Rafa Benitez's worst-ever XI

TF S4DK

RAFA BENITEZ faces a fight to save his Liverpool career following a catastrophic run of results.The Reds crashed to a fourth consecutive defeat against Lyon — their worst string of losses in 22 years.Spanish boss Benitez has been criticised for failing to sign big-name stars to ease the pressure on Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres' shoulders.The summer exit of Xabi Alonso to Real Madrid left the team short of creativity and Benitez has copped the blame for making a series of blunders in the transfer market.He has signed an astonishing 76 players since taking over from Gerard Houllier in June 2004.The likes of Diego Cavalieri, Albert Rieira and Mohammed Sissoko have all failed to impress during their time on Merseyside.However, none have flopped as spectacularly as the 11 men who make up Rafa's worst-ever team.Goalkeeper: Charles ItandjeCost: Free from Lens, August 2007The French flop was signed as cover for Jose Reina in 2007, but set his sights on becoming the club's No1 stopper in the FA and Carling Cups. However, his appalling behaviour at a memorial service to mark the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster in April left a sour taste in the mouth. The 26-year-old was seen laughing and behaving inappropriately throughout the ceremony and was forced to apologise to the grieving families and Reds fans for his conduct. He was later suspended by the club and shipped out on loan to Greek side Kavala in August.Right-back: JosemiCost: £2million from Malaga, July 2004The Spaniard became Rafa Benitez's first signing when he ditched La Liga for the Premier League. Played 15 games before a sending off in a 4-2 away win at Fulham marked the end of his Anfield career. The subsequent ban led to Steve Finnan re-establishing himself as the club's right-back and Josemi was traded for Villarreal's Jan Kromkamp in January 2006.Centre-back: Jan KromkampCost: Free from Villarreal (swapped with Josemi), January 2006The Dutchman could not force his way into the Reds' starting line-up and made only 14 appearances during his one season in England. Carted off to Eredivisie champions PSV just seven months after moving to Merseyside.Centre-back: Gabriel PalettaCost: £2million from Banfield, July 2006The tough-tackling defender became the second Argentine to play for Liverpool, after Mauricio Pellegrino paved the way a year earlier. However, despite arriving with a glowing reputation and much promise, the centre-back made even less of an impact than his fellow countryman. After making three appearances under Benitez, the youngster went scampering back to his homeland to join Boca Juniors a year later.Left-back: Andrea DossenaCost: £8million from Udinese, July 2008The Italian was signed as a direct replacement for departed fan-favourite Jon Arne Riise last season. Yet despite having carved himself a strong reputation in Serie A, Dossena struggled to adapt to the demands of the English league. He moaned: "I am not fully happy with my level. I must now get to a high level and maintain that, but first I have to battle to win selection. I am learning all the time".The 28-year-old failed to impress after being given a string of chances to cement his place in the side. Has been ousted by Fabio Aurelio and Emiliano Insua and to add insult to injury, his No 2 shirt was handed to Glen Johnson when the England man joined Liverpool in July.Right midfield: Jermaine PennantCost: £6.7million from Birmingham City, July 2006The former England international had already failed spectacularly at another big club — Arsenal — when he became the country's most expensive teenager after joining from Notts County in 1999. Arsene Wenger farmed him out to Watford, Leeds and then Birmingham in a bid to get his ability — and attitude — up to scratch for the Gunners' first-team. But the Frenchman lost patience and Birmingham signed Pennant in 2005. He did enough in the 38 games he played for the Blues to earn a switch to the Reds, but his patchy form saw him become only a bit-part player. Joined Real Zaragoza in the summer and blasted his old boss' 'robotic' managerial approach. Pennant said: "When I was on the touchline, all I could hear was Benitez giving me directions. At times I'd think 'why don't you just put the batteries in and turn me into a robot'.Central midfield: Lucas LeivaCost: £6.75million from Gremio, May 2007Looking at Lucas's CV, you'd think Liverpool had unearthed a gem when they signed him from Gremio two years ago. A former Brazilian Under-20 team captain, part of his country's Olympic bronze-medal winning squad and the youngest player ever to receive Placar magazine's Golden Ball — an honour previously won by the likes of Zico, Falcao, Romario and Kaka. Yet Leiva has had a disastrous time in England. Critics have raised doubts as to whether he has the quality to play alongside Javier Mascherano and Steven Gerrard in the middle of the park. His own fans booed him after a dire performance in Liverpool's lacklustre draw against Fulham last term and he did little to ease their disdain for him by getting sent-off in a cup tie against bitter rivals Everton.Left midfield: Ryan BabelCost: £11.5million from Ajax, July 2007Merseyside's Mr Inconsistent. Arrived amid huge fanfare two seasons ago with Reds supporters claiming he would be the man to add much needed width to Benitez's team. But despite a handful of scintillating performances — most notably when he came off the bench to destroy Arsenal in a Champions League quarter-final — Babel has failed to live up to expectations — and his hefty price tag. Despite his denials, rumours continue to circulate he could return to his homeland on loan in the January transfer window in a bid to salvage his chances of securing a World Cup place with Holland.Striker: Fernando MorientesCost: £5.5million from Real Madrid, January 2005Michael Owen's move to Real Madrid saw Morientes' chances of first-team football at the Bernabeu limited and the Spaniard jumped at the chance to team up with his compatriot Benitez on Merseyside. But Raul's former strike partner failed to shine, bagging a paltry eight goals in 41 league appearances. Was bombed out to Valencia following a dismal year in the Premier League after struggling to adapt to the pace of the English game.Striker: Craig BellamyCost: £6million from Blackburn Rovers, July 2006Despite an impressive pre-season, lifelong Reds supporter Bellamy saw his Anfield career get off to a slow start. Scored just seven goals in 27 games but will be remembered more for his 'nutter with the putter' nickname rather than his (lack of) goal-scoring exploits. In February 2007, a Sunday newspaper reported the Welshman attacked team-mate John Arne Riise with a golf club during a training session in Portugal. Later paved the way for his Reds exit after telling a Welsh TV show his relationship with Benitez had broken down and joined West Ham shortly afterwards.Striker: Robbie KeaneCost: £19million from Tottenham Hotspur, July 2008Keane sealed his lifelong ambition of joining the club he supported as a boy by signing for Liverpool last year. But his dream move soured as the Ireland captain failed to strike a rapport with Fernando Torres in the Reds' front line. Scored seven goals in 28 appearances but his huge transfer fee and lack of playing time meant he cost the club an astonishing £5,070 for every minute he spent on the pitch.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

them players are better and would beat a fergie X1 even a wenger one prob a mourinho one too.

Benetiz gets signing criticism more than Fergie & Wenger cos he signs fairly big and gets it wrong more than right.Wenger worst eleven would be a very cheap 11, bar Jeffers and maybe if you tried to include Reyes and Wiltord.However boths saving grace is that they have brought through a bag of young players for free/next to nothing.Benetiz hasnt brought through not one player.

Benetiz gets signing criticism more than Fergie & Wenger cos he signs fairly big and gets it wrong more than right.Wenger worst eleven would be a very cheap 11, bar Jeffers and maybe if you tried to include Reyes and Wiltord.However boths saving grace is that they have brought through a bag of young players for free/next to nothing.Benetiz hasnt brought through not one player.
The criticism Benitez gets isn't on an even keel with Wenger or Ferguson and I think its because his character seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way.He has got some transfer wrong but some signings were blatant stop gaps until he could get better.As for the youth team, its common sense that it takes a few years for you to put your stamp on the club and youth system before you start producing quality players regularly. He sacked a lot of the youth team staff over the summer and brought in a whole new back room team. Wenger didn't even bring through many youth players in his first few seasons.Even still you're starting to see a few coming through like Insua, Kelly and Spearing.

He has got some transfer wrong but some signings were blatant stop gaps until he could get better.As for the youth team, its common sense that it takes a few years for you to put your stamp on the club and youth system before you start producing quality players regularly. He sacked a lot of the youth team staff over the summer and brought in a whole new back room team. Wenger didn't even bring through many youth players in his first few seasons.Even still you're starting to see a few coming through like Insua, Kelly and Spearing.
Yes but some of them stop gaps cost a lot of money and he didnt always recoup back that money or work with the player and try improve his game, so its just waste of money and time.I agree, but I'd remind you he found Anelka within a season. Benetiz in regards to his transfer policy always seems to argue that he hasnt had enough money, yet overlooks that he like many other managers could find a gem for smaller fees and I think thats why people have no sympathy for him rather than his character, well in regards to signings at least.

He has got some transfer wrong but some signings were blatant stop gaps until he could get better.As for the youth team, its common sense that it takes a few years for you to put your stamp on the club and youth system before you start producing quality players regularly. He sacked a lot of the youth team staff over the summer and brought in a whole new back room team. Wenger didn't even bring through many youth players in his first few seasons.Even still you're starting to see a few coming through like Insua, Kelly and Spearing.
Yes but some of them stop gaps cost a lot of money and he didnt always recoup back that money or work with the player and try improve his game, so its just waste of money and time.I agree, but I'd remind you he found Anelka within a season. Benetiz in regards to his transfer policy always seems to argue that he hasnt had enough money, yet overlooks that he like many other managers could find a gem for smaller fees and I think thats why people have no sympathy for him rather than his character.
Which stops gaps would you say cost a lot of money?Off the top of my head I'd say he has recouped on most of his transfers. He has had money but in comparison to the only two teams who've won the league since he's been here its nothing. I watched Chelsea the other day and they're bringing on players I forgot they even signed despite them costing £18 million.He didn't sign Anelka, Houllier did and opted to buy *cringes* Diouf instead.

Pennant for near 7m, was the first that sprung to my mind tbh. Liverpool in terms of transfer policy just remind me of Spurs, where you question do these transfers really get thought thru...Zhirkov been injured since he arrived tho.No I meant Wenger found Anelka for Arsenal in his first season.

Pennant for near 7m, was the first that sprung to my mind tbh.Zhirkov been injured since he arrived tho.No I meant Wenger found Anelka for Arsenal in his first season.
Yeah I'd agree Pennant was a costly mistake in a way but their were points where it seemed like a good buy like the CL final, his attitude was his downfall and I personally thought after his previous problems he'd see this was his last big chance and knuckle down.I thought he was fit, I seen him in the Carling cup a bit back. But still Aquilani is injured and it affects us hugely for Chelsea a £20 million pound man missing is a minor, I don't even think he'll start.I get you on the Anelka point but that was more like a one off, it normally takes a few years for managers influence on the youth system to produce a steady flow of quality youngsters like for example Man Utd in the early 90's or Arsenal now.

The criticism Benitez gets isn't on an even keel with Wenger or Ferguson and I think its because his character seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way.He has got some transfer wrong but some signings were blatant stop gaps until he could get better.As for the youth team, its common sense that it takes a few years for you to put your stamp on the club and youth system before you start producing quality players regularly. He sacked a lot of the youth team staff over the summer and brought in a whole new back room team. Wenger didn't even bring through many youth players in his first few seasons.Even still you're starting to see a few coming through like Insua, Kelly and Spearing.
I swear this argument has already been done.And you resorted to name calling to try get your point across.

Nobody was 100% convinced on Pennant recovery, it was a hope, Rafa took a chance and it backfired and thats the thing, to his knockers he must be the gift that keeps on giving... Like you said about Aqualiani, when you spend big it matters more to you than say Chelsea, so why he risked 7m on Pennant just confuses people, especially when you consider his excuse for league failure is spending power.