playing videos from HD onto TV

Jdot

i want 2 be able 2 watch my tv shows and movies from my external harddrives on my tv.i know i can watch them through xbox media center but thats really slow.if i was to buy this blueray player, would i be able 2 connect my external HD to it and play my videos off it onto my tv through the blueray player?this 1...Code:http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/9481384/Samsung-BD-P1600-Blu-ray-Player/ProductReviews.htmlis there any other ways aswell that i could play my videos from HD on my TV?if ther are, please explain..safeeeeeee.

What you're looking for is called Western Digital TV and it's probably the best thing I've ever bought. There's a new one out called WDTV Live but that's more expensive because it has connectivity with your PC so you can use a network cable to stream stuff straight from your PC to your TV. I prefer the older one because all my sh*t is on my external hard drive anyway. It plays ANYTHING you throw at it, all formats, full HD, no lag at all, nice navigation, music, photos everything. It's £68.99 at Amazon and £79.99 at Play.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-1080P-Media-Player/dp/tech-data/B001ILFDCK?tag=citofgamonlco-20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mXZazm6Zw

It's £68.99 at Amazon and £79.99 at Play.
Is it a better model on Play?
The Play and Amazon links are of the same products. The WDTV Live model retails for £139.99.
safe!so... will it work with my tv, its a samsung 5 series?so wuld i plug it in 2 my pc using usb, copy all my videos onto it, then plug it into my tv then it jus loads all up on ther and i use my tv control 2 navigate thru it?and wat connection wuld it connect into the tv by?wuld i need 2 buy the HDMI cable seprate?

xbox media centre isnt even slow though, try streaming str8 from ur xbox video library, save u spending any more pee
when i try that tho it saiscan't connect. make sure you have activated this console on your computer.but im sure i have becos it works wen i go into media center on the xbox 2 watch stuff, its jus f*ck*ng slow tho wen i do.soo wat do i have 2 do 2 set up wat ur saying 2 do then?

The Play and Amazon links are of the same products. The WDTV Live model retails for £139.99.
safe!so... will it work with my tv, its a samsung 5 series?so wuld i plug it in 2 my pc using usb, copy all my videos onto it, then plug it into my tv then it jus loads all up on ther and i use my tv control 2 navigate thru it?and wat connection wuld it connect into the tv by?wuld i need 2 buy the HDMI cable seprate?
No you don't put any media onto the actual device itself. You plug your external hard drive into the WDTV using your USB cable then it scans your hard drive for media. Then you just watch it on the TV by browsing with the remote you get with the WDTV.I got a deal where it came with a HDMI cable but you will have to buy one. Swear they're like 80p on Amazon.It will work on any TV with a HDMI port or composite (Red, White, Yellow ports)I find using Xbox long, there's no support for MKV's which is the most popular format for HD videos so I have to manually convert on my PC before I play it on my Xbox, that's long.

No you don't put any media onto the actual device itself. You plug your external hard drive into the WDTV using your USB cable then it scans your hard drive for media. Then you just watch it on the TV by browsing with the remote you get with the WDTV.I got a deal where it came with a HDMI cable but you will have to buy one. Swear they're like 80p on Amazon.It will work on any TV with a HDMI port or composite (Red, White, Yellow ports)I find using Xbox long, there's no support for MKV's which is the most popular format for HD videos so I have to manually convert on my PC before I play it on my Xbox, that's long.
ok safeee. i understand how it all works n that now.culd i use a USB stick aswell and plug that into it, and play videos of that aswell?

i got the Western Digital TV thing 2 dayits jus wat i wanted buti was halfway thru watching a movie on it, then it turnt off, then just kept turning off every 5mins thru the movie- i tried 2 update it with the newest firmware, it froze so i turnt it off at the mains, now i've turnt it bk on and its just froze on the loading screen wher it sais WD TV HD player.wtfffff

yh all the reviews i read about it, no1 had the same problems as me loli sorted the freezing bit out, i had 2 load the original firmware back onto it then it un-frozewas wondering, mayb it kept turning off thru the movie becos it was overheating or somthing?i had it pluged in for like 8 hours be4 i watched the movie. Do u kno if it uses much power while its on stand-by or somthing?

• 2 weeks later...

when i stream stuff from my lappy to teh box, i use vuze. its a torrent program, but has a inbuilt xbox/ps3 stream connection.Basiicaly you open it up , drag n drop the vids into the folder, can choose either a HD or SD format. It supports MKVs aswell which is sick. But big HD movies like 2gb+ can take a while to convert. But its instant for tv shows. Converted the wire and entourage almost instantly. (episode by episode obviously)its free and bcos its a torrent program, (if you like using torrents) you can jus download straight from it and then jus drag n drop. good times