XBOX live and PSN with a dongle?

FinalBawse

How to Connect to Xbox Live with a Wireless USB Dongle The wireless USB dongle is also known as a USB Modem or Mobile Broadband. This sadly can't just be put into one of the three USB ports on the Xbox 360. So what you'll need to get this to work is a computer or a laptop with a ethernet port and a ethernet cable. You should get an ethernet cable with you xbox360, its white. Without instructions, connecting to xbox live was quiet difficult to achieve in windows vista. You would think that the Xbox 360 and Vista would be easier to connect together with them both being products of Microsoft. This isn't the case. Anyway now that I've gone through the hardship of connecting to xbox live with my pc and laptop, I've written it all up for you with screenshots. When I did this I used my Amilo laptop and a '3' dongle. The dongle you use shouldn't matter, the instructions will work all the same. Please leave comments and questions using the form at the base of page. Here we go...

1. Turn on your Computer and connect to the internet with your 3G USB dongle.
  2. Turn your Microsoft Xbox 360 on and put the ethernet cable into your Laptop and 360.
  3. Now on your laptop click, Start, then Control Panel. From here open Network and Sharing Center.
  4. Within the Network and Sharing Center window click Manage Network Connections on the left. 500x375_thumb1.png
  5. A new window will open. Right click on your connection and select properties. 500x375_thumb2.png
  6. A window will open. Click on the sharing tab.
  7. Tick the box for 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's connection' and select 'Local Area Connection' for the 'Home networking connection' drop down menu. 500x375_thumb3.png
  8. Press ok in response to the diaglog boxes that appear and restart you internet connection.
  9. Now go back to the Network and Sharing Center, you should have two connections. Both should be public connections and not private. The network type is next to the network connections name in brackets. If yours is set to public your all cool to move onto the next step. If yours is private, click 'Customise' and change it. 500x375_thumb4.png
  10. The computer is now set up for a free wireless method to xbox live without having to buy the addon. To check everything is in order go over to you xbox 360 and select the 'system' blade. Its on the far right at the end.
  11. Move over to the Network Settings option and click A, the green button on your xbox controller, to select it. 500x375_thumb5.png
  12. Now move over to the Test Xbox Live Connection option and click A. 500x375_thumb6.png
  13. The console will run the tests and if all succeds you will get the image below on your tv set. 500x375_thumb7.png

If this fails go through the instructions again, you could of missed something. Its alot to take in if you know next to nothing about networking. If your still having trouble, leave a comment, or just leave a comment if your happy with the tutorial. Also please visit the google links at the bottom of the page, it helps fund the site many of them are quiet useful! Or donate :)

• 2 weeks later...

i can confirmyou can use your laptop as a wireless adaptor for your 360 using internet connection sharingso, if your router is in another room, and you have a reasonable laptop, you can use that to get on liveatm i can only join FFA games, think i need to tweak the settings, sick still

Guest Swiftie
wait a secusing a similar techniqueyou could connect your 360 to your laptop and use that to access ur wireles router (broadband not dongle)effectively using the laptop as a wireless hubinstead of buying a xbox wireless adaptoris that right?
Yes it's right in the sense that you will need to set up ICS and connect xbox via RJ45

wait a secusing a similar techniqueyou could connect your 360 to your laptop and use that to access ur wireles router (broadband not dongle)effectively using the laptop as a wireless hubinstead of buying a xbox wireless adaptoris that right?
Yes it's right in the sense that you will need to set up ICS and connect xbox via RJ45
SafeIn the end I gave it a try and managed to figure it out, pretty simple using XP.