JJ talk to your boy...

TF S4DK

MARTIN O'NEILL is desperate to deliver his first major trophy to Aston Villa fans tomorrow - whatever Arsene Wenger thinks.

Villa boss O'Neill will be contesting his SEVENTH League Cup final as player and manager.

And he reckons it is time Arsenal rival Wenger stopped bleating.

Wenger has annoyed the Villa camp by suggesting the Carling Cup does not count as a major trophy as they prepare to take on Manchester United.

O'Neill has two winners' medals from his Nottingham Forest playing days and another two from his time as Leicester manager.

He has not been impressed by Wenger's comments - especially as four years ago the Frenchman fielded all his big guns in the semi-final against Wigan.

O'Neill said: "I know that the Arsenal manager has been pretty scathing all the time in the League Cup. It would be interesting to see the team that he played against Wigan Athletic in the semi-final in 2006.

"I don't know it off-hand but I would have said that it was very, very strong. So when it suits them, it's a great competition. And when it doesn't suit you, then it's not."

In January 2006, after Arsenal lost the first leg of their semi against Wigan, Wenger called up Thierry Henry and also played Sol Campbell and Dennis Bergkamp for the second leg.

O'Neill added: "If you had seen or experienced any of the two semi-final matches from Manchester City and Manchester United, if somebody had said to any of those two football clubs that this trophy is not a trophy, then I think you would have got short shrift.

"It's an important competition. Manchester United, I'm quite sure, will field as strong a side as they possibly can on Sunday.

"They're contesting the Premier League, they're in the Champions League again and they will be treating this game with the utmost respect.

"Now if United and Chelsea can treat this competition with the utmost respect then that would really be enough for me."

The Irishman would dearly love to beat full-strength United at a sell-out Wembley and end Villa's 14-year wait to lift the League Cup again.

Not that he will be expecting a congratulatory call from Wenger if he succeeds.

Last month the managers clashed after the league fixture at Villa Park. Wenger branded Villa a long-ball outfit and O'Neill hit back by accusing him of having an opinion on everything.

Advertisement

He gets on far better with Alex Ferguson - but still wants to beat him too.

O'Neill added: "The League Cup has been really kind to me. I've managed to win it twice as a player, twice as a manager and been beaten in a final in two other years.

"It will be seventh time around and obviously I am pretty pleased that we are there. I remember the matches very clearly, both as a player and as a manager.

"I think that, for the wellbeing of the club in the immediate future, it would be really great if we could do it.

"The club has been starved of success considering it has a great history. Contesting these types of games would be a sign that the club is making serious progress.

"It's so important. It gives you a boost of confidence, a platform to drive on and a determination to go and succeed.

"The players, if they can win it, would feel that. They might not feel that the next day but they will feel that over the course of time.

"I'm hoping this is the start of something for this team because I think they genuinely deserve it."

Villa last won the League Cup in 1996 and last reached a major final 10 years ago when they lost to Chelsea in the FA Cup.

O'Neil admitted: "The club has had a pretty poor time of it really. One FA Cup final since 1957 and two League Cup finals in the 1990s.

"This club has a great history but, since winning the European Cup in 1982, you wouldn't say it's a phenomenal record and it's up to us to try and change that."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2871038/ONeill-Youre-a-silly-Arsene.html#ixzz0gh41mpFz

Martin O'Neill -

3 Championships

3 Scottish Cups

3 League Cups

1 European Final Appearance

Arsene Wenger -

3 Championships

4 FA Cups

1 European Final Appearance

snm

If your including O'Neill's Scottish sh*t, you better include Wenger's French and Japenese honours.

Irrelevant of that I know your not daring to suggest O'Neill is a better manager or achieved more than Wenger, I know your not, please tell me your not.

Both boast one domestic cup final appearance a piece since MON's had his chance at a big club in a big league.

If we win Sunday I think it's fair to say, based on 2006-present day, Martin is the better manager with the wider skillset. Considering the starting position of the two managers from 06-07 onwards.

If we don't bring home the big cup then it's a stalemate. But I tend to prefer Martin's more traditional approach of nurturing some of the brightest British prospects, compared to the Frenchman's philosophy of hoarding random foreigners before moving them on when they realise Arsenal isn't the place to be to beef up their honours list.

Oh for f*ck sake, why do Villa fans do this. Any shitty club from Aston, it's like Nottingham boasting about being big now. I swear Villa finished 16th in the premier league in 2006. O'neill is a decent manager, but he's not on Wenger or Funguson's level. No one is, guy needs to sit the f*ck down.

Guest Tulse Hill

Basically JJ's just a faggot fan.

I have spoken to Villa fans who aint on this Carling Cup/M.O.N d*ck ride, they say it will be a tough game but one step closer to champions league

In JJs version they are about to win the world cup

It's not official.

And Champions of Europe presumably, but you wouldn't know about that :)

pmmsl

villa still dining out on that european cup win ffs

jj wind ur neck back in fella nd concentrate being the no.1 club in the midlands that is ur biggest challenge right now

lol hold tight jj tho

anti villa campaign is strong

ive never in my life seen a cup final involvin the mancs where the neutrals want man u to win

lol winning the title with celtic dont count come like winning league 2 with chelsea and man united being the only other team on ur level in the league

carling cup aint ment nothing since 93 tbh

intertoto>>women premier league title>>>>league cup

the day arsenal play a full strengh team in the reserves run out cup i mean league cup os the day villa win the league

It's not official.

And Champions of Europe presumably, but you wouldn't know about that :)

pmmsl

villa still dining out on that european cup win ffs

jj wind ur neck back in fella nd concentrate being the no.1 club in the midlands that is ur biggest challenge right now

lol hold tight jj tho

anti villa campaign is strong

ive never in my life seen a cup final involvin the mancs where the neutrals want man u to win

Champions League Final 08 was a close one. I think a lot of people didn't want Chelsea to win it cos of that Abramovich P.

But true Villa have been getting quite brave recently and that's why the hate is strong.