MIKE TYSON GOES IN ON BILL O'REILLY

Corrigan

http://thacorner.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=189:tysons-open-letter-to-bill-oreilly&catid=48:editorials&Itemid=172Tyson goes IN on Mr. O'Reilly. Enough said. Dear Mr. O’Reilly,Although I must admit that I am more of a fan of Mike Huckabee’s television show, I have watched yours on multiple occasions as well and some of the commentary featured on your show alarms me sir. Upon my watching your show I have noticed that you have the propensity for bashing the hip hop industry at large and relegating its artists to “pinhead” status for reasons that myself and other followers of hip hop find both appalling and extremely biased. Since the inception of your show The O’Reilly Factor in 1996, it seems as if you have made it a personal crusade to vilify the entire hip hop industry while painting a subjective, blindly blanketed generalization that all hip hop is filled to capacity with crime, violence, and drug peddling. I must digress on this opinion sir as it can be no further than the truth.Not once have you shown the positive side of the hip hop industry such as the multitude of charities created by hip hop artists to help poverty stricken children not only in the inner cities of America but in the war torn lands of Africa as well. Never have you taken the time out from your pessimistic, predisposed and preposterous opinion rants on hip hop to acknowledge the successes of numerous artists and industry leaders who grasped the concept of entrepreneurialism by the horns and became successful. People such as Russell Simmons, Jay-Z, P. Diddy, Master P, and countless others. I have yet to hear you mention movements like the Hip Hop Congress, Rap the Vote, or the Hip Hop Summit., all of which promote social and political change while teaching the youth how to become active in their communities.Instead you decide to incessantly harp on the negative aspects of this great art form, proclaiming over and over again to your viewers that hip hop has nothing good to offer society and is populated by pimps, thugs, and drug traffickers. You incorrectly paint this picture while simultaneously turning a blind eye to the negative aspects and ramifications of other forms of entertainment from rock music to movies to your own books. I concur with you that some rap music glorifies the street life and paints a hyperbolic image of a life lived in poverty.However,name one other form of media that doesn’t do the same. Why aren’t you criticizing the rock music genre for promoting recreational drug use and promiscuous sex? Why haven’t you spoken out on the superfluous amount of violence and adult content readily found on any television channel or movie screen? Why would you write a novel that contains graphic sex acts and multiple murders? This inability to offer the same disparagement to other industries for their practices that mirror those of a select few of hip hop acts is further proof of your unjust prejudice against the hip hop industry and community. How do you make statements like this- “"See, now, here's Britney Spears, who I don't have too much of it, she's dressed up like a dominatrix here, but that's just rock and roll nonsense.There she is, it doesn't bother me.” and then denigrate hip hop for glorifying sex? Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t this Britney Spears who dresses like a dominatrix, tongue kisses other women on TV and has the same target demographic as the Barbie corporation the same Britney Spears whom was a spokesperson for Pepsi? Yes that Pepsi, the same one you protested and lambasted for allowing Ludacris to be their spokesperson even though according to you he is “subverting the values of the United States”"For years, I've been saying that the antisocial lyrics contained in many rap songs and the overall tone of boorish behavior in the hip-hop world is having a destructive influence on many of America's most at-risk children: They target the kids that are most at risk and are most vulnerable to their, what I think, insidious message. These children, hearing this without guidance, are very, very likely to adopt anti-social attitudes."\Hip Hop Destroyers? Is that what they are calling hip hop artists these days? That is a direct quote from you sir that gives an example of your scathing contempt for hip hop while further establishing your track record as an extremely biased individual harboring predisposed notions that amount to nothing less than pure fallacies. Did the kids who riddled Columbine High School have Camron playing in their headphones? What about the group of kids who brutally murdered a woman in Louisville for the purpose of drinking her blood and becoming vampires? Was Jay-Z blaring in their iPods? I think not sir. Those incidents are more in line with common plots of movies and of your own book Those Who Trespass… not lyrics of hip hop.How about this quote sir- "In London, a television personality named Jill Dando was shot dead, apparently by a hit man, and I've been taking calls about this all day long… That's because my novel, Those Who Trespass, features almost the exact same scenario. It's very, very spooky. Bottom line on this is that neither Marilyn Manson nor I can affect anyone's behavior, and I do hope my creative work has a more positive message than Manson's, but it is not a comfortable position to be in, believe me”.Now you are being hypocritical by first claiming that rap music causes children to commit crimes, sell drugs, etc… and then claiming, in defense of your book, that neither you nor Marilyn Manson can affect behavior. Do you listen to the garbage that you spew out of your mouth nightly? It seems as if you don’t as you are making it a frequent routine of yours to contradict yourself while attempting to pass judgment on hip hop. Allow me to provide further examples of your hypocrisy by quoting none other than you Mr. O’Reilly. Here are a few excerpts from your best selling novel Those Who Trespass-"Goddamn bitch. She'll be sorry. Goddamn Clinton and his stupid family. What the f*ck am I doing here?""Costello tasted the salty flavor of blood running in his throat...The assailant's right hand, now holding the oval base of the spoon, rocketed upward, jamming the stainless stem through the roof of Ron Costello's mouth. The soft tissue gave way quickly and the steel penetrated the correspondent's brain stem.""Then he slipped here panties down her legs and, within seconds, his tongue was inside her, moving rapidly."Mr. O’Reilly, I’m completely shocked at your verbose use of such sexually explicit, murderous, violent imagery within your book. Now reiterate for me again how it is that Ludacris, Camron, and Jay-Z are vile creatures for depicting real life instances of street life yet you are completely in the right when you create literature such as the above. Sir, simply put, you are the personification of Hypocrisy in human form. Ludacris has a charity foundation that fosters economic development in youth and assists at risk children. Jay-Z and P.Diddy donated $1 million dollars each of their own money to help the victims of Katrina. Young Jeezy supports charities that feed the hungry and personally opened his own home to victims of Katrina. Do you see where I am going with this? These same individuals whose characters you attempt to assassinate on a nightly basis are doing more good in their communities than even the government. Yet you call them destructive influences on society and defame them routinely.As I stated earlier sir, I agree that not all hip hop is wholesome family entertainment but here is the thing…that music is directed towards adults. You won’t find a Cam’ron song playing in the background of Sponge Bob, a Jay-Z song on a Kid’s Bop CD, a Young Jeezy song featured on Dora The Explorer. A seven year old can’t walk into Best Buy and purchase Thug Motivation 101 yet a seven year old surely can walk into a bookstore and purchase Those Who Trespass which as the above mentioned quotes demonstrates is far worse than any song Young Jeezy has ever released. Rap CD’s are clearly marked as containing explicit content and therefore it is the responsibility of the parents of these at risk youth to determine and supervise what their children listen to.Artists are producing adult music containing adult content that they sell to adults. This is no different than a Marilyn Manson CD, an R rated movie or even your book. I would appreciate it sir if you could please retract your previous statements on hip hop and offer some objective commentary on this beautiful art form as you are wholly incorrect in your assumptions about hip hop. Before I end this letter, do me a favor and look into the mirror and tell me what you see as when I look a you I see the name of the title character in Hell Raiser…so who is the pinhead now?