When someone owes you money,

Bacardi_Up

One of boys (really close mate) owes me money.I am not a rich guy but he owes me just over £500 which has built up over time when he blows his cash and becomes broke. Conversely he is from a privileged background, parents are wealthy and able to buy prada this and hugo boss that.He is leaving the country for a few weeks and I told him I need 300 of the 500quid back, he said he would do it and promised me as such. However I feel he is going to take the piss and not give me the amount I requested maybe £220 or something like that.How far would you go? What would you do. He has been a close friend for 8years and I don't wanna bust up with him over money but i feel he is taking the piss.He goes out gambling and drinking all the time which just pisses me off.I know I could contact his older brother if need be and tell him that I am owed money by him and his parents and siblings would all switch at my mate for being reckless and borrowing of me (knowing that I am not from a wealthy family and all), but is that taking it too far. He went as far as to promise me £300 before he leaves and if he breaks that part of me feels if would serve him right.Am I over-reacting?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont lend money unless im prepared to lose it for goodi give it out not 100% expecting it backi feel like i shouldnt have to ask for it backif i dnt get it back, i make a serious mental notein the past, i have made 'investments', promised returns, i get no returnsi went to the youts house an took some goods an sold the goods for more money than i lent in the first placebut i wouldnt do that with a 'close firend'

why are all ur stories about you being a victimu need to grow somehow did u manage to lend this guy 5 bills and hes buying pradas and hugo boss stuffmocking ur life.
500 over the course of a year.He doesn't himself buy prada and sh*t because he is broke. His parents give him limited money and he blows it.It's not me being a victim. I lent to him when I was fine but now I need it back.He comes to me, I am alright and lend to him. But my money is decreasing after paying a grand to do a course and taking a couple of holidays on my own dime having just graduated, we work part time at the same place and said he would work extra to pay me off the requested amount but guy worked only 2 hours 2 days ago and didnt go into work today which makes me suspect that he wont be able to give me the full £300 I asked for before he leaves.I know if I told his family my money in full would be back. But I know that would be a big step to take. I dunno if that would be too far to go.

Don't let people convince you into thinking he's not your friend.He may be a fool, but I'm sure you have good enough judgment (you lent him all this P after all) to not give it to someone who wasn't tight with you.He is taking the piss though and the cause of a lot of these situations is when the victim (you) LETS IT HAPPENHe can only take advantage of you if you let him, and you should have nipped it in the bud earlier.have a word with him, tell youhim you need the money and he has been taking the piss, with any luck it should be an embarrasing, humblign convo for him and he will come through with the P.

Just take items that amount to £700-1000 and say if he wants them back he has to give you your money back. I usually confiscate watches but I don't loan out more than £20 really.
That would be easy.I mean because his parents, siblings and cousins are rich. He has tonnes of designer clothes that he has been given by them prada, gucci, hugo boss etc...

to me his actions show that he doesn't care about giving you your money backthere's no respect
c/stbh no one should ever have to ask for the money back, it should be returned, when u were told it will be returned but personally, i've got certain people i'm cool with and i tell u now i would just not lend them moneyregardless of hw fond of them i am, its in their nature to take the piss and they would have me making threats and all sortsas regards to hw far u should go, depends on hw badly u need it and whether u seriously think if u leave this boy to his own devices u won't see your money again

Just take items that amount to £700-1000 and say if he wants them back he has to give you your money back. I usually confiscate watches but I don't loan out more than £20 really.
That would be easy.I mean because his parents, siblings and cousins are rich. He has tonnes of designer clothes that he has been given by them prada, gucci, hugo boss etc...
dont take clothestake electrical goods

Don't let people convince you into thinking he's not your friend.He may be a fool, but I'm sure you have good enough judgment (you lent him all this P after all) to not give it to someone who wasn't tight with you.He is taking the piss though and the cause of a lot of these situations is when the victim (you) LETS IT HAPPENHe can only take advantage of you if you let him, and you should have nipped it in the bud earlier.have a word with him, tell youhim you need the money and he has been taking the piss, with any luck it should be an embarrasing, humblign convo for him and he will come through with the P.
Good advice.Though part of me thinks that he will think I am being unreasonable. I clearly am not. It's just with him that I am a soft touch since he is one of my oldest friends and he has only been borrowing of me over the past year.

money and friends dont mix
Not really.It depends.I have had points (like a couple of years ago) when I was flat broke and borrowed £350 of a friend. He didn't ask me what is for or anything just gave it to me. I told him I would pay him back in 1 month and I did in full even earlier than I said.I've got friends that have owed me and will just give it to me straight up no qualms if I remind them.

why are all ur stories about you being a victimu need to grow somehow did u manage to lend this guy 5 bills and hes buying pradas and hugo boss stuffmocking ur life.
500 over the course of a year.He doesn't himself buy prada and sh*t because he is broke. His parents give him limited money and he blows it.It's not me being a victim. I lent to him when I was fine but now I need it back.He comes to me, I am alright and lend to him. But my money is decreasing after paying a grand to do a course and taking a couple of holidays on my own dime having just graduated, we work part time at the same place and said he would work extra to pay me off the requested amount but guy worked only 2 hours 2 days ago and didnt go into work today which makes me suspect that he wont be able to give me the full £300 I asked for before he leaves.I know if I told his family my money in full would be back. But I know that would be a big step to take. I dunno if that would be too far to go.
so his parents give him p and he spends it on items other than paying off a debt he has with a "close friend"waste

I have a friend like this Owes all his mates money, even avoids a couple of ppl that he owes money overpoker games and sh*t. When he does have money, he buys clothes and weed. Parents are loaded but his work is irregular more like a paet time wage.I only lend him money when I can afford to give him it. He promises he will pay me back, maybe he means it, but it never happens. To me it seems a bit foolish to let him build up so much of a debt if u know what he's like.If you REALLY need to get it back, Id keep pestering him, give him guilt trips and as a last resort confiscate something he needs to show him ur serious.

money and friends dont mix
Not really.It depends.I have had points (like a couple of years ago) when I was flat broke and borrowed £350 of a friend. He didn't ask me what is for or anything just gave it to me. I told him I would pay him back in 1 month and I did in full even earlier than I said.I've got friends that have owed me and will just give it to me straight up no qualms if I remind them.
yeah true, i dont even know why i posted that tbh (lean), but it can f*ck things up

Good advice.Though part of me thinks that he will think I am being unreasonable. I clearly am not. It's just with him that I am a soft touch since he is one of my oldest friends and he has only been borrowing of me over the past year.
Your not being unreasonable, its udnerstandable you wanna come through for your boy when he needs it.