Escapist

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly a pit trained from birth SHOULD NOT snap at you

secondly you shouldnt have an (american) pitbullterrier in this country, if it bites you, contact the relevant authorities and it will be put down

thirdly, dogs 'play bite' when playing, snapping is something totally different and wouldnt be done during play..

hitting it does not show your stronger than it

you have to display the behaviour of a dominant adult, which is NOT reinforcing negative behaviour when it occurs and NOT treating the dog like a human/child

it doesnt eat at the same time as you

it doesnt paw at you (this is dominant dog behaviour)

it doesnt bark at you

etc

etc

HITTING IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THE ABOVE.

Your displaying nuff ignorance and cotinuing as if your speaking truth

im jus goin by what ive seen, and its worked, jus givin the dog the eyes and its backin off

but therese obviously a reason why pitts are illegal, cos their unpredictable an dangerous

like i say i would never choose to have a dog, specially anything like a pit or something thats weighin in at more than half my weight

an ur right tbh, too many young people have got dogs that they dnt kno how to control

but i think people are gettin a bit too upset cos a dogs gettin boxed in the head, if anything u should be upset for the person whos raisin their dog wrong, not the dog

How?

Someone hits their dog, and i feel sorry for the person doing the hitting?

dont know what your talking about people getting SO UPSET about dogs but not people

as if there isnt a 15 page thread on haiti with people being upset, shocked and disgusted about what other people are having to go through

and then a couple people are RIGHTLY disgusted at horrific treatment of a living animal and people take exception to it :/

some people need to step into the real world tbh

I dont like cats, at all, but if I saw someone kick one I wouldnt say 'because I dont like them, this isn't wrong'

sorry for the fact that the dog may remember the violence an one day switch because of it

dno why ur talkin about haiti

and slappin a dog in the head, and kickin a cat is 2 different things

i see a pit run into a fence full pelt an hes fine

and i never said i dnt like dogs, or that i condone abuse

it might be the wrong way to train a dog, but the animal isnt suffering because it got a box in the head that didnt hurt but shocked it

people beat their kids, are u in that mum naggin thread gettin all het up cos a couple people said they got beats, no

I dont think I've posted in the mum nagging thread because I don't have a mum to nag me

and fine 'hitting a cat' then, your being pedantic but your not really making a point, the fact is its cruelty to an animal

HOW can you say WHY am I mentioning Haiti, when I clearly mentioned it saying the point has been brought up that people are caring about dogs and not people

AND then go on to mention the nagging thread and beating children :/

As if it isnt the same exact point I made in my post?

Pitbulls running into fences mean nothing, i can say I've seen children fall from heights, get hit in the face with footballs, cut themselves and not care

oh so its ok to beat them then

smh

tbh we are going round in circles simply because you were wrong to say

'you have to BOX pitbulls and fierce dogs and feed them raw meat'

i said i dnt see a problem with feeding a dog rawmeat not that u have to

when children fall off fences they are gettin injured

when u slap one a dem meat head dogs in the head, most ur gna hurt is ur own hand

:Y:

If uve got a pit u neeed to BOX it need to have it under complete and utter manners

same goes for most of these fierce dogs,

nuttin wrong with feedin a dog raw meat

And no the most your going to do is not hurt your hand

hence the dog cowering in fear :/

when u slap one a dem meat head dogs in the head, most ur gna hurt is ur own hand

If uve got a pit u neeed to BOX it need to have it under complete and utter manners

what is ur point here?

what is ur point here?

I multiquoted you accidentally

/

since you decided to highlight that

its bad for them

you should see a problem in that

No point in continuing this anymore anyway

going round in a very boring circle

its bad for them yh, does it make them sick yh?

they eat raw meat in the wild

Animals, like humans, require the enzymes, amino acids and other nutrients in the raw meat in order to stay healthy. Many skin and coat problems are a direct result of a lack of raw animal fat in the diet - fat which humans often believe is bad for their pet. Animals need at least 30% raw fat, and their systems are not designed to handle cooked meat or cooked fat. In the wild, a panther or jackal does not barbecue, grill or smoke its prey. It definitely does not walk to the local supermarket to buy dry food either. Yet most pet owners recoil at the thought of feeding raw meat to their dog or cat, concerned about bacteria or parasites. However, dogs and cats don't get salmonella poisoning because their digestive system is so acidic (or at least it should be) that it kills everything. This is why a dog can bury a bone and dig it up two weeks later and eat the rotting meat.

Yea it makes them sick

Wolves eat meat that they have freshly killed

You would have to give your dog processed 'raw' meat

Unless you planned to set it free and unleash it upon everyone?

something like 78% of raw meat contains E coli Which is harmful to dogs, and a further 20something % contains Salmonella, again, harmful to dogs

Not only can this harm your dog but YOU can catch it through your dog if it is infected by it (it can lick you and transmit it)

such things can give dogs horrific diarrhea and in the worst cases kill them

---

lol what hackjob site did you get that from

+

COOKED fat is not the same as proper food made for pets, you cant give them your chicken off the grill ffs

+

While the intense heat used in manufacturing pet food destroys any potential bacteria, raw meats may contain bacteria that are unsafe for both dogs and cats.[27] The US Government reported that in 2006, 16.3% of all chickens were contaminated with Salmonella.[28] A study on 25 commercial raw diets for dogs and cats detected salmonella in 20% and Escherichia coli in 64% of the diets. However, the E. coli strain that can cause severe illness O157:H7 was not tested for.[29] An example of the severity of E. coli H157:O7 infections can be seen in affected greyhound racing dogs fed raw meat as part of their diet. Known in greyhounds as "Alabama rot", the disease causes severe vasculitis, cutaneous necrosis, renal failure and death. It should be noted that racing greyhounds are typically fed raw meat classified as "not for human consumption", which may contain higher than normal levels of bacteria.[30]

Raw feeders consider the risk overblown and claim that the stomach enzymes and short intestinal tracts of dogs and cats allow them to handle harmful bacteria.[31][32] For example, an outbreak of salmonellosis caused by tainted commercial dry dog food led to 62 cases of human infection but no reports of the disease affecting animals fed the tainted food.[33] On the other hand, there has been a reported case where two cats fed a raw diet developed salmonellosis and died as a result.[5] A veterinarian from the National Animal Poison Control Center suggests that the diarrhea in animals that raw feeders attribute to detoxing could be caused by pathogens such as Salmonella, E. coli, Clostridium and Campylobacter.[5] The purchase of good quality meat from reputable sources and proper food safety practices such as defrosting meat in the refrigerator and not leaving food out for too long can reduce the proliferation of bacteria present in the meat.

Raw meats may also contain harmful parasites. As with bacteria, these parasites are destroyed during the heat processing of manufactured pet foods. Some raw diet recipes call for freezing of the final product, which greatly reduces (but does not necessarily eliminate) the potential for parasites. According to European Union regulations,[34] freezing fish at -20°C (-4°F) for 24 hours kills parasites. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends freezing at -35°C (-31°F) for 15 hours, or at -20°C (-4°F) for 7 days.[35] The most common parasites in fish are roundworms from the family Anisakidae and fish tapeworm.[36] While freezing pork at -15°C (5°F) for 20 days will kill any Trichinella spiralis worm,[37] trichinosis is rare in countries with well established meat inspection programs,[38] with cases of trichinosis in humans in the United States mostly coming from consumption of raw or undercooked wild game. Trichinella species in wildlife are resistant to freezing. In dogs and cats symptoms of trichinellosis would include mild gastrointestinal upset (vomiting and diarrhea) and in rare cases, muscle pain and muscle stiffness.[39]

A survey of accredited zoos worldwide showed a slightly increased risk of parasites and diseases in animals that are carcass fed as compared to commercial food fed. However, the researchers suggested that that may be caused by increased opportunistic preying and infected live preys may be the source of contamination.

+

Unfortunately, humans aren't the only ones affected by concerns of salmonella, as pets and dogs in particular are at risk of contracting salmonella from contaminated pet food. The first Pedigree dog food recall in this series was announced in early August, 2008 by Mars Petcare US, parent company of Pedigree, that a certain variety of Pedigree dog food may be contaminated with salmonella. On September 12, 2008, a larger Pedigree recall was issued and this time, more than a dozen additional brands by the same manufacturer were affected as well.

As a result of August's discovery, the dog food manufacturer issued a voluntary recall affecting Pedigree Complete Nutrition Small Crunchy bits dog food. A limited number of the recalled 52-pound bags of dog food were delivered to Costco stores in Northern California and Nevada, while about 100 20-pound bags were delivered to Albertsons stores in Southern California and in the area of Las Vegas, Nevada.

In September, the voluntary Pedigree recall was extended nationwide to include all Pedigree dry food and several other brands that were manufactured at Mars Petcare's Everson, PA manufacturing plant.

With this latest pet food recall and salmonella scare in mind, many pet owners are concerned that their pet may have been infected with the salmonella bacteria. Fortunately, Dr. Michael Levine, DVM, provided information on the signs and symptoms of salmonella infection, also known as salmonellosis.

Read more at Suite101: Salmonella in Cats and Dogs: This Bacteria Causes Vomiting, Diarrhea and Fever http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/salmonella_in_cats_and_dogs#ixzz0d4zeOcxy

Salmonellosis in dogs and cats:

The severity of salmonellosis in dogs and cats varies:

o subclinical carrier state (most common)

o acute enterocolitis

+ fever, anorexia, lethargy

+ diarrhea, possibly with mucus or blood

+ abdominal pain (infection is often associated with mesenteric lymphadenitis)

# Cats may present with prolonged periods of fever and anorexia without diarrhea.

o septicemia/endotoxemia

+ Salmonellosis in cats has also been caused "song bird fever," reflecting association with predation on infected migratory birds.

+

What Are the Symptoms of Salmonella in a Dog or Cat?

In a pet, salmonella signs and symptoms include:

* Vomiting (often with blood present)

* Diarrhea (often with blood present)

* Dehydration

* Refusal to Eat

* Refusal to Drink

* Stomach Gurgling

* Lethargy

* Fever

Unlike less dangerous stomach upsets that are commonly seen in dogs and cats, salmonella will not go away within a day or two. In a dog or cat, a case of salmonella typically lasts a week or longer.

Can My Dog or Cat Die From Salmonella? Is There a Treatment for Salmonella?

Yes! Pets like dogs and cats can and will die from a case of salmonella.

About they cant get it

Smaddy I beg you allow arguing with me on a subject I am knowledgable about

its obvious from the course of this thread I am a dog lover, and I know quite a bit about them

You arent going to win when your coming with rubbish YOUVE JUST GOOGLED with all due respect.

basically what i was saying tho, is ive seen man box pits for no reason other than instill fear and toughen them up, put chains and weights on them to make the hench, feed them bowls of blood to "give them the taste"

obv u dont think this is the correct way to raise a dog do u smaddy?

i kno theres man that do that and i think its wrong, i havnt once said i condone that kind of behaviour

theres no sense in hitting a dog for no reason

i kno a dog that got fed raw tripe on the weekends, on top of his normal food, he loved it, an he wern sick for it, and it wasnt given to him to make him aggressive