Sol Campbell set to sign Arsenal deal

Badman

Sol Campbell set to sign Arsenal deal in shock return Sol Campbell is set to complete a surprise return to Arsenal in the next few days after he played 45 minutes for their reserves against West Ham.The 35-year-old former England defender has been a free agent since being released from his contract with League Two side Notts County in December. The Gunners have said he played in the 4-2 win "with a view to a permanent move back to Arsenal Football Club". "I hope to sign for Arsenal until the end of the season," said Campbell. "I need to get minutes under my belt, a couple of reserve games at least, before I can start looking any further ahead. "There are still a few technicalities to iron out but it's fantastic, great, marvellous. FOOTBALL BLOG Campbell will not have the burst of pace of old, but experience counts for plenty in the crucial defensive areas BBC Sport's Phil McNulty "I'm ecstatic to be back and I have worked hard to get there. Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is not stupid. He wouldn't have taken me back if he didn't like what he has seen." Campbell played only one game for Notts County after leaving Portsmouth. The former Tottenham and Portsmouth defender joined the Magpies in August, with the involvement of former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson a key factor in persuading him to drop down to League Two. However, he left less than a month into a five-year deal but after being strongly linked with a move to Championship leaders Newcastle, Campbell now seems set for a return to north London. He eased himself back into competitive football by playing for only the first half of the reserve match before being replaced by Ignasi Miquel, with there being no suggestion Campbell was injured. Campbell, who was capped 73 times by England and played at two World Cups, was keen to resume his career as quickly as possible after settling his contract dispute with the Magpies.It is understood offers were also on the table from Hull and Newcastle but Arsenal were always Campbell's first choice and he is still held in high regard by Gunners manager Arsene Wenger. "He has a fantastic attitude and good fitness," said Wenger last week. "Of course he is not the youngest but he is in a very good shape. He can still play in the Premier League, I've said that many times "He is important in the dressing room as well. He's positive with the young players. Every year we have one or two like that and I think a Premier League club will sign him." Campbell spent five years at Arsenal between 2001-2006, during which time he won two Premier League titles, three FA Cups and scored in the 2006 Champions League final defeat by Barcelona. Wenger's decision to bring back the veteran defender, who will provide cover for Thomas Vermaelen and William Gallas along with 32-year-old Mikael Silvestre, will cast further doubt over the future of Philippe Senderos, who told BBC Sport he is keen to leave the club in pursuit of first team football. Campbell's potential return has been welcomed by Arsenal great Bob Wilson. 606: DEBATE I think a seasoned head is what we need Samir Nasri is Infact, Andy McNab "In a nutshell he is a great professional and has got massive experience," former goalkeeper Wilson told BBC Sport. "He is very much a winner, single-minded and he certainly loves Arsenal and the way they go about doing things." Wilson also allayed fears that the centre-back is too slow to compete again at the highest level. "The first yard is in your brain and it's not a long term signing for Arsenal," he added. "He's been training with Arsenal since leaving Notts County, is very fit, the guys love having him around and I think the bottom line is Arsene likes having him around."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8455133.stmReally???

Philippe Senderos keen to leave ArsenalArsenal defender Philippe Senderos has told BBC Sport that he wants a permanent move away from the Emirates.The 24-year-old centre-back has fallen down the pecking order at Arsenal, and has only made only two appearances in the League Cup this season. "I want to go, I want and need to be playing ahead of the World Cup," said the Switzerland international, who spent last season on loan at AC Milan. "I don't want to play in the reserves, I just want to go," he added. Senderos revealed he has already had contact with clubs in England and abroad but said he has no preference where he moves. He expects to hear more about his future in the next couple of weeks. Already behind William Gallas and Thomas Vermaelen in the pecking order, Senderos' Arsenal ambitions have taken a further blow with the possible return of veteran Sol Campbell. The former England defender will play for Arsenal's reserve team at West Ham on Tuesday "with a view to a permanent move back to Arsenal Football Club", the north London club have confirmed. Senderos, who was linked with Everton and Atletico Madrid in the summer, was meant to play in the FA Cup game against West Ham earlier this month but was ruled out with an inflamed foot.But Senderos was keen to emphasise that he is now 100% fit. "There is no pain any more," he added. Senderos joined Arsenal from Servette for a reported £2.5m in 2003 and has subsequently made 117 appearances for the Gunners. He helped the Gunners win the 2005 FA Cup but injury forced him to sit out the 2006 Champions League final. He was also a member of Switzerland's 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008 squads.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8455210.stmThis probably explains why but whats wrong with this guy he needs to fight for his placeSlighly I think he will stay (hope)