Double Boot???

mary

yeah recently just got a windows 7 laptop which was great stuff lol. wanted a new computer for music really. but recently realised programme wanted to work only worked on xp/vista. been told to double boot and have seperate partitions so i can use the programme on xp and still enjoy benefits of windows 7 but im becoming seriously confused. can anyone give me any steps to double boot? do i need a installation cd for xp or windows 7?

pls help!

Well 1st of all to save the headache of dual booting. What program are we talking here exactly? Have you tried to install it and just run it in compatibilty mode?

Would recommend that when installing it , if it's a really old software to probably disable UAC. Install the app, set the compatible to XP test to make sure it's running and then re-enable UAC.

oh basically i brought an M box 1 (which is an audio interface but very early model) and it comes with a pro tools software and just realised it works with an xp/vista. ive checked the website and as its an earlier model. windows 7 doesnt support it. so i need to double boot so i can use it using xp or vista.

So how about installing it anyway regardless of what their website states. And just running it in XP/Vista compatible mode.

Because for you to dual boot XP and Windows 7. You're going to have to wipe your harddrive clean and reinstall Windows XP 1st and then Windows 7 after.

So to save the headache you install the app and do what I said above. Especially if it was supported for Vista, the chances of it working on W7 are high.

If you want help on that then just let me know in this topic.

Is the MBox connecting via USB? Also why not just grab Pro Tools 8.0.3 update whilst you're at it if you're eligible

she dont need to wipe her HHD to dual boot, just partition and install

Not really. As you will need to repair the Windows 7 boot file and add XP to the Windows Boot Manager list using a utility such as EasyBCD