Help me accoutantcy students

Captain Planet

I've never done accounting and finance before and as I missed the first few lectures still working out course changes etc. I'm pretty much pissed.So here it is, I'm not asking for answers or anything I just need guidance to get going.I'll PM a rapidshare pass to whoever can help me the most.ASSIGNMENT DETAILS As a professional financial analyst you have been approached by Mo Kader who is looking to invest some money in Marks and Spencer plc. Mr. Kader asked you to prepare a report advising him as to whether this is an investment you would recommend. You should base your recommendations on information obtained from the company’s 2009 Annual Report as well as accounting knowledge you have gained from your studies to date, and any other useful sources of information you identify during your research. Marks and Spencer 2009 Annual Report is available at: http://annualreport.marksandspencer.com/pdfs/MandS_AnnualReport_2009.pdf Your report should be prepared in suitable format, with good presentation and structure and should address the following: 1. Content of Annual Report (30%) 1.1. The Annual Report of any company consists of narrative reports, as well as financial statements and other quantitative information. 1.1.1. Do you think the Directors’ Report in Marks and Spencer 2009 Annual Report provides essential information for users of their financial statements? Which groups of users in particular would find it valuable? 1.1.2. Identify FOUR key aspects of business performance discussed in the Operating and Financial Review. 1.1.3. Identify information within Marks and Spencer’s Annual Report which might be of interest to the environmental user group. 1.2. Refer to the Audit Report for Marks and Spencer. 1.2.1. Who are Marks and Spencer’s external auditors? Will they continue to audit the company next year? 1.2.2. Briefly explain the purpose and limitations of external auditing. 2. Analysis of Content (60%) 2.1. The principal risks and uncertainties that could impact on Marks and Spencer’s performance are identified in the Corporate Governance section of the Annual Report. Discuss the main elements of business risk that you believe could have the greatest impact on the Company’s long term performance. What is your assessment of the likely impact of the global financial crisis on Marks and Spencer’s business risk? 2.2. Explain Marks and Spencer’s accounting policy for the treatment of depreciation of property, plant and equipment, and discuss its implications for reported profitability. 2.3. The Annual Report includes the Consolidated Financial Statements for 2009 and comparative figures for 2008. 2.3.1. Identify FIVE key ratios which you believe are important in evaluating Marks and Spencer’s financial performance. Justify your choice of ratios. 2.3.2. Calculate the ratios you identified above for 2009 and 2008. 2.3.3. Based on your ratio calculations, comment on the financial performance of Marks and Spencer. 2.4. Refer to Marks and Spencer’s Consolidated Cash Flow Statement. 2.4.1. Did Marks and Spencer generate significant cash from operations during 2009? 2.4.2. What were the most significant uses of cash during the year? 2.4.3. What additional important insights into a company’s performance are offered by a Cash Flow Statement as compared with an Income Statement? 10% of the mark will be awarded for structure and presentation of your report.