Restaurant Etiquette: How many of you follow it to a tee?

General Mac

Napkins: In a restaurant:As soon as you are seated, remove the napkin from your place setting, unfold it, and put it in your lap. Do not shake it open. At some very formal restaurants, the waiter may do this for the diners, but it is not inappropriate to place your own napkin in your lap, even when this is the case.The napkin rests on the lap till the end of the meal. Don't clean the cutlery or wipe your face with the napkin. NEVER use it to wipe your nose!If you excuse yourself from the table, loosely fold the napkin and place it to the left or right of your plate. Do not refold your napkin or wad it up on the table either. Never place your napkin on your chair.At the end of the meal, leave the napkin semi-folded at the left side of the place setting. It should not be crumpled or twisted; nor should it be folded. The napkin must also not be left on the chair.At a private dinner party:The meal begins when the host or hostess unfolds his or her napkin. This is your signal to do the same. Place your napkin on your lap, completely unfolded if it is a small luncheon napkin or in half, lengthwise, if it is a large dinner napkin. Do not shake it open.The napkin rests on the lap till the end of the meal. Place the napkin in loose folds to the left of your plate.The host will signal the end of the meal by placing his or her napkin on the table. Once the meal is over, you too should place your napkin neatly on the table to the left of your dinner plate. (Do not refold your napkin, but don't wad it up, either.)When to eat: In a restaurant: Wait until all are served before beginning to eat.At a private dinner party:When your host or hostess picks up their fork to eat, then you may eat. Do not start before this unless the host or hostess insists that you start eating.

General Etiquette Rules:*Arrive at least 10 minutes early unless otherwise specified.*Pass food from the left to the right.*Always say please when asking for something. Be sure to say thank you to your server and bus boy after they have removed any used items.*If asked for the salt or pepper, pass both together, even if a table mate asks for only one of them. This is so dinner guests won't have to search for orphaned shakers.Set any passed item, whether it's the salt and pepper shakers, a bread basket, or a butter plate, directly on the table instead of passing hand-to-hand.Never intercept a pass. Snagging a roll out of the breadbasket or taking a shake of salt when it is en route to someone else is a no-no.*Food is served from the left. Dishes are removed from the right.*Butter, spreads, or dips should be transferred from the serving dish to your plate before spreading or eating.*Never turn a wine glass upside down to decline wine. It is more polite to let the wine be poured and not draw attention. Otherwise, hold your hand over the wine glass to signal that you don't want any wine.*Always scoop food away from you.*Taste your food before seasoning it.*Do try a little of everything on your plate.*Don't blow on your food to cool it off. If it is too hot to eat, take the hint and wait.*Keep elbows off the table. Keep your left hand in your lap unless you are using it.*Do not talk with your mouth full. Chew with your mouth closed.*Cut only enough food for the next mouthful. Eat in small bites and slowly.*Don't clean up spills with your own napkin and don't touch items that have dropped on the floor. You can use your napkin to protect yourself from spills. Then, simply and politely ask your server to clean up and to bring you a replacement for the soiled napkin or dirty utensil.*Do not blow your nose at the dinner table. Excuse yourself to visit the restroom. Wash your hands before returning to the dining room. If you cough, cover your mouth with your napkin to stop the spread of germs and muffle the noise. If your cough becomes unmanageable, excuse yourself to visit the restroom. Wash your hands before returning to the dining room.*Turn off your cell phone or switch it to silent or vibrate mode before sitting down to eat, and leave it in your pocket or purse. It is impolite to answer a phone during dinner. If you must make or take a call, excuse yourself from the table and step outside of the restaurant.*Do not use a toothpick or apply makeup at the table.*Whenever a woman leaves the table or returns to sit, all men seated with her should stand up.*Do not push your dishes away from you or stack them for the waiter when you are finished. Leave plates and glasses where they are.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You paid £400 for something like that? Okay, you were obviously over exaggerating, but did you pay like £40 for something like that? 'cause I would have asked to see the cook then thrown the food in his face if I saw that on my plate.The most expensive restaurant I can recall going to was some Indian restaurant in town called Chor Bizarre, thing is this was the best tasting Indian food I'd ever tasted, it was better than authentic Indian food you'd probably get made going to an Indian friend's house or even an Indian celebration... like this sh*t was the sh*t, only problem was the size of the portions, you'd probably leave there hungry after spending £200 for 4 of you, but you can taste that it's worth it.However...if any of you've ever been you'll know why I'm saying this but Pakistani >>>> Indian food, even though you're getting exactly the same dish, but go to New Tayyabs in Whitechapel (should be open now, they closed for Ramadan) , go here and you will get some nice ass food, so much better than what you'd get anywhere else, and the price is good.

Whenever a woman leaves the table or returns to sit, all men seated with her should stand up.
LOL stfuAlot of them are basic manners to be honest, but alot of them are also just antiquated rules.Simply having basic manners, and being polite will suffice.I feel incredibly embarassed when I'm with people and they don't thank the waiter when plates are removed, or put down, or when drinks arrive etc. I always make a point of being polite wherever I am. It's just arrogance.The only venues that I imagine would care are the top class restaurants. And if you can afford to go to them, you can afford to be a pretentious prick.

Whenever a woman leaves the table or returns to sit, all men seated with her should stand up.
LOL stfuAlot of them are basic manners to be honest, but alot of them are also just antiquated rules.Simply having basic manners, and being polite will suffice.I feel incredibly embarassed when I'm with people and they don't thank the waiter when plates are removed, or put down, or when drinks arrive etc. I always make a point of being polite wherever I am. It's just arrogance.The only venues that I imagine would care are the top class restaurants. And if you can afford to go to them, you can afford to be a pretentious prick.
I'm going to Cairns in a few months....Wanna meet up???? Beers on Me + I know bitches there

i do put the napkin on my lap, but if my hands get dirty, i will wipe them on it at the end of the meal wtfloooool at cutting only enough for the next mouth, il be stabbing that sh*t getting all up in that bitch that i paid for how u meanLooooooL at tasting before 'seasoning' naaaar nehggar i dont need to taste that deprived looking meat to know what the deal isDont care if its brunch at Buckingham palace im banging on the ketchup, salt, pepper, chilli likesay this is any NandosMost of the other stuff is a given, but if i aint feeling the food or people at the table too tuff, u will catch my elbows on it for majority of the meal, boredoma*AND i always stack my plate and the persons next to me for the waitorIts easier for them and theres no faffing around above my head

Guest Esquilax

The only ones you should really be abiding by are the basics, thank the waiters for waiting on you, it's just polite. NEVER, EVER CHEW WITH YOUR MOUTH OPEN. THE SOUND OF THIS SQUELCHY MESS WILL SEND ME INTO A RAGE COMA. Know how to use your cutlery, that's a must. I don't really care for the elbows off the table rule, it makes no sense. And if you're in a restaurant with a group, keep it the f*ck down, jesus.

Guest Lisa Turtle
The only ones you should really be abiding by are the basics, thank the waiters for waiting on you, it's just polite. NEVER, EVER CHEW WITH YOUR MOUTH OPEN. THE SOUND OF THIS SQUELCHY MESS WILL SEND ME INTO A RAGE COMA. Know how to use your cutlery, that's a must. I don't really care for the elbows off the table rule, it makes no sense. And if you're in a restaurant with a group, keep it the f*ck down, jesus.
Basically.Some wrong un's out there.

I beg you stop using Jesus's name in that way.Not even looking for a witty response I am being genuine.Would appreciate.

Guest Esquilax
I beg you stop using Jesus's name in that way.Not even looking for a witty response I am being genuine.Would appreciate.
*looks at gamerscore*LOL!Another thing I hate is when people don't put their cutlery together when they've finished. This ain't a scrap metal yard ffs.

I was in a restaurant the other day with some chick, her man walked in, he started complaning and sh*t. I took him buy the wrists, cut em, vertically. He was on the floor and sh*t, dying, making a scene.