The XX

bay_u

Guest Malcolm Tucker

Gil-Scott-Heron-001.jpg

Gil Scott-Heron's latest album, I'm New Here, is to be remixed by Jamie Smith of the xx. The London trio's beat-maker, bass-rumbler and synth-player has been commissioned to rebuild the poet's celebrated LP, using just Scott-Heron's vocal track rather than the original music.

Although billed as a remix by the xx, singer/guitarist Romy Madley Croft wanted to "set the record straight" in an interview this week with BBC 6 Music. "The remixing side of things is very much Jamie," she said. "He's known as Jamie xx so people just write the xx, but I can't take credit for all the work that he does. But I have heard some of [the I'm New Here remix], and it sounds brilliant."

Smith revealed he was still at school when his art teacher first introduced to Scott-Heron's music. Years later, the poet, singer and rapper appeared at an xx gig with the idea of performing "an impromptu song in the middle of our set", Smith said. "It never happened for various reasons, but still it was really good to meet him."

The xx's minimalist pop is a sibling to Richard Russell's original production on I'm New Here. Russell, who is also head of XL Records, was introduced to the group after hearing Smith's remix of Florence and the Machine's You Got the Love. "They just gave me the parts and let me do whatever I want, so I've been doing it on my laptop on tour," Smith said. "I'm am only using [Gil's] vocals, I'm not using any of the original music from it, which is very freeing."

The remix album is yet to be given a release date.

• 2 years later...

anyone feeling the new album?

• 4 years later...

New album has dropped :Y:

• Upvote 1