Is it time to ban small cars?

streets.

I understand that everyone has different budgets, and I think that cars like the Ford Fiesta is a decent, affordable safe car.My problem is with these new batch of "Plastic" cars that are being produced cheaply with little or no safety features. The main two offenders areToyota Yaristoyota_yaris.jpgSmart Carsmart-car.jpgEver since these cars came out, I have heard countless stories in both the news and from people on ends who have died in these cars from crashes that werent major accident (e.g. A boy crashed at 30mph in a smart car in Lewisham and him and his bredern were killed instantly). I have even seen this sorta first hand, when a Yaris reversed into me at about 15mph and it's whole bumper was written off while my Golf just needed 1 dab of T-cut.There's been 2 stories in the news recently and it's no suprise that both of them involve the Yaris. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2...15875-21674844/http://www.teletext.co.uk/regionalnews/nor...s+in+crash.aspxI know that accidents happen in all types of cars, but if you ask me all these small plastic cars are 10x more dangerous, no matter how many "safety ratings" they have.So, is it time to ban small cars?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I totalled this car two days after I passed my test.I crashed at between 12 and 15 mph.Airbag didn't even deploy, that's how slow I was going. The entire front end was crushed, like one big crumple zone.The nissan micra I went into the back of sustained no damage apart from a slightly cracked rear bumper.I dread to think what would have happened to my mum (who used that car to get to work on a 60mph road.20070122202859!Daewoo_Matiz.jpg

Ever since these cars came out, I have heard countless stories in both the news and from people on ends who have died in these cars from crashes that werent major accident (e.g. A boy crashed at 30mph in a smart car in Lewisham and him and his bredern were killed instantly). I have even seen this sorta first hand, when a Yaris reversed into me at about 15mph and it's whole bumper was written off while my Golf just needed 1 dab of T-cut.There's been 2 stories in the news recently and it's no suprise that both of them involve the Yaris. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2...15875-21674844/http://www.teletext.co.uk/regionalnews/nor...s+in+crash.aspxI know that accidents happen in all types of cars, but if you ask me all these small plastic cars are 10x more dangerous, no matter how many "safety ratings" they have.So, is it time to ban small cars?
not sending, but this is a pretty silly solution. the first link is a bout a drunk chick, so is clearly human error. the second link is about a head on collision on a motorway, which if u think of it must be human error.the one about the 2 boys doin 30 mph and instantly died, sad as it is, may not b true. they both died, so how we know they were doin 30?i'm not stickin up for the cars, but there's no car that will keep a driver 100% if they aren't driving with attention and a firmly screwed on head. so why should you make cars more unatainable for people on the lower end of the market.

The first link is a bout a drunk chick, so is clearly human error. the second link is about a head on collision on a motorway, which if u think of it must be human error.the one about the 2 boys doin 30 mph and instantly died, sad as it is, may not b true. they both died, so how we know they were doin 30?i'm not stickin up for the cars, but there's no car that will keep a driver 100% if they aren't driving with attention and a firmly screwed on head. so why should you make cars more unatainable for people on the lower end of the market.
What matters, is that when there is human error the car is built well enough to limit the damage to those inside. Same way the British Army are begging for stronger vehicles because their Snatch Landrovers are getting destroyed too easily by roadside bombs. Getting stronger vehicles will not solve the problem, but will limit damage done when those errors are made.As for the boys dying at 30mph, read below - this is a common problem.
I totalled this car two days after I passed my test.I crashed at between 12 and 15 mph.Airbag didn't even deploy, that's how slow I was going. The entire front end was crushed, like one big crumple zone.The nissan micra I went into the back of sustained no damage apart from a slightly cracked rear bumper.I dread to think what would have happened to my mum (who used that car to get to work on a 60mph road.250px-Daewoo_Matiz.jpg

i can understand that happening in the car above, smart car not as comprehensible. not singing praises but safety has improved from the time both cars were manufactured.I understand what you're saying but death rate or severe injury's in the mentioned cars are still not majorly high when in minor accidents, but of course anything to increase safety is a step in the right direction.but to put a ban on them is over the top. also this could really b a f*ck up to the economy, seein as the new car market would be even less accessible to people.

Well going by that logic, why don't we all drive armoured vehicles and tanks? That way no one will ever get hurt.
:lol:i read somewhere that the most dangerous ones are those that are too rigid[/b/]. if you crash into one, its like hitting a wall - 1 car crumples and absorbs the impact of the other