesc FabregasAbou DiabyAaron RamseyTomas RosickyJack WilshereNicklas BendtnerEduardoSanchez WattWatt ahead of Barazite in the pecking order?He must be pretty pissed off.

Even if we lose I'm happy (I'm not really but you know), cos that c*nt been dropped, just Mannone dodgy and Szeschny is too young to be thrown in altho I think he the better prospect...I didnt think Barazite was fit, but he played for the reserves the other night so he must be. Neither would/will get on anyway.

Guest Tulse Hill
they are a decent side thoe
Someone pink this guy....Porto are a decent champions league teamStandard Liege are a poor champions league teamOne player you've seen play once don't make them a decent team.Jesus, never come across someone as fickle as you before

Guest Tulse Hill
But I didnt say "a decent champions league team" did I Sherlock
What are they playing in tomorow mate?Wait so ur saying they change quallity depending on what tournament they play in?Wait...

You have to be a decent enough team to qualify and make it through to the Champions League group stages don't you think Sherlock??But the Champions League is a different ball game compared to the Belgium league, do you agree Sherlock??As seen in previous seasons a decent team who competes in their respective league turns into a poor Champions League team and fails to make it past the group stages, am I right Sherlock??