Forget race, we'll just target grime and funky

Bardissimo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8309690.stm
Hip-hop clubs have come under police scrutiny after a rethink of a strategy to prevent violence at music events.There had been strong objections to the Metropolitan Police's use of Form 696, used to gather details of promoters and performers.It has now been changed so as not to be "primarily" aimed at live music.It will in future focus on "large promoted events between 10pm and 4am which feature MCs and DJs performing to recorded backing tracks".Around 270 venues in London give the Metropolitan Police details of their events by filling out the risk assessment form. HIGH-RISK MUSIC EVENTSDJs or MCs performing to a recorded backing trackOpen between 2200-0400In a nightclub or large pubPromoted in advancePolice recommend that events matching these criteria use Form 696Police say it is necessary to track artists and promoters who have attracted problems, allowing officers to prevent violence by putting extra security in place or shutting down shows.When the form was introduced, it requested details of the ethnic groups likely to attend and musical styles performed, and was branded "potentially racist" by critics.The questions about ethnic groups and musical styles have been removed and new criteria added after a "thorough review". At the end of the day, you've got to say that certain events attract more trouble than othersMetropolitan Police spokeswomanPolice say evidence shows trouble is most likely at music events when DJs or MCs perform to a live backing track at late-night clubs."Detailed research identified which events are most likely to attract crime and disorder," a spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Police told BBC News."At the end of the day, you've got to say that certain events attract more trouble than others."We're shifting the focus away from live music. Originally the definition of what Form 696 applied to was extremely broad so by narrowing it down, it's thought that we can better tailor it to our requirements." Reading between the lines, the indie kids are all right but we've got to look out for those black boys with microphones in their handRod GilmoreHip-hop promoterClub promoter Rod Gilmore, who has put on the Doctor's Orders hip-hop night in London for four-and-a-half years, said the new criteria would target urban music."Reading between the lines, the indie kids are all right but we've got to look out for those black boys with microphones in their hands," he said. "Saying it's over recorded music with DJs and MCs really narrows it down."Most promoters, performers and venue owners were responsible, he said, but added that Form 696 was not effective at cracking down on those causing problems."I'm keen for the dodgy promoters who get a bad crowd and therefore create this impression of evil urban music to be found out because that's the only way we're going to clean things up. Unless we keep our own house in order, we're all going to get tarred with that brush."If Form 696 was effectively closing down parties that had trouble, then I'd be more supportive of it. I'll fill it in when asked to but I don't think it's doing what it set out to."A statement from the Met said: "To date, shootings linked to licensed premises have been significantly reduced and we believe the risk assessment process has contributed to this."Police have said the form "played its part" in an 11% drop in serious violence in licensed premises in 2008.'More focused'Earlier this year bodies including the House of Commons Culture Select Committee and UK Music - an umbrella group representing much of the British music industry - called for the form to be scrapped.UK Music said it would continue to push for its abolition.But the Musicians' Union, which also called for it to be scrapped, has now softened its position."When the form was first introduced, it suggested it was for all live music events," said assistant general secretary Horace Trubridge."That was something we were opposed to. We believe now that the form is much more focused and that the vast majority of our members are never going to come across Form 696."And perhaps the ones that do encounter it, they're working in an environment that needs police attention to ensure their safety."
and they wonder why we hate em

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Police say it is necessary to track artists and promoters who have attracted problems, allowing officers to prevent violence by putting extra security in place or shutting down shows.
this is a bit crap coz obviously its easier for them to shut down a show than it is to provide extra securityphone the promoters, tell them not to open their doors, and that they will be breaking the law if they donight doesnt happen

Nightclubs = violence.Just turn on Bravo or DMax anytime after 10pm and you'll see plenty of 'UK STREET CRIME' shows that show people of all races fighting outside clubs up and down the UK. Theres no doubt that a small number of 'urban' London clubs have a violence problem - the difference is its guns instead of fists being used so the problem seems bigger then it actually is.Form 696 was stupid and lazy. It allowed police to make a decision based on looking at a sheet of paper instead of actual intelligence. An MC could perform 999 times without any trouble but that 1 time there was a stabbing is what the police judge them on. It's not unknown for police to send out informal emails warning promoters not to book certain acts.However, the club promoters need to sort sh*t out (ESPECIALLY London urban ones). Look at the madness that happened outside Ministry at carnival. If there was PROPER security in and around the venue this wouldn't have happened. There's no better feeling then when I go to a club and see bare bouncers, CCTV, dogs and scanners. SMH @ the venues that dont spend £££ on security.

Nightclubs = violence.Just turn on Bravo or DMax anytime after 10pm and you'll see plenty of 'UK STREET CRIME' shows that show people of all races fighting outside clubs up and down the UK. Theres no doubt that a small number of 'urban' London clubs have a violence problem - the difference is its guns instead of fists being used so the problem seems bigger then it actually is.Form 696 was stupid and lazy. It allowed police to make a decision based on looking at a sheet of paper instead of actual intelligence. An MC could perform 999 times without any trouble but that 1 time there was a stabbing is what the police judge them on. It's not unknown for police to send out informal emails warning promoters not to book certain acts.However, the club promoters need to sort sh*t out (ESPECIALLY London urban ones). Look at the madness that happened outside Ministry at carnival. If there was PROPER security in and around the venue this wouldn't have happened. There's no better feeling then when I go to a club and see bare bouncers, CCTV, dogs and scanners. SMH @ the venues that dont spend £££ on security.
:!:

Kind of sad, but it is a reflection of the society we live in.

Guest Esquilax
Trusay every time i go past streatham ice rink on funky house night there's police vans outside
Im surprised thats still going on after that boys murder.
So am I to be honest, there's always a fracas outside, people running into the road and shouting and sh*t

real talk I'm all for extra security at these raves might get more girls into the placei know quite a few girls who have stopped raving because of the hype guys that do their best to ruin every night out.

There's no better feeling then when I go to a club and see bare bouncers, CCTV, dogs and scanners.
:lol:They got you well trained
for real, i feel uneasy espech when i see dogs and jakesbouncers and scanners are necessary i suppose
Would rather that, then getting stabbedIf its organised right, then its coolI was at that Romeos B Day bash, the one with the shooting, which practically deaded Garage raves in London for a good while.Aint about expecting to go out in a club and not coming home.How can you get a GUN in a club

This is England. Why are you lot even surprised.The small minority just give them an excuse to just be ignorant and lock down everything.Croydon and all the surrounding areas, unless you're a 'Jack The Lad', is no longer a place for black people. I can't be arsed to travel up London for a good rave.They win.
Nah they havent won yet...but they are going to in the end. Theres an event in the EC area every weekend guarenteed but slowly but surely thats gona get phased out.

from my life experience its always black people that cause fights in clubs. and sometimes asians
Think it really depends where you are TBH. Every race have fights in clubs it just depends on what area/county you are in to who will end up fighting. But nothing worse than someone/groups of people f*ck*ng up a whole night for everyone else over some 'beef' that should have been sorted out else where. Plus some people are too uptight to go clubbing if you know your aggressive and goin to get pissed off and start freaking out like some uncontrolable monster just cause someone accidently bumps into you then stay at home for god sakes.