Boxing thread

Guillermo Rigondeaux

I'm starting to train my younger bro (hes 13) and I sometimes help out train at the gym. I actually enjoy training and I would like to become a pro trainer one day although I'm too young and inexperienced now.But I have trained in many gyms all over the UK and USA under some big names so I do have decent knowledge of this sport and the conditioning side. I'm not a pro or seasoned amateur, so I don't want to give u guys the wrong impression - what I say is not final and may be disputed or there may be a better way of doing things. I'm making this topic because I often get questions about boxing/training/gyms etc. I remember when I started out I had alot of questions and would have loved 2 have someone I could ask so feel free 2 ask me if u want.Also if u have some good routines or advice or just want to discuss training for boxing or other combat sports (i know some of u do mma and kickboxing) please fee free

Good advice which worked for me:- Shadow box before hitting the bag. While I was saving for a bag I used to strap weights to my hands and work on shadow boxing, foot work, and moving about around an imaginary target. Gradually increase the weights but start off SLOW to get form.- Get the heaviest bag you can to train with. It's a false sense of achievement when you send a 30kg bag flying.- Don't do what most people do and just punch the bag once, move and punch again. Only do combination hits, and incorporate body movements in too. For example jab a couple of times then follow through with your leading hand, duck, swivel round the bag on either foot, and hook. Switch it up as you get better. - Always have at least one hand guarding your face- Skip/Jump Rope. Don't need to explain this one.Will add more as I think of them.

K just thought of another- HIT THE PUNCH BAG LEVEL WITH YOUR HEAD AND ABOVE/BELOW.The amount of people I see on a punchbag who for inexplicable reasons just punch at stomach level, then when you see them against an actual opponent they have to look up and aren't used to hitting at that level, is unbelievable.

Good advice which worked for me:- Shadow box before hitting the bag. While I was saving for a bag I used to strap weights to my hands and work on shadow boxing, foot work, and moving about around an imaginary target. Gradually increase the weights but start off SLOW to get form.- Get the heaviest bag you can to train with. It's a false sense of achievement when you send a 30kg bag flying.- Don't do what most people do and just punch the bag once, move and punch again. Only do combination hits, and incorporate body movements in too. For example jab a couple of times then follow through with your leading hand, duck, swivel round the bag on either foot, and hook. Switch it up as you get better. - Always have at least one hand guarding your face- Skip/Jump Rope. Don't need to explain this one.Will add more as I think of them.
sound advice

I think for beginners it has to be a bit simpler and stricter.. When i'm teaching a new person I always stress 3 things:1. Don't leave your boxing stance, ever.2. Don't drop your hands, ever.3. Technique is power.If you let them think its ok to drop one hand they'll drop the left all the time and if you tell them to move around the bag they'll leave their stance all the time as they don't have the correct footwork yet.For someone whos maybe been boxing 12 months I'll say its ok to drop the left depending on how much sparring they've had and I always make sure they circle the bag. Alot of people like to go in and out from the bag, this is bad as it teaches them that its ok to step backwards rather than sideways.Another thing I like to stress that is often forgotten is the importance of turning over your punches, alot of boxers turn the right but not the left or throw the left from the elbos not the shoulder.Sometimes you'll see a promising boxer whos looking good on the bag but he just needs to slow it down and work his technique. So I'll have them 1, 1-2, 1 sidestep for 3 rounds until the form is perfect. I read somewhere else that every boxer, even seasoned pro's always come back to the basics as its so easy to develop bad habits and forget these fundementals...Realise when you have reached your limits. There comes a point where the legs and arms are too tired, there is no point carrying on past this stage. You will lose technique and develop bad habits, start telegraphing punches, dropping your hands and become flat footed. This is when yo u should take off the gloves and wraps and head to the cardio machine or do some conditioning work.Finally, THE MOST IMPORTANT exercise/drill in boxing is not sparring or padwork it is shadowboxing. In my view this is the foundations that everything else is built on. I read that Cuban and Russian amateur training regimes have their boxing doing around 2 hours of shadow boxing every day. This is why they are the best amateurs in the world. Shadowboxing teaches balance, fluidity and technique..Ur shadow is the best opponent.. he's always ready to fight and he doesn't hit back.

i agree with the abovebut theres someone who i box with and from his shadowboxing his tekkers is mad on point but:HIS MOIST; give him 1 bang and he ain't on italso ringship skills are mad important, certain man just allow me to dominate the ring
get him sparring more and he'll overcome that fear.. or if hes worried about getting his face busted tell him get one of those headgears with the bar accross, the Reyes or Winning ones are bestyeah 4 real, if u can control the ring u can control what ur opponent can throw i got a big right hand and when i spar my trainer i can never let it go because his positioning is so good

the guy Don Sosa is talking bout tho went 2 a private primary school and London Oratory 4 2ndry (the school Blair's yutes went to)so the moistness is now part of his genetic make-up, 1 of them 1s where it's just not in his nature 2 scuff, or stand up 4 himself if som1 wanted 2 move 2 himbasically hasn't got fighting in him

the guy Don Sosa is talking bout tho went 2 a private primary school and London Oratory 4 2ndry (the school Blair's yutes went to)so the moistness is now part of his genetic make-up, 1 of them 1s where it's just not in his nature 2 scuff, or stand up 4 himself if som1 wanted 2 move 2 himbasically hasn't got fighting in him
i hear that man some people are naturally viscious u see it all the timebut even saying that LOTS of peoples natural reaction when they see a punch coming is to curl up / close their eyes.i wont lie, mine was. it was a big problem for me because i'd close my eyes whenever i was hit / saw a punch coming. i'd even close my eyes in ANTICIPATION of my opponents counter punch landing. Ie, i'd step in 1-2 then shut my eyes LOL. Got pounded more than once.The thing is that after a while I got used to it and I see it all the time in the gym when new guys get accustomed to getting hit and learn than u got to take 2 to land 1 when ur starting out. Just need to put the hours in inside the ring and doing drills with a partener that will get him used to it. My trainer told me at the start of fights or sparring just to walk forward with my guard up and take some shots on my guard so I knew what I was dealing with that helped me alot.Also I see what u mean, maybe he had an easy life and hes never had to scuff or go through anything. But saying that I see lots of these highschool All Americans who go to the best schools come in and actually bang out. One guy was on his Uni's boxing team out here and he was seeeeerrriiiooouuus. Don if he is ur boy u should help him out because if his technique is good it would be sad to see that potential wasted.
  • Upvote 1

this might sound silly but how do i skip? I seem to only be able to skip for 30 secs before i f*ck up. and i dont look good skipping, some people are switching one foot to the other im just doing basic jumping on the spot. any tips would be good.
how are u skipping now, are u doing double jumps?slow down and just get the technique first, rhythm will comeremember turn the rope with wrists AND forearms, hold the rope slightly infront of you not rigidly out by your sidesas with everything in boxing... RELAXXXXXXXXXXXXX!

my nuckles used to swell up when hitting a heavy bageven with raps and gloves onbut one guy told me to do press up on a concrete floor with my fistssince then my knuckles are doin italsowho does conditioning?
That guy gave you bad advice IMO.There is a benefit to doing press ups on your knuckles as it strengthens the hand forearm and wrist but I wouldn't suggest you do it on a hard concrete floor on a regular basis or for more than 3 sets.Maybe you have brittle hands like Floyd.. get some big 16oz gloves like Winning or if u can't afford them the Grant bag gloves are ok. They'll protect ur hands they are like pillows.I do conditioning what do u want to know?