Rosicky and Merida

Francis Coquelin

Arsenal playmaker Tomas Rosicky has acknowledged that his injury problems over the last two years might have harmed his chances of getting a new contract at the Emirates.The Czech star recently returned to first-team action after 20 months out following a hamstring injury he sustained in January 2008. He made the first start since his comeback against Blackburn Rovers at the weekend, but feels that he has a lot to do to impress Arsene Wenger if he is to win a new deal.His current contract expires at the end of the season."I have spoken with Mr Wenger on this matter," the 29-year-old said, according to The Sporting Life."It is not the most current thing, though, and there are no negotiations running. Even if I haven't reached an agreement with Arsenal, I would still be able to find another club to play for in January – even though that might sound too self-confident."But there is no problem with my fitness. I think I am on the right course. The coach has gradually been applying the burden on me, and I feel it has been getting better and better."Advertisement
Arsenal teenager Fran Merida has revealed he is "pleased" to hear that Atletico Madrid have expressed an interest in him.The highly rated 19-year-old remains on the fringes at the Emirates and he has admitted that whilst he has a contract with the club until 2010, he is unsure where his future lies."Atletico are one of the best clubs in Spain and a Champions League club and I am really pleased by the interest in me," the teenager is quoted as saying by AS."This is news to make me content but I have a deal signed with Arsenal until June 2010 and I still have not decided my future."The Spaniard also revealed that he had yet to sign a long term deal with Arsenal and that he wanted to discuss the situation with the club before making any decision."I have not accepted the offer from Arsenal for five more seasons but this does not change things. I want to study the situation calmly and decide what is best," he added.The player’s agent, Joseba Diaz, also suggested that Atletico were not the only club interested in Merida and hinted that the player was in demand."Many clubs have called me about this subject but we want to speak with Arsenal and then decide," Diaz said.Certainly Merida does not lack experience playing in Spain as he began his career with Barcelona and also spent four months on loan with Real Sociedad last year.
I reckon Merida will leave if Rosicky gets a new contract because Wenger's son's, Denilson and Diaby are seemingly untouchable.

Guest Tulse Hill
Denilson and Diaby are seemingly untouchable.
No one is untouchable ala Pires, Gilberto, Vieira, Henry, Reyes, Ljungberg etcDon't see why Denilson and Diaby would be different....oh wait..Maybe because they are playing well for the club?

• 2 weeks later...
Fran Merida is hopeful of securing a new contract at Arsenal and says the team has nobody to fear in the hunt for Carling Cup glory. The midfielder scored his first Gunners goal on Wednesday night with a fearsome shot into the top corner to help Arsenal defeat Liverpool 2-1. The 19-year-old's contract expires at the end of the season but the Spaniard has revealed he is looking to get a new deal after opening discussions with the Club. "At the moment I am talking to the Club so I don't know what is going to happen," he said. "I am really happy here so hopefully everything is going to be OK. We are going to sit down and talk about [a new contract]." Merida was delighted with the victory over Liverpool and is now looking ahead to the Quarter-Final draw, suggesting Arsenal are ready to take on anyone. "I scored my first goal for the Club so I am really happy and also because the team won against a really tough side," he said. "The Carling Cup is really important for young players. We have to show what we can do and also enjoy it because we don't get many first-team games. "We know that it will be a really tough cup because there are some strong teams left in the competition. "There is no-one to fear because we can beat anyone. "Last year we lost away so maybe people think we are not as strong away but I think we can win at home or away."http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/m...rsenal-contract

uh ohlooks like we could lose merida, rosicky and eboue all on frees if we're not carefuland also barca tryna sign one of our brightest youth prospects Benik Afobe. If he goes I'll be devastated it dont look good if we lose all these smh at whoever handles contracts

Emmanuel Eboue has revealed that he would one day like to play top flight football in France and claimed that should he leave Arsenal he would be happy to sign for Paris Saint Germain. The Ivorian international has repeatedly stated in recent weeks that he is keen to stay on in north London, despite speculation in both Spain and Italy that Atletico Madrid and Fiorentina are both tracking the 26-year-old."I don't believe that I will break my contract at Arsenal, but I would like to try something new at some point," he told Le Quotidien du Foot."One day I would like to play in Ligue 1. I like that league, there are a lot of surprises and developments."If I went there, I believe I would sign for PSG. They are a club I admire."If Paris officials were to offer me a deal, the reply would be positive. We will have to see what happens."For now I am at Arsenal and I am focused on the season here. Next summer we will have to see."
Barcelona’s copycat chase of two of Arsenal’s Under 18 starlets has been stepped up with Barça represenatives making formal offers for both Benik Afobe and Chukwuemeka Aneke to visit their Catalan base for talks.Explosive midfielder Aneke has spurred the European Champions advances, preferring to remain with Arsenal, but Afobe is set to jet out during the week after completing England Under 17 duty where his 4 goals in 3 games earned him player of the tournament.Young Guns revealed on Tuesday that Barcelona were scouting Benik and since then the worlds media have taken our story and run with it, including the UK’s ‘Gutter Press’. The 16-year-old’s agent is speaking daily with the Blaugrana while Liam Brady must mull over whether to offer improved terms to the striker who has been offered a standard professional contract on his 17th birthday.Barça are awaiting the green light from the player before showing their hand in the form of a deal. Up to £5500 a week in wages has been mooted but whether the terms materialise will be down to Afobe’s reaction after looking checking out their facilities. West Ham have previously tried to sign the bulky frontman who has 7 Academy League goals this term – making him joint top scorer.

Afobe and Aneke will make at at Arsenal, so cant lose either and I doubt we will.Merida imo is gone as his way to the first team is blocked and Arsenal wont throw stuid p at him so if the deal aint done by December, we know how that goes.Rosicky class and I'd be disappointed if he leaves, but he's always injured.Would seem Wenger & Eboue came to an agreement of him getting more playing time due to it being a World Cup year and he'll stay. However if we go for van der Wiel in January to cover Eboue going ACN it will also cover his sale in the summer.

Eboue contract dont run out this year.1 of if not both, will go, like I said if club dont announce sh*t by December it aint happening.Afobe just milking Arsenal, he's 3 months away from a pro contract, so he wants that Wilshere money. Barcelona cant give him a contract till he 18 anyway but he making Arsenal sit up...

can't blame him for considering his options11 appearances for the 1st team8 carling cup3 league (2 were as a very late sub)hardly ever makes the benchbeen leap frogged by younger players in wilshere and ramsey, the latter being inferiordiaby and denilson are untouchable not to mention the amaury bischoff fiasco

Arsène Wenger has revealed Fran Merida has verbally agreed a new contract at Arsenal despite other clubs trying to "destabilise" him. The Spaniard's current deal expires next summer and Fifa laws state that if the midfielder has not agreed a new deal by January, he could open discussions with other clubs. Speaking after scoring in the Gunners' Carling Cup win over Liverpool, the 19-year-old said he was hopeful of securing a new contract at the Club and Wenger has now confirmed that deal is ready to be signed. "He has an offer that he has agreed and he has not signed yet," said the manager ahead of the Wolves game. However, the Frenchman has also expressed concerns that some clubs hopeful of signing the midfielder have been going behind Arsenal's back in an attempt to secure Merida's signature. "Some clubs are doing work behind our back to destabilise him," said Wenger. "We cannot stop them but it is a fact."

• 3 weeks later...

Arsene Wenger has declared that contract talks are underway with William Gallas, Tomas Rosicky and Carlos Vela.Senior duo Gallas and Rosicky are both in the final year of their current deals and would be free to start looking elsewhere in January.However, Arsenal manager Wenger is hopeful they will agree to extend their careers at the Emirates."We are speaking with Tomas and William, and I am optimistic to find a solution for both of them," he said in The People.Wenger is also eager for Vela to commit his future to the club as he has a lot of faith in the 20-year-old Mexican.The Gunners boss has likened Vela to former Liverpool forward Robbie Fowler and praised his composure in front of goal."We've had no offers for Carlos and we are extending his contract at the moment," said Wenger."The problem we have is that we have some very good young players, but the players who are in front of them are also young."But Carlos was the reason I didn't replace Emmanuel Adebayor in the summer."He's that good. He's like Robbie Fowler, in that he needs very little time to make a decision in the box, he is very relaxed when he finishes."