Nani - "Gerrard titles? liverpool hehe"

Admin.

NANI has wound up Liverpool by claiming Steven Gerrard should be more ambitious than to stay at Anfield.

The Portuguese winger already has enough gongs in his short Manchester United career to make Gerrard green with envy.

That is why Nani believes the England star should be thinking about moving on.

Nani, 23, said: "I do not know about the intentions of Steven Gerrard this summer but it is normal that a player with his quality desires to win titles and if this doesn't happen in Liverpool he could think about leaving."

In-form Nani, 23, says Gerrard will have nothing to celebrate tomorrow, either, with United ready to slap Liverpool back down after the Merseysiders' morale-boosting Europa League victory over Lille.

Nani said: "I bet we do not lose one match at Old Trafford until the end of season."

Such is Nani's confidence he can see United winning both Premier League and Champions League to complete a treble with the Carling Cup already in the bag.

He said: "If we happen to win the treble this year it won't surprise me. We've won one title and are fighting for the others. Nobody could doubt we deserve success.

"So we should, this is the best club in the world and we have a sensational squad."

Nani expected Liverpool to be one of those teams challenging them for the title at least this season. Instead, Rafa Benitez's side are locked in a battle just to scrape into a Champions League place.

He said: "In the summer I included Liverpool in the group who would race for the title and I am surprised at their situation. Perhaps injuries to key men have damaged them.

"It won't be easy for them to finish fourth. The other clubs will put up a terrific fight and the slightest change can affect the whole situation.

"It's a bit like our own battle to be champions."

Mind you, everything else is put to one side when the two most successful clubs in English football history meet. Nani said: "I have been in England for three years and I've seen the enormous rivalry between United and Liverpool. It's not just a game for three points - the pride of the fans is at stake.

"So this is a very special match for me which we must win to maintain our morale for the remaining league matches."

Nani's morale is certainly high right now as he enjoys his best spell since United paid Sporting Lisbon £14million in summer 2007.

That is a far cry from November when the Portuguese ace revealed details of Alex Ferguson's dressing-room rants in an outspoken attack on the boss.

Now Nani claims all is sweetness and light. He said: "The boss always demands the maximum of his players - and that is normal.

"I accept his orders because I respect his experience and I am very grateful to Mr Ferguson because never could I have predicted to live this sort of experience when I began my career in Portugal."

The feeling is mutual and Ferguson admires the way Nani has matured as a player.

Fergie said: "He has all the parts and what maturity does is to bring it all together. We are definitely seeing a great improvement in his form in recent weeks.

"He was unfortunate to be out for a few weeks in December. But when he got his chance he has taken it.

"When a player gets in the team and does well he can only hope the manager says that he will stay in.

"And in Nani's case, he has stayed in."

Swear Gerrard was the pivotal guy that spurred his team to come back from a near impossible position to win the champions league

what the f*ck has nani done besides being a nice piece of the furniture warming up the bench

Cant stand them man thinking just coz ur in a squad that wins trophies that u can talk though u contributed nothing to acheive it

any Hleb

NO it was Hamann coming off the bench at half time even guys like Murko will admit that.... Nani scored in a CL final shootout

and has 2 league titles SNM

Swear nani's got a CL medal and some prem ones ?

but whats his ACTUAL contribution to achieveing them? not much TBH

i could be wrong but i think he scored in the CL final shoot out and got some winning goals in the prem e.g. tottenham @ old trafford

Nani lands new deal

Manchester United is pleased to announce that Nani has signed a new four-year contract, keeping him at Old Trafford until at least June 2014.

Sir Alex Ferguson said: "Nani is an emerging talent within the team and has developed tremendously since joining the club.

"We are delighted he has signed a new contract and I am sure he will have a long and successful future here at Manchester United."

Nani, who signed for United in July 2007 from Sporting Lisbon, added: “I am delighted to have signed a new contract. It has been like a dream come true to play for Manchester United.

"The coaching staff have taught me so much about the game and I'm playing alongside some of the best players in the world.

"I'm looking forward to winning many more trophies with this team.”

• 4 years later...