Tablet Thread (Apple iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Dell Streak etc)

jcee

Guest TimeBomb

ah man 2008 me and my guy opened an estate agent down walthamstow, we picked up a beautiful HP touch screen pc, brand new state of the art. Thought yea lets show everyone we're a step above the rest, put it on the front desk for everyone to see. Didnt take long for the place to get burgled, they ripped the bars off the toilet window at the back to get to it.

Guest Malcolm Tucker

think they flopped with this tbh.... will be successful no doubt tho

but one its jailbroken it could be very serious indeed...

LOL at no multi-tasking,

LOL at no usb/any type of connectors apart from the apple on

LOL at it being just a large iPod touch

will stick with my iphone and macbook...

tbh id rather see a macbook air with a touchscreen.

good read :

---------------------------------------

Charlie Brooker

iPad therefore iWant? Probably. Why? iDunno

Apple pretends it will make your life more efficient. Come off it. It's an oblong box that lights up

A star appears over San Francisco and a new gizmo is born. The iPad! At first glance it resembles an iPhone in unhandy, non-pocket-sized form. But look a little longer, and . . Nope. You were right first time.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. Apple excels at taking existing concepts – computers, MP3 players, conceit – and carefully streamlining them into glistening ergonomic chunks of concentrated aspiration. It took the laptop and the coffee table book and created the MacBook. Now it's taken the MacBook and the iPhone and distilled them into a single device that answers a rhetorical question you weren't really asking.

It's an iPhone for people who can't be arsed holding an iPhone up to their face. A slightly-further-away iPhone that keeps your lap warm. A weird combination of portable and cumbersome: too small to replace your desktop, too big to fit in your pocket, unless you're a clown. It can play video, but really – do you want to spend hours staring at a movie in your lap? Sit through Lord of the Rings and you'd need an osteopath to punch the crick out of your neck afterwards. It can also be used as an ebook, something newspapers are understandably keen to play up, but because it's got an illuminated display rather than a fancy non-backlight "digital ink" ebook screen, it'll probably leave your eyes feeling strained, as though your pupils are wearing tight shoes.

The iPad falls between two stools – not quite a laptop, not quite a smartphone. In other words, it's the spork of the electronic consumer goods world. Or rather it would be, were it not for one crucial factor: it looks ideal for idly browsing the web while watching telly. And I suspect that's what it'll largely be used for. Millions of people watch TV while checking their emails: it's a perfect match for them.

Absurdly, Apple keeps trying to pretend it'll make your life more efficient. Come off it. It's an oblong that lights up. I'm sick of being pitched to like I'm a one-man corporation undertaking a personal productivity audit anyway. I don't want to hear how the iPad is going to make my life simpler. I want to hear how it'll amuse and distract me; how it plans to anaesthetise me into a numb, trancelike state. Call it the iDawdler and aggressively market it as the world's first utterly dedicated timewasting device: an electronic sedative to rival diazepam, alcohol or television. If Apple can convince us of that, it's got itself a hit.

Some people are complaining because it doesn't have a camera in it. Spoiled techno-babies, all of them. Just because something is technically possible, it doesn't mean it has to be done. It's technically possible to build an egg whisk that makes phonecalls, an MP3 player that dispenses capers or a car with a bread windscreen. Humankind will continue to prosper in their absence. Not everything needs a 15-megapixel lens stuck on the back, like a little glass anus. Give these ingrates a camera and they'd whine that it didn't have a second camera built into it. What are you taking photographs of anyway? Your camera collection?

And don't bring up videocalls to defend yourself: it'd be creepy talking to a disembodied two-dimensional head being held at arm's length, and besides, the iPad is too heavy to hold in front of your face for long, so you'd end up balancing it in your lap, which means both callers would find themselves staring up one another's others nostrils, like a pair of curious dental patients. (Videocalls are overrated anyway. You just sit there staring at each other with nothing to say. It's like a prison visit: eventually one of you has to start masturbating just to break the tension.)

Personally, I'm not sure whether I'll buy an iPad, although I think – I think – I'm about to buy a MacBook. Yes, I was a dyed-in-the-wool Mac sceptic for years. Yes, I've written screeds bemoaning the infuriating breed of smug Apple monks who treat all PC owners with condescending pity. But being chained to a Sony Vaio for the last few weeks has convinced me that I'd rather use a laptop that just works, rather than one that's so ponderous, stuttering and irritating I find myself perpetually on the verge of running outside and hurling it into traffic. (That's a moan about Sony laptops, not PCs in general, by the way. I'm keeping my desktop PC, thanks: that's lovely. Smooth as butter. Better than I deserve, in fact.)

I just hope buying a MacBook won't turn me into an iPrick. I want a machine that essentially makes itself invisible, not a rectangular bragging stone. If, 10 minutes after buying it, I start burbling on about how it's left me more fulfilled as a human being, or find myself perched at a tiny Starbucks table stroking its glowing Apple with one hand while demonstratively tapping away with the other in the hope that passersby will assume I'm working on a screenplay, it's going straight in the bin.

The iBin. Complete with built-in camera. $599.99.

• This article was amended on 1 February 2010. The original said that Apple distilled the iBook and the iPhone into a single device. The iBook reference has been corrected.

----------------------------------------------

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/feb/01/ipad-therefore-iwant-why-idunno

Guest Triple XXX

nice read still

lol @ this though

(Videocalls are overrated anyway. You just sit there staring at each other with nothing to say. It's like a prison visit: eventually one of you has to start masturbating just to break the tension.)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Daniel Levy

iPad global launch date confirmed by Apple

Page last updated at 15:08 GMT, Friday, 7 May 2010 16:08 UK

* E-mail this to a friend

* Printable version

iPad The iPad has 10 hours of battery life and a virtual keyboard

Apple has announced that its iPad tablet computer will go on sale in nine countries outside the US on 28 May.

The consumer gadget was launched in the US domestic market on 3 April, but Apple had to delay deliveries to international consumers.

The new markets are Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK.

Apple says that since the device went on sale it has already sold more than a million iPads in the US.

In the UK, the device will range in price from £429 for the entry-level model, to £699 for the maximum capacity 64GB model, which also has built-in access to third-generation (3G) mobile networks.

IPAD PRICES

Continue reading the main story

* 16GB, wifi only - £429 inc vat

* 32GB, wifi only - £499 inc vat

* 64GB, wifi only - £599 inc vat

* 16GB, wifi/3G - £529 inc vat

* 32GB, wifi/3G - £599 inc vat

* 64GB, wifi/3G - £699 inc vat

Customers will be able to pre-order the device in the different markets from 10 May. Many other companies, including Dell, Nokia and Toshiba, are planning to release tablet computers in 2010.

On 4 May, Intel unveiled the family of chips it hopes will be used in tablet computers that will go on sale towards the end of the year.

The international launch comes after a challenging month for Apple.

In addition to iPad delivery delays, the US technology website Gizmodo published details of Apple's next generation iPhone.

Apple is known for keeping product announcements secret. The company immediately requested the return of the phone. Gizmodo complied with the request.

But after a police raid at the home of the editor of Gizmodo, Apple came in for criticism from the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which argued the website's journalists were simply disseminating newsworthy information.

IPAD PRICES

* 16GB, wifi only - £429 inc vat

* 32GB, wifi only - £499 inc vat

* 64GB, wifi only - £599 inc vat

* 16GB, wifi/3G - £529 inc vat

* 32GB, wifi/3G - £599 inc vat

* 64GB, wifi/3G - £699 inc vat

absolute piss take.... just under £100 more than the US exchange rate....

should have been £350 - 400