Portsmouth Face Administration

Goddaz

So Portsmouth face a High Court winding-up hearing at 1130 GMT which could result in the club's liquidation, or the club entering administration

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8505321.stm

Portsmouth face administration as they fail to avert winding-up proceedings

Jamie Jackson at Fratton Park guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 10 February 2010 Article history

It never rains but it pours. Portsmouth manager, Avram Grant, was sent to the stands on the night the club's lawyers failed to prevent this morning's winding-up hearing. Photograph: Eddie Keogh/Reuters

Portsmouth could become the first Premier League club to enter administration today after talks between their lawyers and Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs failed to avert this morning's winding-up petition in the high court. News of the unsuccessful negotiations emerged on a tumultuous evening which featured four red cards and a late equaliser for the home team in a 1-1 draw with Sunderland.

If a request from Portsmouth this morning to have an adjournment to prepare an appeal is not granted, the petition will be heard. The club could then be ordered to pay the outstanding £7.5m VAT bill to HMRC or have an administrator appointed, who will begin to settle with the club's creditors.

The Pompey manager, Avram Grant, who received a red card for approaching the referee to protest against a penalty decision, asked the high court to remember the unique role of a football club. "It's not a clear, normal business," he said. "It's not like an apartment that you buy without feelings. Here there are feelings, of players, fans, and also mine. The court needs to think it [also] belongs to 250,000 people. I think the club needs to stay alive – this is even more important than football." Regarding his sending off Grant said: "I told the referee it was not a penalty [when Matthew Kilgallon appeared to foul Aruna Dindane], that's all. I am a polite person."

Grant offered a wry appraisal of the referee, Kevin Friend.

"I think he doesn't see so clearly," he said. This was a reference to the award of a penalty for Ricardo Rocha's foul on Darren Bent and his subsequent attempt to send off Hassan Yebda before Rocha admitted he had committed the foul. Grant suggested decisions were going against his team because referees "have been affected" by the troubles at the club. Sunderland's Lee Cattermole and David Meyler were also sent off.

HIGH UPDATE: It's been adjourned till 2pm.

/

Messed up situation, spesh with the amount of money that the PL gets.

No one wants to see a team go

C/s for Pompey but if it was certain other clubs I WOULD LOVE T.

I hope they get the 28 days like Notts County did which may prove to be enough time to arrange the extra investments needed. Chances are they will still get relegated.

HIGH UPDATE: It's been adjourned till 2pm.

/

Messed up situation, spesh with the amount of money that the PL gets.

No one wants to see a team go

C/s for Pompey but if it was certain other clubs I WOULD LOVE T.

I hope they get the 28 days like Notts County did which may prove to be enough time to arrange the extra investments needed. Chances are they will still get regulated

Would you really though, a much as ppl say they hate their rivals they wouldnt want them not 2 exist

That is true

But 'Arry did a bit 'a wheelin' an' deelin' and it went pete tong.

But wasnt that done on the assumption that the owners have nuff money, sure he wouldnt have bought so many players knowing full well they had no money or would have to owe other clubs money

Wouldn't he? Why on earth were has been players getting silly wages as well. Harry was going crazy and signing anyone when Pompey couldn't afford it but i guess they did it to keep him happy. Swear the old chairman already blamed harry? Thats why Levy banned harry from making any massive signings these last 2 windows. Can't trust the guy with money imo

Didnt the owner bankroll the money on the promise of the club getting a new bigger stadium, and once that went the owner said f*ck this ^& the club couldnt self-run itself.

And he is owned 20 something million aint he ?

28m. I think he sold the club for 1p to that first guy who had no p, just so he wouldnt have the burden of the debts, lol.

Harry fully f*cked this club up

No he didn't but I am 100% sure he hasn't helped the club with his side deals and absurd pay packages he signed off.

The blame fully lands on the owners laps. I remember they promised certain things i.e new stadium and money but since then, ain't none of that has happened.

Portsmouth have had their winding-up order over an unpaid tax bill to HM Revenue and Customs adjourned for at least nine days.

The Premier League strugglers were at the High Court on Wednesday morning to face a winding-up order over their growing debts.

The court heard that Portsmouth owed more than £11.5million in unpaid taxes with representatives from the revenue informing the court that Pompey are insolvent.

However, Portsmouth representatives told the court they have received 'two serious offers' to buy the club.

Portsmouth will learn their fate at a second hearing, with the earliest opportunity for a hearing on Friday 19th February, although the date has yet to be confirmed.

Pompey could face administration and a 10-point deduction should the winding-up order be made next week if Portsmouth fail to come to a new agreement to pay the unpaid tax bill.

SS

How ?

I blame the PL for not taking proper steps in ensuring that these so called millionaires have the money they say they do.

The right and proper test means nothing and worthless.

Harry was/is not responsible for the financial dealings of the club. dunno why people are trying to convince themselves that he's to blame.

his job was to ensure the club stayed in the premiership while stickingg to the financial restrainsts set by those above him and he did that well aswell as winning a FA Cup. its not his fault the people hadling the money couldnt organise a piss-up in a brewery

If they have to liquidate, I assume it will be before the season ends, what the f*ck will this do to promotion and what will happen to the teams who haven't played them twice?

I think all games played/to be played against Pompey are null and void. Certain teams will be f*cked as they'd have 6 points deducted i.e Arsenal, Man U, Man C, Villa and West Ham would loose 4 points.

As for promotion/relegation. Pompey have been relegated in advanced so the usual amount come end of the season will follow but I think an extra team will have to come promoted to make up the numbers which will then be trickled down to the lower leagues.

/

I could be wrong.