External hard drives

Dubby

What do you look for in these?

Like I've always just looked for low price alongside a recognisable name whenever I've bought any computer hardware, but with external storage devices I've never really had that much luck - always seem to end up corrupting or failing sooner or later.

Are there different types that would support constant use more? (like being on pretty much all the time that my PC is on)

Are there positives/negatives to a "portable" one other than it being smaller and being reliant on USB power?

So what is a sign of a good one? or more simply, what can you recommend?

Newer flash drives are more reliable and stable than the older ones.

But also tend to be more expensive.

Newer larger hard drives also tend to be less stable, I always buy an external HDD storage size which has been around for a while so manufacturers have been able to make 'em more stable.

I've never had a problem with either Seagate or Maxtor.

i need to get one for djing, will the speed of access have any impact on serato?

yeh, takes longer to scan + more likely to pause, plus if you haven't got dedicated sound card like me that stupid crackling noise goes up

really if you are performing you would want less chance of f*ck up so the files should all be on the laptop anyway no?