crime amongst youths in london

Axiom

doing a presentation on this next week and i wanna get some ideas flowing on how to relate this subject to marx and durkheim

what do you think are the main reasons for youth in london getting involved in criminal activities (knife crime, gun crime, gangs)?

survival?

money?

peer pressure?

fashion?

protection?

all of the above?

scream at me

safe people

Guest WAVESURFER

Because they've been brought up by single mothers and feel the need to try and reinforce their masculinity the only way they know how: violence and crime.

Relating this to Marx is pretty straight forward I'd imagine. Did something similar in criminology quite a while back. In a Marxist framework, the lower classes are at a natural state of unrest, thus resulting in all kinds of bother.

There is an alternative view though, which I took to the most, and that is that, crime is constructed by the upper classes. Basically, everyone takes part in crime (it's a normal state of human affairs and there is no one specific 'reason' for it) - but the law is designed to target crimes of the powerless. If you think about how the UK invaded Iraq - there are so many legal loopholes for the government to exploit, making that sort of thing acceptable to the extent that they are still there. But say one gang in London decided that another gang wasn't safe, and decided to go there and take them all out - the authorities would be all over it. Because they have the power to do that.

• Upvote 1

melanin

lol your pissed

i must have missed the part where he mentioned so called black youth specifically...

you can talk about identity

durkheims anomie and strain theory, in particular, rites of passage or lack of, in current society

also, society CREATES deviance and projects it onto 'others' in order to experience some sense of 'moraity' within themselves

economics/business = divisions of labour, no crime, no prison, no community support officers, no magistrates judges needed

with 'youth crime' you now need a specialized branch of crime control to deal with these 'exceptional cases'

Herbert Marcuse has a short publication, an essay in liberation, helped me out with my assignment and balancing a general overview of whats really being played out here

fashion

peer pressure

money

in that order

Bored

order is actually perfect inmost cases.

been in youth work for the last year and a half, and these are the things that come up time and time again. there probably are deeper more psychological issues aswell personal to each individual youth, but if we want to genralise then these are the issues

and yes Fashion is a big factor as stpid as it sounds.

before i got into the job i wasnt one of those people who blamed the media, but i find myself looking at the medias role more and more. education and knowledge is a big problem to, a lot of the time the youths i work with cant see the wood for the tree's so when you sit down with them and talk about actions and consequences they react in a way that tells you it isnt somthing they've learnt or been taught about.

remeber doing a workshop with a group of teenage boys, and the question was why do you/young ppl want to be a part of a gang and most of the answers were to get girls and money. then we asked them what kind of girls do people in Gangs usually get, the said Skets, then we ask do you really wanna be with a sket, they said No.

just an example but its simple things like that, that help to change someones perspective on the direction they're taking.

the education system has to change aswell, and start teaching more worthwhile subjects.

(i've been told that in the next couple years the youth service and schools will be working closer together )

lmao

they want skets evetybody

its ok

they just want skets

this is deep

I said that was an example of making them look at the choices they made and why they made them.

i didnt say that was the reason the youth crime rates are what they are.

it was a example, a way of simplyfying it and making it short enough to include in the thread without writing an essay.

Also what kind of youth crime are we talking about are we talking about youths WANTING to do crime or youths DOING crime and if so then what are you talking? The gang related crimes hard drug dealing knifings and gun crime? These are not fashion related I promise...........................the kids that dont actually DO crime unless you consider WANTING to be that or do that crime.........................thats the fashion part.......................If a man is gettin yanked, sitting in stairwell waiting for the kittys, actually trying to wig guys not just holding a gun in his yard it aintt cos theyr wanted to be on a fashion tip they are way past that its for a load of other reasons?

This is why its important to give youth the info before its too late,

a lot of the time the goverment try to find a cure rather than work on prevention.

young people should be given the info before the get into to it not afterwards as tends to be the case.

a lot of the time young people get into gangs for pretty simple silly reasons, and before they know it things escalate onto higher level crime.

the aim is to stop them getting into gangs in the first place and make them think about the long term implications, somthing that young people dont really tend to consider. they live fortoday and tommorow whats gonna happen next week doesn't usually occupy their thoughts

Thats why im saying education must come into it aswell. schools and the media have to play a big part.

i find myself saying this quite often but i think in a lot of cases this generation is lost and we must now strive to help the future generations by implementing certain things.

i.e if you see a kid in primary school with obvious behavioural issues dont wait till he goes to secondary school to then just send him to a PRU/unit give him a mentor/worker to try to get to the bottom of the problem from early because often its left to long to try to sort these things out.